Notices

Online Sponsor

Old 05-05-2016, 06:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Online Sponsor

Hello fellow travelers. I am inquiring about getting an online sponsor. Anyone have experience or information about where I might find someone. I may find one in person as well. But thought it would interesting, helpful.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I haven't heard of anything like that around here, but everyone is so supportive, keep posting and you'll get many great responses.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

FWIW, I believe communication is much better with an in person sponsor. My sponsor wouldn't accept texts the first year when a phone could be used and demanded that I see him in person once a week minimum. His explanation is that is very easy to be misunderstood using written communication, less so over the phone and in person communication is by far the most effective. I've sponsored and I agree with him completely.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree with Volshen.

It's like having a lot of sponsors 24/7!

Welcome. Read and post a lot. It has really helped me. I don't do AA so not sure how that works.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
DOS: 08-16-2012

A sponsorship really needs to be face to face. If you are looking for a sponsor that means you should be attending meetings anyway so finding a sponsor at a meeting shouldn't be a problem for you. Get to know some folks at the meetings and find someone with some sober time who you like and seem to be at a good spot in life and ask how they have done it. Good luck and remember to have some fun!
Old 05-05-2016, 11:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by piperjax View Post
Hello fellow travelers. I am inquiring about getting an online sponsor. Anyone have experience or information about where I might find someone. I may find one in person as well. But thought it would interesting, helpful.
AA has a forum online. Google E-AA. I'm almost positive you can find an online sponsor there.

Let us know how it works out.
Old 05-06-2016, 02:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have seen a few people ask this question here on the forum in the past however I am not sure if they found someone, I have a couple of people from this forum that I communicate with almost daily, it's a support to each other vs a in person sponsor and it's great to have, well for me. Although we do not meet in person there is an accountability there in that if one of us hasn't posted here in a few days we will ask each other how things are going.

Wishing you the best, I attend an AA online group out of California which is an amazing group, PM me if you want their site address.

Andrew
Old 05-06-2016, 07:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

piperjax, sponsor means different things to different people. AA has sponsors. What you may find here instead is an online friend you communicate with frequently. I would start by "friending" someone I liked with some sobriety, then PM them. It might evolve into what you seek.