Notices

When does one go from recovery to recovered?

Old 05-07-2016, 01:22 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by awuh1 View Post
I suspect that my opinion is difficult for you to accept because you wish to be able to (learn how to?) drink moderately.
It's the idea that the people who are able to "drink moderately" are somehow a superior kind of people, or at least that such people are "normal" that I have trouble with.

To me, it is completely unnatural and abnormal to drink, ever, in any amount.

If there would exist actual evidence that people under the influence of alcohol (or other drugs) are morally, physically, and cognitively superior, then it would make sense to drink.
But as things stand, consuming even small amounts of alcohol does not lead to better driving skills, better athletic performance, better performance at work etc. In fact, it decreases them. What to speak of larger amounts.

Are you drinking right now blossom?
No.

But if the social promise is that by drinking, one will be normal and socially acceptable -- who wouldn't want to drink??

I think our social norms are inconsistent (to the point of implicitly endorsing bad faith) and this is where the real problem is.
We are basically taught that in order to be acceptable in one area of life (social; feeling good about oneself), we need to endanger our performance in other areas (work, sports, health).
This is social crazy-making!

At the large scale, society seemingly solves this incosistency by discriminating against and pathologizing those who, for whatever reason, do not drink or don't handle alcohol well.

In her book "Radical Acceptance: Embracing Your Life With the Heart of a Buddha" Tara Brach notes that people's efforts to improve themselves or to recover are sometimes yet another form of (self-)rejection; that they have been rejected by others, and then they (continue to) reject themselves. In relation to this, I think that people in recovery are expected to internalize the social beliefs about the positivity of drinking and the belief that those who don't drink or who don't handle alcohol well are weaklings or pathological. This way, society can keep on functioning, at the expense of those it rejects.
Old 05-07-2016, 03:05 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberaccountant View Post
I am not sure if others of you are or have ever been involved with A.A., but I often find myself asking this question as I have been attending their meetings from time to time:

When does one go from being in recovery to recovered?

Whether it be alcoholism, narcotics, emotions, etc. Is one always stuck in recovery, or is there a point when an individual becomes recovered? It troubles me to believe that one cannot ever get past this.
I feel the same way and do not believe that one cannot get past this.

I hear lots of people on this thread saying it is not possible to drink 'moderately' any more, but nobody has defined what that 'moderate' is.

Let's face it, all of us are on here because our ideas of 'moderate' were completely loopy!

My honest belief is that the fully recovered person will genuinely not want to have a drink, and he/she will certainly not drink to fill any void in their life.

More importantly, he/she will recognise immediately if he is in danger of returning to his dysfunctional ways.

The fully recovered person will therefore virtually never drink, and that will be drinking 'moderately'.
Old 05-07-2016, 03:16 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Administrator

The fully recovered person will therefore virtually never drink, and that will be drinking 'moderately'.
The 'virtually' worries me there Kara.

I genuinely do not want to have a drink, and I no longer look to drink to fill any void in my life. I feel very confident I'll recognise immediately if I'm in danger of returning to dysfunctional ways.

I have no need or want to drink at all, and I have a deep belief that will remain the case forever, so long as I remember it rests on me not consuming alcohol again.

Where does the virtually come in?

D

Last edited by Dee74; 05-07-2016 at 03:59 AM.
Old 05-07-2016, 03:19 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by blossom123 View Post
It's the idea that the people who are able to "drink moderately" are somehow a superior kind of people, or at least that such people are "normal" that I have trouble with.

But if the social promise is that by drinking, one will be normal and socially acceptable -- who wouldn't want to drink??

In relation to this, I think that people in recovery are expected to internalize the social beliefs about the positivity of drinking and the belief that those who don't drink or who don't handle alcohol well are weaklings or pathological. This way, society can keep on functioning, at the expense of those it rejects.
Brilliant - thank you so much Blossom123.
Old 05-07-2016, 06:02 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Dee74;5942202]The 'virtually' worries me there Kara.

I am scared at the prospect of believing that one more drink will turn me in to some kind of alcoholic zombie or that, if I do ever have a drink again, I should regard it as a 'relapse'. It just feels a bit out of balance for me.

The virtually therefore comes in along the lines that I do not want to become just as addicted to the concept of insisting on myself a non-drinker as I was previously addicted to drinking too much. I think both are unhealthy.

I'm not advocating drinking, but I don't want to advocate fear either. I don't want to be afraid of having another drink, and neither do I want to be afraid of ever considering myself 'recovered'.

