Notices

*Ring Ring* Sober Weekender May 6

Old 05-08-2016, 01:29 AM
  # 341 (permalink)  

Breaking news: Canal Trust bike found floating in the Canal!!

Morning all,

Great photo guys from around the world, thanks. BigS ye handsome devil ye!!

Started raining here at lunchtime yesterday and it is still raining. Heatwave my ass!!!

Try to catch up with chores today. Maybe get out for a drive. Feeling a bit achy and mweah.

B
Old 05-08-2016, 01:30 AM
  # 342 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

steel boxes are pretty dull Sao , ( maybe he was attracted to it birds of a feather and all that )
i guess he's not a fan of "tagging" looks a bit messy .

Time to get the vinyl wrap printed up . tiger stripes ? elongated dr who tardis ? garage door with a Ferrari inside ? Henri Rousseau picture ?*

coffee time . m

* if you use my idea you owe me squillions of quid .
Old 05-08-2016, 01:57 AM
  # 343 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Sounds like an inspirational idea Mecx - we do vinyl wraps at work so squillions on your way

Cyclists are a menace on the towpath

Never mind - breakfast, new sign over the "facilities"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20160508_095117.jpg (28.4 KB, 46 views)
Old 05-08-2016, 02:48 AM
  # 344 (permalink)  

Slightly soggy day here yesterday but still got a bit of fishing done with mr p.
Looks like more of the same today.
Emotions all over the place at the moment. .... note to self..... work harder at trying to live in the moment! X
Old 05-08-2016, 02:54 AM
  # 345 (permalink)  

Night. Good weekend. Tired now.

I'm going through a mental growth spurt at the moment. A door is opening in my mind and I'm passing through. Once something dawns on you, you can never really go back to ignorance.
A mental growth spurt.. Painful but all part of growing up.

Love to all
Xx
Old 05-08-2016, 03:06 AM
  # 346 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Sounds deep trees ,

I keep on with the sober routine wherever my mind wanders , life did make more sense sober, things people said in the past fell into place.

Bestwishes, m
Old 05-08-2016, 03:47 AM
  # 347 (permalink)  

Good morning! Juggling Mothers Day and a bit of work today. I'm going to assemble a hole puncher for the 1000 pepper plants we're planting tomorrow. It's pretty wet around here. No tractors in the fields for a while.
Old 05-08-2016, 04:03 AM
  # 348 (permalink)  

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!

Finally got a chance to read through the thread. WOW. So much going on - in all directions. Great photos, great inspiration and great fun. What a group of sober heads.
I assume that is BigS in his pics. Is he sporting a wesael (shaved head)? I've decided to call the shaved head look 'The Weasel' in honor of our captain. It's gonna catch on too. Don't be surprised if you hear it on tv in the future or AMZ. "Brad Pitt has gone to sporting a weasel lately."

In other news movie night here was pretty good. Started with 'Midnight Train To Lisbon' followed by 'The Physician' both very good movies I thought. It was followed by something I forget and fell asleep not far into...

Melina - DON'T FORGET TO REPORT YOUR PASSPORT MISSING! It is crucial if you think it's gone forever. And get the new one pronto in case something comes up and you "need" to travel.
Bodhi, I think it's time to bale...
Sounds like you are surviving wine country so far MM. My last trip to wine country was a couple cases. And the time before that I 'imported' 600 worth of canadian wine. I don't think there is room for wine in the trailer...

Sounds like quite a weekend so far out there...

I'm off to kostko today to get a big bag of potting soil. Twice as much for the same price as all others. Saves me 20 bucks, plus we are out of walnuts...

Remind me to tell you about the duck derby. Okay, I will.
Old 05-08-2016, 04:10 AM
  # 349 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

(((petals)))

Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers out there!!!
Old 05-08-2016, 04:36 AM
  # 350 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Checking in. Back from son's graduation festivities. It was a good time.

Question for this esteemed group:

Background-
Mrs. Nons' father is 77 years old. He has had a drinking problem for as long as anyone can remember. He drinks every evening 1-2 bottles of wine. It's reasonably contained these days. He waits until a respectable hour to drink and he doesn't get falling down drunk or belligerent. He just quietly gets a snoot full and then goes to bed. He drank more in the past and it cost him his marriage and his business fell apart, but these days he keeps it tame (at least, when we are around. Many of us know how to hide the worst of it when necessary. I know I did!)

The issue is that he has a great knowledge and love of wine and so does his daughter - my wife. Whenever they are together the evening revolves around wine. They spend 20-30 minutes selecting each bottle and talk about it while drinking it. Mrs. Nons' opinion is that he isn't so bad, he's old, and it doesn't seem to be causing any disruptions to his health or life, so why not let him enjoy his wine?

I am not sure it is wise to sweep his drinking under the rug like this. I've gone along with it for 25 years because for most of that time I was also drinking and it benefited me to do so. Then I felt like I didn't really want to be moralizing about someone else's drinking when it was so much less destructive (at the time) than mine.

It gives my AV plenty of gunpowder, too, when I see my wife aiding and abetting her father's drinking after I had been given an ultimatum about mine. It's just not fair!

I'm a big boy and can handle my AV these days, but it might be influencing my thinking as far as wanting to mention it to my wife.

