Notices

Just over a week and sooooo anxious and depressed

Old 05-09-2016, 12:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Dim

Just over a week and sooooo anxious and depressed

Hey guys,
Haven't posted in a few days but i'm over a week sober and i'm having a bit of a hard time. Not craving alcohol, still quite functional but just feel like **** in general. I'm quite anxious for the better part of the day and as soon as that subsides i'm hit with a sense of melancholy and not much energy or drive to do much... I know its early days and i've got a psych I see weekly but looking for some motivation from anyone thats overcome these feelings/symptoms and can help me see the light...

Much love x
Old 05-09-2016, 12:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It's normal in the early days for emotions to be all over the map. Be patient, things will settle down with more sober time. It will get better, I promise.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Dim

what helped me was remembering I'd been a drinker for a long time...it was going to take a little while for my mind & body to heal...but they absolutely did

Early recovery is rough, but it's not the way it will always be - things will, and do, get better

D
Old 05-09-2016, 01:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Get connected. Go to meetings. Any kind. Help out. Sweep a floor, call someone. Don't just sit around. You got this.
Old 05-09-2016, 02:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

For me meditation helped pretty much wipe out anxiety, I also do a bit of first step Yoga, depression can be a tougher one, I still have off days but I know one of the triggers for it is sleep so I try and stay mindful, exercise helps a lot so I walk my dog twice a day and try to do things I love to do when not depressed, I do however take medication for it as well as depression was a major trigger in my past to drink.

Your doc can help you as I suspect the Phyc is doing talk therapy which also helps us overcome it.

Andrew
Old 05-09-2016, 02:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I promise it gets better! Just hold in there please. Once you make it through this dark period you can say goodbye to anxiety attacks or at least the severity you experience them at now. You can and will feel amazing if you just hold out. Do whatever you need to at this time to keep the positivity up but don't quit.
Old 05-09-2016, 02:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Dim

I'm into my second week sober and felt like you for atleast the first week and then it slowly got better over the last week. I'd feel ok one day then really down the next, concentration was shot.
I kept reminding myself that I want to be sober and get healthier. Just keep reminding yourself it does get better and the feelings are normal. I tried to just let myself feel the emotions. I used alcohol to dull the anxiety, depression etc.
It's normal just keep strong. It does get better.
Old 05-09-2016, 03:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am also in the early stages...

Are you doing any physical exercise ?
Even a short 15-20 minute walk will do wonders.

It gets better real soon.
Old 05-09-2016, 05:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm on day 6 of many day 6's so I know how you're feeling. I know for anxiety exercise really helps and will ultimately boost my energy.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know it's annoying to hear, but it really does take time and patience. You've gotten lots of good advice such as meditation and exercise. You can get through this.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Lots of excellent suggestions here. It does get better as long as we stay sober! Hang in there.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Re-Member

It does get better with a little time and work on our parts, Dim. Good for you for posting here and asking for help--that's a big part of the work I was just talking about. I've found that the more active I get in my recovery, the better it is. Wishing you the best today.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

i'm at day 29 and feel the same. that's not at all to discourage you. it hasn't been awful all month. after week 1 it got infinitely better for me. the next 3 weeks i felt great. now just for some odd reason my mind has drifted into a new rut. i'm just being patient, 1 minute at a time, waiting for this phase to pass just like week 1 did. daily AA meetings have been priceless. such a great escape. such a wave of relief when i get in there each day and get my mind off of it. all i do is count down til tomorrow's meeting and tah-dah i made it 1 more day. like a daily recharge.
Old 05-09-2016, 03:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hows it going Dim?

D
Old 05-09-2016, 04:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dim View Post

i'm hit with a sense of melancholy and not much energy or drive to do much...
In early sobriety I needed much rest and also had not much drive.
I think that a lot of healing goes on during this period.
I was torn up in mind, body and soul.

Nothing wrong with taking a good nap.

MB
Old 05-09-2016, 11:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Dim

Appreciate the support and replies. You guys truly are a lifeline. I'm being quite active, going to gym, meetings, diet etc. I know the journey isnt short or easy but i'm on it so i'll keep pushing. I've had a lot of significant life changes over the past 12 months and its probably been my worst 12 mths of alcohol abuse so essentially i'm starting over which is bitter sweet. I see glimpses of light at the end of the tunnel and its what i'm holding onto.