That said it is true, as many people in this thread have said, that alcohol hasn't got much going for it. So why then would you want another drink? And why, again, would you be afraid of having one?
Old 05-07-2016, 06:10 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

i have recovered have recovered from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body, meaning this:
And we have ceased fighting anything or anyone - even alcohol. For by this time sanity will have returned. We will seldom be interested in liquor. If tempted, we recoil from it as from a hot flame. We react sanely and normally, and we will find that this has happened automatically. We will see that our new attitude toward liquor has been given us without any thought or effort on our part. It just comes! That is the miracle of it. We are not fighting it, neither are we avoiding temptation. We feel as though we had been placed in a position of neutrality - safe and protected. We have not even sworn off. Instead, the problem has been removed. It does not exist for us. We are neither cocky nor are we afraid. That is our experience. That is how we react so long as we keep in fit spiritual condition.

the problem I had with alcohol no longer exists. my thinking about alcohol is not what it was.
however

i still have other thinking im in recovery for.
Old 05-07-2016, 06:10 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Administrator

I am scared at the prospect of believing that one more drink will turn me in to some kind of alcoholic zombie or that, if I do ever have a drink again, I should regard it as a 'relapse'. It just feels a bit out of balance for me.

The virtually therefore comes in along the lines that I do not want to become just as addicted to the concept of insisting on myself a non-drinker as I was previously addicted to drinking too much. I think both are unhealthy.

I'm not advocating drinking, but I don't want to advocate fear either. I don't want to be afraid of having another drink, and neither do I want to be afraid of ever considering myself 'recovered'.

That said it is true, as many people in this thread have said, that alcohol hasn't got much going for it. So why then would you want another drink? And why, again, would you be afraid of having one?
For me, I don't need another drink to know what will happen sooner or later - I've already done the research.

I nearly killed myself with my drinking.

If I start believing that it might be ok for me to drink again, I run the risk of picking up where I left off.

It might look like fear is the motivating force there, but it's really not - like I said I already know what will happen. I have no particular fear about it because I've already lived it.

I don't want to do that.

I love this life and I love the person I've become.

It's peace happiness and serenity that keeps me sober, not fear.

I understand why you would not want to be obsessive or rigid about anything right now, but I'm not scared of that either now

I believe it really is ok to stand for something, and for me that something is no more drinking...ever

D
Old 05-07-2016, 06:13 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

as per the National institute on Alcohol abuse and alcoholism:
Moderate alcohol consumption:

According to the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, moderate drinking is up to 1 drink per day for women and up to 2 drinks per day for men.

Binge Drinking:

NIAAA defines binge drinking as a pattern of drinking that brings blood alcohol concentration (BAC) levels to 0.08 g/dL. This typically occurs after 4 drinks for women and 5 drinks for men—in about 2 hours.

The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), which conducts the annual National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH), defines binge drinking as drinking 5 or more alcoholic drinks on the same occasion on at least 1 day in the past 30 days.

Heavy Drinking:

SAMHSA defines heavy drinking as drinking 5 or more drinks on the same occasion on each of 5 or more days in the past 30 days.

from the CDC:

What does moderate drinking mean?

According to the Dietary Guidelines for Americans,1 moderate alcohol consumption is defined as having up to 1 drink per day for women and up to 2 drinks per day for men. This definition is referring to the amount consumed on any single day and is not intended as an average over several days. However, the Dietary Guidelines do not recommend that individuals who do not drink alcohol start drinking for any reason.
Old 05-07-2016, 06:17 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Kara888;5942365]
Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
The 'virtually' worries me there Kara.

I am scared at the prospect of believing that one more drink will turn me in to some kind of alcoholic zombie or that, if I do ever have a drink again, I should regard it as a 'relapse'. It just feels a bit out of balance for me
it very well could be worse that becoming an alcoholic zombie, and its a healthy fear i have.

on the relapse thing
to thine own self be true
Old 05-07-2016, 06:39 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Thank you Dee74 and tomsteve.

You have both made some very valid points. I especially admire yours, Dee74 (no offence, tomsteve, your posts are also lovely ;-)).

I am happy that I am more of a problem to myself than alcohol is. My problem does not therefore lie in a bottle, any more than the solution to any of my problems does.

I therefore cannot blame my particular problem on alcohol. I blame it on me and a poor attitude to life. I was never physically addicted, I had just developed a very bad psychological dependency and habit of abuse as a way of escape.

I am therefore not fearful of the way my physical body might react to another drink. My physical body will be fine. It's my head I have to worry about.
Old 05-07-2016, 06:53 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

For (me) the answer is an easy one to answer.