What do you think? Should I mention any of my concerns to Mrs. Nons or just keep doing what I have been doing and going with the flow?
Old 05-08-2016, 04:46 AM
  # 351 (permalink)  

NONS
I think if you bring it up in a casual, philosophical, non-confrontational manner some pleasant Saturday morning it couldn't hurt.
Old 05-08-2016, 04:51 AM
  # 352 (permalink)  

The Great Duck Race

When I was looking for a house I came across this little town, quaint with a kind of Mayberry feel to it, 25 years ago. It must have been May because they were having their street fair. The BIG EVENT was the duck race or the "Duck Derby" as it is called today. It is a fundraiser event. You purchase a "duck" for $5. The day of the 'race' they construct a collection trap across the stream with a sort of cattle shoot looking thing that can also be likened to the tube the lottery balls shoot up into. Just enough room for the ducks to line up in single file. Then they take a truck load of ducks upstream almost a mile to the other park and dump them in the water. Then people follow the ducks downstream (mostly kids) or wait for them on one of the bridges down by the lower park - you can't really follow them all the way because the stream's route is isolated. Anyway, as the ducks approach the collection barrier the excitement grows. People begin to cheer the anonymous ducks as they approach the finish line. I guess it is similar to people cheering for marathon runners they don't have clue about, except that they made it to the finish line. Imagine around 750 numbered plastic yellow ducks, a giant flotilla, ambling their way down a rain swollen creek as the crowd of onlookers cheers them on their way.
The first 25 or so ducks are prize winners. $200 for first place down to 10 or something. Of course there are stragglers. And as the local volunteer fire department guys in hip boots collect the ducks and record the winners the crowd waits. As the ducks are scooped up and the stream is cleared there is the duck count - inventory the ducks. Okay, still 20 ducks missing so we wait. When all but a few ducks are accounted for the excitement again begins to build. The race isn't over until the last duck swims into the shoot. He is worth fifty bucks!

Then it's time to get another funnel cake...

The stream was raging yesterday, I thought for sure they would postpone it as in the past. This event has been going on every Mother's Day weekend Saturday longer than I have been around these parts. Yesterday's race must have been a quick one, but there were years when the stream was low and slow that the last duck crossed the finish line almost at dark. And the people waited.
How could you not want to live in this town?
Old 05-08-2016, 04:55 AM
  # 353 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Non ,
Whats the positive outcome you'd be looking for out of mentioning this ? Has he asked for help ? I find it hard enough to help those who ask for help and advise before i start helping those who don't .

You have a wife , a business , sobriety and 30 years of glorious sober living ahead of you ..

keep on living the dream

m
Old 05-08-2016, 04:58 AM
  # 354 (permalink)  

Morning all.
Old 05-08-2016, 05:06 AM
  # 355 (permalink)  

Non, I'm with mecanix on this one. My wife's father is in his late 70's, is starting to "lose" it mentally and has probably had a drink everyday for the last 50 years. God bless his wife for putting up with him, but I think it's best to let him live his life in peace.

Hope everyone has a great Sunday!
Old 05-08-2016, 05:14 AM
  # 356 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Hey Nons. Sure, talk about it. From a concerned POV, it could be welcome.
Old 05-08-2016, 05:21 AM
  # 357 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
It gives my AV plenty of gunpowder, too, when I see my wife aiding and abetting her father's drinking after I had been given an ultimatum about mine. It's just not fair!
I agree that it is hypocritical but don't let that start a fight that will not solve anything. I'm not saying don't bring it up if you do talk to her about his drinking, just don't let it anger you.
Old 05-08-2016, 05:33 AM
  # 358 (permalink)  

Morning all. Nons, I tend to agree with the vibe from Mecanix on this one. But I also understand it's probably hard to watch a slow-motion train wreck, especially when you feel you could stop it. Like LB said, casually dropping the subject over the funny papers and pancakes on a random Sunday is a good idea if you want to get the subject off your chest. Tough spot, especially since its family.

Brings to mind a question: you know how us alcoholics love our "drinking buddies". Do you think when we become sober, we are unconsciously hoping to convert our old friends and turn them into "sober buddies"? Befriending new, sober allies at AA meetings is great...but if I am being honest, I really wish some of my old buddies, my real best friends, would give up the bottle. I feel that no matter how much I converse or interact with my old friends, they are all still on the other side of the plexiglass. I am skating in the hockey rink and they are still in the bleachers yammering. I just want to grab them and say "get down here, it's awesome!" but it just doesn't work. I guess I can only lead by example. Maybe I answered my own question.....

Yeah that is me sporting "The Weasel"! Six years and counting shaving the dome, come and join us!
Old 05-08-2016, 05:38 AM
  # 359 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Nons if your father has been through all what you described - the marriage breakdown and loss of business and is still drinking at 77 then he probably isn't going to change. As Mecx says you have a lot note to live for hence your wifes ultimatum to you but not your FIL. I would definitely avoid being around those wine drinking evenings as much as possible without being rude
Old 05-08-2016, 05:43 AM
  # 360 (permalink)  

Great to see you out and about on the canal trails, SAO. I watched a documentary about the history of canals in the UK (it sounds boring but it was fascinating to me)! That was me who mentioned Barcelona, not surprised you agree it's a great spot.

I would go for a morning swim, but I don't want to interrupt the lone local fisherman outside