Notices

Before I get drunk.

Old 05-07-2016, 05:17 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
Sober, but kind of down and bummed out. Thanks everyone, but your energy would be better spent elsewhere.
Ah no don't drink. I sit here, day 4, after wicked bender. GI Tract hurts so much from barfing I can't swallow ibuprofen. You don't want this. And I'm down too. But so grateful to be sober. My worst day sober is better than my best day drunk. Hang in there. Relapse is horrid.....and for me deadly. Don't fall as low as I have.
Old 05-07-2016, 05:26 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sober, but kind of down and bummed out. Thanks everyone, but your energy would be better spent elsewhere.
Jeff whats bought this self pity on?

D
Old 05-07-2016, 05:37 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
EndGame

Do something different. It may not be too late to get to an AA meeting, and there will certainly be meetings tomorrow. And the next day. Like you and many others, I had all kinds of preconceptions about going to AA when I first got sober. My first thought was, "I can't believe I'm going to AA!" I was afraid that they might teach you how to control your drinking. It was the last thing I wanted. I was also terrified that I might see someone I know. An AA friend of mine at the time said, "If you do, they're there for the same reason you are."

I did meet meet people I knew. I was working as a bartender at a local place, so it was bound to happen. I told the first guy I knew there (a co-worker) that I came "for the gift shop." My first meeting lifted my spirits and left me looking forward to my next meeting. As for the people I knew...I came to learn that I wasn't an important enough person (beyond my own self-assessment) for other people to break my anonymity.

NYC can be a very small town. I met several public figures, among them celebrities, at some of the meetings I attended, including James Taylor, who is open about his recovery and his participation in AA.

The worst thing that could happen if you were to go is that you won't feel as down as you currently seem to feel.
Old 05-07-2016, 05:38 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thomas-don't drink. All that you've been through the last year has been a result of your drinking. Considering you're thinking about drinking despite what you've been through, that is how much this disease has a hold on you.

As Nonsensical says, "Starve the beast"!

Stay strong Thomas!
Old 05-07-2016, 05:44 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

The pendulum will swing and this will pass. Talk to us.

What is going on?

Keep your eye on the prize and use all your tools.

Don't let that AV win!!!
Old 05-07-2016, 05:47 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thomas, this is such a change from the supportive posts you made just 24 hours ago in someone else's thread. Are you prone to severe mood swings, and are you seeing a doctor about them?

Or maybe all that's needed is some acceptance of the discomfort and some patience. This mood won't last forever.

If you're still feeling bummed, maybe just go to bed early this evening and enjoy the fresh sober morning tomorrow.

I'm sure you know how difficult it is to get free of that molecular parasite, so please don't throw yourself back into that prison.

Best wishes to you!
Old 05-07-2016, 05:50 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
Do something different.
Second that. I had thoughts of drinking myself this evening, but not intentions. I guess its because I missed my train (it just never came came along)

And the last time that happened I drank 16 cans, then slept half the night in the copshop and the other half on the street. This time I caught a bus...
Old 05-07-2016, 07:13 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by courage2 View Post
It's your decision what you are. Are you a sober man of dignity and self-respect who can be trusted by his wife and friends? If that's what you are today, that's what you can be tonight, tomorrow, and the next day.

Don't drink.
^^^^^ So well said, courage.

I am catching this thread late, Jeff; you are worth the time spent by members on their responses times a thousand. See the great value in yourself that we see and treat yourself accordingly - don't succumb to the empty and deceptive promises of alcohol.
Old 05-07-2016, 07:37 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dharma33 View Post
You're a sober alcoholic today...and you will be glad of it tomorrow. Donna may be on TV, but you are carving a badass path yourself, which is recovering from addiction.

I'd be lying if I didn't say I would love one of those amazing hats, though.

How about turn off the TV, toss the ball around with the dog instead or take a walk? I'm glad you posted. ((((Jeff))))
Thanks Dharma. You can get one of those hats. I see so many of my "friends" with those hats today. I guess they are amazing.
Old 05-07-2016, 07:38 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Self pity can be as addictive as any booze. C'mon man - snap out of it Jeff.

D
you nailed it. self pity.
Old 05-07-2016, 07:40 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawkeye13 View Post
This

it's just a stupid horse race, and that's your AV talking in your ear again
It was my AV, but it was also seeing how someone I know personally made it, and I.....well, I'm here. Right?
Old 05-07-2016, 07:43 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ariesagain View Post
Honey, mint juleps are NASTY. As for the Derby...it's an awful lot of hoopla for something that lasts two whole minutes and smells like manure. Not worth drinking over, that's for sure.

Hang in there!
Thanks Aries, that actually made me smile. Appreciate it.
Old 05-07-2016, 07:48 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Jeff whats bought this self pity on?