Originally Posted by Kara888 View Post

I am scared at the prospect of believing that one more drink will turn me in to some kind of alcoholic zombie or that, if I do ever have a drink again, I should regard it as a 'relapse'.
If I may Kara I would like to play that concept out in my mind considering one of my past experiences.

Back in 1992 I was coming up on three years of sobriety.
I went down to the store so as to prove to the ex wife
how truly displeased I was with her and returned with a 6 pack.
I only drank one beer and gave the rest away to our renters.
Proxy a week later I bought and drank 2 beers.
A week or two later I drank 3 or 4 beers.

So here I sit today and ask of myself
at what point in time did I relapse ?
For me the answer is an easy one to answer.

Have a nice sober day,
M-Bob
Old 05-07-2016, 07:12 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Fair enough. There are no right or wrong answers, of course, but just found this quote from the article below in Psychology Today:

"So which is it? Is the 12-Step-based model of absolute abstinence still scientifically accurate or does the “moderation management” approach championed by ModerateDrinking.com and elsewhere have a place in modern addiction care?

The answer comes down to what kind of drinker you are – why do you drink, how much do you drink, and how long have you been in this pattern?"

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...ink-moderately
Old 05-07-2016, 07:46 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Fact is for me ''alcoholism does not come in bottles it comes in people '' if it came in bottles then everyone who drank would become alcoholics .

I was a ''chronic alcoholic ''

Chronic alcoholics cannot ever moderate or control their drinking .

Those who may not be sure if they are alcoholics , try to stop putting limitations on the amount or on how many , drop all barriers and freely go for a drink , that is the surest way to find out if one has a problem , there are social /moderate /occasional drinkers /heavy drinkers /bout drinkers .

Alcohol is just one symptom of alcoholism , cravings/compulsions and obsession are just one of the descriptions of alcoholics , selfishness and self centeredness are others it affects the alcoholic psychically mentally and coupled with a spiritual malady . alcoholics problem is centered in the mind

Social /moderate drinkers usually have freedom of actions without restriction and do not usually count/limit their drinks , they go out to enjoy themselves , alcoholics of my type drink to get drunk to blackout and oblivion intentionally with no restriction .

Some may say that is ''labels '' fact is if you drink and it causes problems no matter how you define it , question is what you doing bout it ?
Regards Stevie recovered 12 03 2006
Old 05-07-2016, 07:47 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Quit 4/17/15

The fact that all of us are on SR indicates that alcohol has become a huge problem in our lives or the lives of a loved one. People who can have a drink or two and stop are not spending their free time on SR wondering if they can moderate their drinking.

It was a hope of mine in early recovery that I would one day be able to be a moderate drinker. After all the things that alcohol ruined in my life, the fact that I still hoped to be able to return to drinking was pure craziness and addictive thinking.

Substitute heroin for alcohol. If I stopped using heroin, it would be nuts to think that I could or would even want to go back to "moderate" heroin use. Alcohol is no different for us.

Why play with fire?
Old 05-07-2016, 07:51 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

In early recovery I really resented the fact that I would always be in recovery. I hadn't accepted the fact that if I had one drink I would return to drinking alcoholically once again. In AA I saw people try to return to normal drinking and all of them returned to drinking alcoholically. Some of them winding up in jail or hospitals in as little as one day. Knowing what will happen if I have just one drink I am so glad to accept the fact that I will always be in recovery!
Old 05-07-2016, 08:07 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by blossom123 View Post
This idealizes / idolizes those who can drink it "moderately"!

Also: So you're saying that some people have such cells and tissues in their bodies that aren't adversely affected by alcohol, while other people known as alcoholics have such cells and tissues in their bodies that are adversely affected by alcohol?

That some people can get brain damage etc. from drinking alcohol, and others don't?

If alcohol has the same damaging effect on different people's cells and tissues, then it's poison, and the answer for why some people can "drink moderately" lies in something else.

No. Your analogy does not hold.

Alcohol has a long-standing universal cultural history of being considered an intoxicant, while water and food don't.

There is some cultural variation as to what particular substances are considered intoxicating (e.g. some think that real tea and coffee are intoxicants and others don't think they are intoxicants).
But alcohol is generally considered an intoxicant.

- - -

That is has nothing to do with alcohol, but a lot of with how much and esp. how, in what manner one has internalized particular social norms (especially those concerning public self-image).

Some research in psychology shows that there are two ways to internalize something: by introjection or by identification. There is, however, a difference between people who have internalized something and those who have introjected it: those who identify with a particular belief or social norm feel empowered, feel normal; whereas those who introjected it, feel more helpless and depressed.

