Notices

New to recovery

Old 05-06-2016, 05:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to recovery

Hi,
I am trying to quit drinking and it has been 5 days so far. That is a big step for me and I am determined to do this. I have been reading the post. What does everyone mean by do you have a plan?
Old 05-06-2016, 06:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Welcome to SR, Sammy1980!

Basically a plan is thinking through what you're going to do to quit drinking. Things such as: What are you going to do when those thoughts of drinking come? What changes are you going to make in your life to help you not drink? What are you going to do to fill your time now that you're not drinking? What are you going to do about the wreckage that you've caused yourself and others because of your drinking? And many other possible questions.

A few good posts on the subject:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...very-plan.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Congrats on 5 days!
Old 05-06-2016, 06:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to have you join us, Sammy. Well done on your 5 sober days. We all know how difficult those first ones can be. We're in this together, and we will make it. There's no doubt.

Casey thanks for posting those links for Sammy.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Sammy, glad to have you here!
Old 05-06-2016, 07:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats on 5 days...those days will add up to weeks and months. Casey gave you some great information.
A plan will give you a framework to help keep you accountable. That plan can include counseling, visiting this forum, changing your daily routine around 'drinking times', AA if that is your thing, learning coping skills for situations where you may be around others drinking, etc...
Old 05-06-2016, 07:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Until It Sleeps

Congrats and hang in there!
Old 05-06-2016, 08:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Sammy - I hope you'll read the link Casey posted - that should help you get a better idea of what a plan is

there's a ton of support here - welcome

D
Old 05-06-2016, 09:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Sammy! You can do this!
Old 05-06-2016, 09:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Sammy. Welcome.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Sammy!

It's good to have a newcomer here like yourself. Congratulations on 5 days so far, keep focusing on one day at a time. Feel free to lean on us in SR on your road to healing. Many of us have experienced what you may be feeling or going through.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Sammy
Old 05-07-2016, 10:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You'll find lots of support and good ideas here.
Old 05-07-2016, 12:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone!
Today is day 6. I know that this is just the beginning and it will probably get harder before it gets easy. I have tried a couple of times before and know that if I I take that first drink this time it will take me to long to start again.
I always had two beers and two shots when I would get home from work so that is the hardest time for me. Oh yeah and then there is the weekend where I would drink up to 10 beers on Saturday and Sunday. I can not take the guilt and shame of it any longer and I need to STOP.
Old 05-07-2016, 01:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Sammy. It's a great idea to make a plan.

One thing I learnt early on are the common HALT triggers. Hungry, Angry, Lonely and Tired. Part of your plan might be how to avoid these things, and what you might do in the event of finding yourself being any of these things. They're especially powerful when they join forces, so, for example, being Lonely and Tired can really cue those cravings rattling us.

Part of my plan was to ensure that I ate regular healthy meals, and that there were snacks available in the fridge or in my handbag. Another part was to have a list of people to reach out to if I got lonely, and AA meetings to go to do I could build up a network of sober friends (mine were mostly drinking buddies by the time I stopped drinking). Anger was a tricky one, as I had to learn new ways to deal with that, and AA helped with that as well once I'd started working the steps.

A book that I'd recommend is Living Sober. It is a little AA book, but even if you don't intend to go to AA, the advice and tips in there are great. You can get it at an AA meeting, or its available to buy online. I got mine for my Kindle via Amazon I think.