D
Not sure Dee, part may be from the fact that my small family has been broken beyond repair. The other part may be that the SR family may not be what I thought it was.
Old 05-07-2016, 07:52 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Do something different. It may not be too late to get to an AA meeting, and there will certainly be meetings tomorrow. And the next day. Like you and many others, I had all kinds of preconceptions about going to AA when I first got sober. My first thought was, "I can't believe I'm going to AA!" I was afraid that they might teach you how to control your drinking. It was the last thing I wanted. I was also terrified that I might see someone I know. An AA friend of mine at the time said, "If you do, they're there for the same reason you are."

I did meet meet people I knew. I was working as a bartender at a local place, so it was bound to happen. I told the first guy I knew there (a co-worker) that I came "for the gift shop." My first meeting lifted my spirits and left me looking forward to my next meeting. As for the people I knew...I came to learn that I wasn't an important enough person (beyond my own self-assessment) for other people to break my anonymity.

NYC can be a very small town. I met several public figures, among them celebrities, at some of the meetings I attended, including James Taylor, who is open about his recovery and his participation in AA.

The worst thing that could happen if you were to go is that you won't feel as down as you currently seem to feel.
Endgame, I did not always understand your angle, but as time has gone by, I "get it". And I appreciate your input. That being said, I'm from the Midwest. You are in New York, and while I could be wrong, things are much more direct. With that being said, just because you are direct doesn't make it wrong. But for us, it takes some getting used to.
Old 05-07-2016, 07:53 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Hang in there Jeff. Recovery like life, is full of ups and downs. You know as well as any of us that drinking will only bring you further down. You've got to make your own path, start by waking up sober tomorrow morning.

Not worth the pain buddy.
Old 05-07-2016, 07:55 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nowsthetime View Post
The pendulum will swing and this will pass. Talk to us.

What is going on?

Keep your eye on the prize and use all your tools.

Don't let that AV win!!!
I want to answer your questions, because they will help me. But I cannot at this time. There are things going on that I'm just learning about, and I'm sad and disgusted. Yet, in the end, I will be looked to for "strength". Yet they keep their secrets from me. Its really messed up.
Old 05-07-2016, 07:57 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Solarion View Post
Thomas, this is such a change from the supportive posts you made just 24 hours ago in someone else's thread. Are you prone to severe mood swings, and are you seeing a doctor about them?
Yes, prone to mood swings. Not seeing a doctor.
Old 05-07-2016, 08:01 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
EndGame

Endgame, I did not always understand your angle, but as time has gone by, I "get it". And I appreciate your input. That being said, I'm from the Midwest. You are in New York, and while I could be wrong, things are much more direct. With that being said, just because you are direct doesn't make it wrong. But for us, it takes some getting used to.
Thank you for the compliment, but it's not always a good thing to promote regional or other stereotypes. Your yourself have commented in this thread on how destructive your family members keeping things from you is and has been. Learning to be more direct about what you're thinking, feeling and going through may be the cutting edge for you.

Besides, most of the midwesterners I've met have been pretty direct, both in their praise and in their criticism.

And I don't have an "angle."
Old 05-07-2016, 08:11 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Thank you for the compliment, but it's not always a good thing to promote regional or other stereotypes. Your yourself have commented in this thread on how destructive your family members keeping things from you is and has been. Learning to be more direct about what you're thinking, feeling and going through may be the cutting edge for you.

Besides, most of the midwesterners I've met have been pretty direct, both in their praise and in their criticism.

And I don't have an "angle."
EndGame, the reason I mentioned what I did is because I worked for West Publishing, and then Thomson-West and now Thomson Reuters...with whom I've met my wife. My job was to help attorneys install their software on their computers and get it working. Then it went far beyond that. Sorry to admit, I have a "prejudice" to new yorkers. You do not fall into that category, and I am sorry if I made it seem that way. At the end of the day, new York attorney's...regardless of wealth, is a miserable ******* bunch of persons.

Last edited by Dee74; 05-07-2016 at 11:13 PM.
Old 05-07-2016, 08:20 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Administrator

Not sure Dee, part may be from the fact that my small family has been broken beyond repair. The other part may be that the SR family may not be what I thought it was.
Obviously somethings happened in your real family that's upset you.

I hope, if you can't talk about it here, you'll talk about it somewhere else because it sounds like you're taking a huge burden on yourself.

I say taking on because it really is a choice. I spent years taking other peoples burdens on, asked or not. The only way I could deal with the crushing responsibility back then was to drink.

That didn't work out so well.

Eventually I learned not everything is my responsibility to fix or hold together.

Don't bottle this up. Even if you write it out and never show anyone, that's a start - let it out.

I wouldn't worry about the SR family tho - you may not be getting the responses you want or expected, but honestly I think they're the ones you need?

Noone here wants to see you go backwards Jeff and altho people are kind, noones going to BS you just to make you feel good - that's an extraordinary support that not many other many people have, alcoholic or not

D

Last edited by Dee74; 05-07-2016 at 11:14 PM.