Notices

thoughts on non-alcoholic beer

Old 05-22-2016, 07:04 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I just googled alcohol in filtered water and came up with nothin? But apparently you can filter cheap vodka through a water filter. Who knew? I always bought good stuff. Yikes. I probably would have tried that.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:13 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

We all learn a lot from one another here on SR. We're equals here, and all here for the same reason.

That's why you don't commonly see "listen to those of us who've been sober longer" kind of messages.

But in this case, I'm going to deviate from that.

Among those of us who've been sober for a pretty decent chunk of time, you'll see the answer is a uniform "thumbs down." I've been on SR long enough to see the occasional person come back after having started with "NA" -- and good intentions -- and have it go south on them. As many have stated here, deciding from the start to go with new beverages -- sparkling water, fruit juice, etc. -- instead of "fake" alcohol is a choice that eliminates one of the vulnerabilities.
Old 05-22-2016, 10:19 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Into the Void

I enjoy an NA beer about once a week with no bad effects as I can tell. There are some pretty good ones out of Germany, including Clausthaler, which they sell in Trader Joe's and Costco in my part of the world. I've even pounded 3 or 4 over the course of some parties to have something to drink. For me, it's not triggering at all. There's no buzz. If anything, it's like de-training Pavlov's dog. You ring the bell but no treat is given. Old association is broken.
Old 05-23-2016, 06:04 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

My sponsor always told me "non-alcoholic beer is for non-alcoholics." I had to leave the whole lifestyle behind...and that meant glamorizing drinking or thinking it was in any way, shape or form "good for me" behind. So...no non-alcoholic beers, or virgin coladas in fancy glasses....to me that was glamorizing drinking....thinking I still needed to hold that glass, have that cold non-alcoholic brewski to feel "a part of" life. Truth is I don't. Alcohol brought me to my knees and I want nothing to do with it...in any form....even simply the "mirage of alcohol." I didn't and don't want it to be any part of my life. There's nothing left in a drink for me. Nothing.
Old 05-23-2016, 08:48 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by Fluffer View Post
If anything, it's like de-training Pavlov's dog. You ring the bell but no treat is given. Old association is broken.
Yet the dog still craves the treat and, one way or another, will eventually get it. In the interim, he remains frustrated and, if he has human-like traits, resentful.

I have a brief and unremarkable history with NA beer. It wasn't a big deal back when I first got sober, and I didn't think much of it at first (which was part of the problem).

I regularly met friends for dinner by the time I was sober for a couple of years. Many of them drank one or two beers or a glass of wine, and a few didn't drink at all. This was never a problem for me. I decided one night, at about ten years sober and when we were having Mexican food that an NA beer would go nicely with what I ordered for dinner. I did this a few more times after that, based on what I was eating. And then I stopped doing it.

I wasn't afraid that I'd drink the real thing and get drunk; I was more concerned with the behavior of ordering the beer and thinking that it would satisfy me. Something was not "right" about it, and the more I did it, the more uncomfortable I was about doing it. Something like returning to the scene of the crime, or to a place that held bad memories for me. In the end, it was as though I was using NA beer as a placeholder until I was ready for the real thing again. I occasionally had thoughts and feelings around "getting away with something" that were reminiscent of my thinking and feelings while I was actively drinking. And I truly didn't need any of those things in my life.

So I touched the fire, a small flame in the grand scheme of things, but I wasn't at all interested to discover "what happens next."
Old 05-23-2016, 09:17 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by oasis101 View Post
I had a near beer yesterday and it actually helped me out of a day of really bad cravings. I was so sick of coke (sugar)....one more soda was going to put me over the edge. Having something different without the guilt was nice.

After I felt fine and today I have no cravings or interest. The board comments make me feel guilty, but in all honesty it got me through a really hard day. I rarely have strong cravings, this was a first in 6 months....so my thought is it might be okay, but definitely not often and never more than one on occasion. I think if you keep ordering more or even buy a six pack it is definitely leading down the wrong road, one with your wife on your anniversary while she has a glass of wine...for me that was okay.
oasis, i quote your post in full because i see so many flags.
the flags i see are in your approach to the substance/the drinking of it: "after i felt fine...no interest...comments make me feel guilty...it might be okay....definitely not often and never more than one on occasion....if more [ ]it is definitely leading down the wrong road..."

see, you're cautioning yourself. thinking about limits: how much is okay, how much is too much, when is it okay, how often, ...you're circumscribing the thing in just the way i tried to control my drinking.
if you were to substitute water, seltzer, soda in your post instead of LA beer, your post wouldn't hold together. it would be nonsensical. superfluous.which is exactly where the big flag sits: because it's not irrelevant.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:56 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Into the Void

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
Yet the dog still craves the treat and, one way or another, will eventually get it. In the interim, he remains frustrated and, if he has human-like traits, resentful.

I have a brief and unremarkable history with NA beer. It wasn't a big deal back when I first got sober, and I didn't think much of it at first (which was part of the problem).

I regularly met friends for dinner by the time I was sober for a couple of years. Many of them drank one or two beers or a glass of wine, and a few didn't drink at all. This was never a problem for me. I decided one night, at about ten years sober and when we were having Mexican food that an NA beer would go nicely with what I ordered for dinner. I did this a few more times after that, based on what I was eating. And then I stopped doing it.

I wasn't afraid that I'd drink the real thing and get drunk; I was more concerned with the behavior of ordering the beer and thinking that it would satisfy me. Something was not "right" about it, and the more I did it, the more uncomfortable I was about doing it. Something like returning to the scene of the crime, or to a place that held bad memories for me. In the end, it was as though I was using NA beer as a placeholder until I was ready for the real thing again. I occasionally had thoughts and feelings around "getting away with something" that were reminiscent of my thinking and feelings while I was actively drinking. And I truly didn't need any of those things in my life.

So I touched the fire, a small flame in the grand scheme of things, but I wasn't at all interested to discover "what happens next."
Yeah, you probably shouldn't drink them if you have all that stuff going on in the background. For me there is no anticipation, no craving and no cheap thrill in getting away with it, it's just a neutral beverage which goes nicely with some foods or activities. Pretty indifferent, really. In any event, I'm glad you checked yourself before something bad happened.
Old 05-23-2016, 05:49 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Nope. Don't think it is a good idea.