I couldn't find a conveniently available sociological or psychological study on this online, but I found some from the field of religiosity:
https://books.google.si/books?id=6LN...ligion&f=false

http://selfdeterminationtheory.org/S...nRigbyKing.pdf

I think similar applies to how people internalize beliefs, social norms even when they aren't specifically religious; such as beliefs and social norms about how a person must present themselves in public or what to think of oneself.

So, for example, a person can internalize the social norm"One must always be presentable" as an introjection or as an identification. If they identify with it, they feel empowered, feel good about it; if they introject it, they feel helpless about it. At first glance, externally, both people may appear the same (both always look presentable), but the former are happy about it and the latter aren't.

I think it's similar with our social norm "Drinking alcohol is normal and necessary." Those who identify with this norm are "able to drink moderately". Those who have introjected it, will have troubles.
No. I was responding to your statement that alcohol is poison. I was pointing out that it is not. Some people can drink moderately---others cannot. But you feel that society says drinking is "necessary." I think that is why you think anyone acknowledging that some can drink moderately is in some way praising them.

But that does not "idealize" those who drink moderately. I do not think the ability to drink moderately (or the inability to do so) in anyway correlates to one's worth. Your assumption that drinking moderately was in some way praiseworthy is (I think) common in early sobriety.

Likewise, I do not really care if it is learned or genetic behavior. This is a question of great interest in early sobriety (I think). But eventually, you can get to the point that it is of no more interest than why I love arugula but it makes my friend gag. Is that learned or genetic? I really do not care other than to remember that I cannot serve him a salad with that green in it.

I think assigning hierarchies that non-drinkers or moderate drinkers are some how superior to heavy drinkers or drunks is just a way to beat up on yourself.

I think looking at a reason why some people can drink and others cannot might be interesting for some people though it is not to me. But reading what you said, it sounds as if you are looking to define the ability of some people to drink moderately as some sort of injustice to you. You first defined alcohol as poison across the board and then took my note that most people can drink moderately as some sort of praise of them.

I think you are angry about not being able to drink and that is normal and understandable. I think though it would be helpful to let yourself express that painful feeling rather than projecting onto other people.

We understand and will listen if you rail against the injustice of having to work at sobriety. We will listen if you tell us how angry you are about the situation you are in.
Old 05-07-2016, 05:22 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thank you Dee74 and tomsteve.

You have both made some very valid points. I especially admire yours, Dee74 (no offence, tomsteve, your posts are also lovely ;-)).

I am happy that I am more of a problem to myself than alcohol is. My problem does not therefore lie in a bottle, any more than the solution to any of my problems does.

I therefore cannot blame my particular problem on alcohol. I blame it on me and a poor attitude to life. I was never physically addicted, I had just developed a very bad psychological dependency and habit of abuse as a way of escape.

I am therefore not fearful of the way my physical body might react to another drink. My physical body will be fine. It's my head I have to worry about.
Thanks for the kind words

I drank for underlying reasons, but that doesn't make me not an alcoholic, IMO.

Along with the things I was drinking over than drinking never fixed, I also, in time, became an alcoholic.

I don't think the lines between physical and mental alcoholism are clear cut at all.

I used to think my addiction was wholly mental too, but I look back now and I realise I was way more physically addicted than I wanted to admit, and the damage to my body more than I realised at the time.

In any case...the worry about 'taking a drink and being fine' is - it's not the last glass that's the problem - it's the first.

I think that's as true for those who consider they have a psychological or habitual addiction, as it is for those who are unambiguously physically dependent.

D
Old 05-07-2016, 07:29 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

The answer comes down to what kind of drinker you are –

Kara,
yes, i think that's true. but not necessarily about amounts or how long you've been in this pattern.
see, i'm the kind of drinker that cannot successfully consistently moderate, and since i know this, i personally don't care if the abstinence model is scientifically accurate . it's fini-accurate.

my experience, the kind of drinker i am, makes abstinence accurate for me.
Old 05-07-2016, 08:32 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

have you ever heard someone say something like, "I thought that once I got X, I would be happy, and then I got X, and I wasn't"?

That's because you never "get there."

So I don't believe that anyone will ever be "recovered" where everything will be fine. But that's okay, because that's how life works- life is a journey, and it is about the constant search for and pursuit of meaning.

I think the good news is that with time, effort, and patience, it should be vividly clear that the meaning you are pursuing will not include alcohol, so it should be easier and more fulfilling to pursue whatever it is that you decide to pursue, and you'll notice that the crushing weight of the alcohol burden is more like a piece of lint you can't get out of your pocket than a ball and chain keeping you anchored in place.
Old 05-08-2016, 12:25 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

There are no right or wrong answers, of course,
Amorality as a way out of problems ...