SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   How we stay sober (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/390956-how-we-stay-sober.html)

MIRecovery 05-08-2016 05:48 AM

How we stay sober

I ponder sobriety thoughts sitting on my porch drinking coffee making sure my Spinger Spaniel doesn't get into trouble while he keeps my cul-de-sac safe from baby bunnies and squirrels.

I am of the belief that there are two main phases of sobriety. Getting sober and staying sober. I got sober multiple times only to return to alcoholic drinking as soon as my resolve evaporated.

It will be 7 years in July and I doubt I will ever drink again because I never want to return to the hell my life had become but I am certain that I am capable of drinking again if don't actively maintain a program of recovery.

I'm not saying my way is the right way or the only way but I am saying this is why I remain sober.

Everyday is the same. I wake and do 4 things. I ask God for a day of sobriety and direction. I read AA daily reflections, I read a couple of pre-selected bible readings, I pray the 3rd step prayer, I check in on SR and will comment if I think I can be of help.

I have a large social net of sober friends on Facebook and I see what they are up to. I pay special attention to a few that are going through some major life challenges.

I go to 3 AA meetings a week. I always come early and stay late. I renue old friendships, make new ones, and maintain existing ones. These people are my friends and I love them.

Everyday I try to grow, I help where I can, I'm as honest as I can be and i have a whole set of social and non social activities.

I understand a lot of the world drinks but I avoid drinking situations but I will do fun things with people who have a beer or a glass of wine.

When I go to bed I thank God for a day of sobriety.

These activities have become my life and they are why I am sober.:tyou

Sobriety is not magic. Just curious what actions do others take on a repeating basis?

JimmyJam 05-08-2016 06:42 AM

Check-in on SR several times a day. Had a beer in my hand when not at work for most of my life so i needed to replace that routine. I alternate with water, coke zero, or coffee. More water mostly. I give myself a daily check up from the neck up by reading about something negative mentally or physically that will happen with long term heavy drinking. Works for me......

Did i mention reading daily on SR:)

Jimmy

Anna 05-08-2016 06:49 AM

Thanks for the great post, MIR.

I do my best to keep balance in my life. I walk a lot, I read spiritual books regularly, I spend time with my family and people I love. It's very seldom that I do something because I 'have' to. I try to live in the present in a Mindful way, and I feel gratitude all the time.

least 05-08-2016 06:50 AM

What helps me to stay sober (besides just not wanting to drink) is taking good care of my critters. Their love inspires me to stay sober so I can continue to take good care of them. :)

Anna reminded me that gratitude is another good way to stay sober. :)

CaseyW 05-08-2016 06:56 AM

I check-in on SR first thing every morning, offering help when I can or even just simple hello's or I'm listening's. This prepare me to be ready to be more likely to come here and ask for help when I need it myself. I also check back in here at least once every three or four hours unless I'm at work, and it's actually usually a lot more often than that. I don't just stick to my own little cliques here but try to always be welcoming and inclusive to newcomers.

I go to at least two AA meetings a week but usually at least four. Though I don't work the actual 12 steps, I find that the face-to-face fellowship is of the utmost importance to me, and I always hear something at meetings that I can use here and in the rest of my life. That 12th step is an amazing one. It's the difference maker in my own recovery.

I try and keep my side of the street clean in all areas of my life. If I feel like I owe someone an apology or other amends, I do so immediately. By taking immediate responsibility for my actions, I don't let those things fester in my head and build up into something bigger that might lead me to drink.

Dee74 05-08-2016 03:46 PM

I spend time here but I also make sure my life is in balance like Anna says.
If I have a life I Love, I want to keep, and I don't want to escape, it's all good :)

D

soberclover 05-08-2016 04:40 PM

I'm attending AA meetings now on a weekly basis at least once if not twice. I will be off from school soon so will be attending more. I'm hoping this will help me connect to more face-to-face support. I come on to SR multiples times during the day and try to respond daily. I say the Serenity Prayer....a LOT. I really try to stay out of my head and in the moment rather then projecting on the future or trying to figure out the past.

AdelineRose 05-08-2016 04:54 PM

When I wake up I meditate, I make a list of things I want to get done today, and I get ready. (I didn't get ready for 10 years as a heroin addict, so I enjoy getting dressed and doing my make up now everyday).

I make sure I take all my vitamins and all my medicines. I used to be terrible at taking medicines at the same time each day or hell even consistently everyday, not anymore! :)

I continue to go to counseling even if things are going smooth and I am feeling healthy and balanced. You don't need to be in a crisis to be going to counseling!

I continually look for ways to better myself and improve my life.

I come on here and comment where I feel I can add something, push someone, or just root someone on!

I end each day with reading a book I enjoy, saying my prayers and doing the rosary, and then I thank God for yet another day sober.