Notices

Haven't said hi in a while.

Old 05-06-2016, 06:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Until It Sleeps

Haven't said hi in a while.

I hop, in and read some posts from time to time to try and keep up. But haven't posted on the boards in forever. Things have been really well and life is good. But I have drank, usually a 6 pack, much better than the half bottles of scotch in years past. I go a few weeks on then off, my job requires me to come in after hours for calls, so I have always turned it off, like a robot. As each time off time gets longer, I have noticed when I do pick up a drink, like on a Friday night, I feel awful the next day, even if its only 3-4 beers. Body and head aches, unreal, then I feel guilty, kicking my self for letting my self do it again. I'm 42, so I really feel now, more than before my body is telling me, it just doesn't want it. I don't know if anyone else has had similar experiences, because life is bright for me, but I keep dragging this stone around with me.
So for the past few weeks I have been setting today as the day to let it all go. Good diet with lots of nutrients, plenty of rest, and activities I can do when I am restless. Well, just wanted to say Hi, and I am gonna lean you guys as much as I can make it to the keyboard.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to see you again, MyShadow.

Yes, I kept picking up - long after it wasn't fun or relaxing any more. I still don't know what I thought I was gaining by getting numb & foggy. One thing's for sure - we don't need it in our lives. I hope you'll keep posting.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back My Shadow

Yeah I never got anywhere until I gave up the booze for good.

Any amount of alcohol screwed me up mentally and physically by the end of my drinking career

Coming back to SR is a good place to re-start recovery MS.

D
Old 05-06-2016, 06:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I'm 41 years old and 55 days sober today. I had most definitely noticed over the last couple of years that I didn't have to drink near as much to feel twice as bad the next day. This addiction/illness/disease/whatever you want to call it is most definitely progressive.

Today's a wonderful day to be the first day of a new chapter in your life. Hope you'll stick close and post often. Wishing you the best!
Old 05-06-2016, 07:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Until It Sleeps

Yeah its really weird, because the longest run was 3 months. Life was very stressful then, I know why I went back. Not now though, it really feels different physically more than mentally.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Until It Sleeps

Stupid Java updates, cant get in the chat room right now.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Have you got a plan myshadow ?
Old 05-07-2016, 08:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Until It Sleeps

Short term yes. Working on the 60+ day side of things. Dee74's links are my knowledge base at the moment.
Old 05-07-2016, 09:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It sounds like drinking is more of a nuisance than a party, so just quitting sounds like the next logical step.
Old 05-07-2016, 12:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Until It Sleeps

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
It sounds like drinking is more of a nuisance than a party, so just quitting sounds like the next logical step.
As well as boredom. Kids are grown, wife and I have a few days a month off together. I am going to start knocking my to do lists out, instead of beer and a ballgame.
Old 05-07-2016, 02:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Oh yes, the boredom, it IS the enemy. I explained to my wife early on to just leave me alone. I would read voraciously because it kept my mind busy.
Old 05-07-2016, 02:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Until It Sleeps

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
Oh yes, the boredom, it IS the enemy. I explained to my wife early on to just leave me alone. I would read voraciously because it kept my mind busy.
Yeah I have a stack of books I need to read. A hotrod in the garage I can play with. Plenty to do around the house and yard. Its a work weekend for me so between calls I am just laying around taking it easy. I will save my tasks for the times I am alone and need something to fill the drinking time slots.