Notices

Venting helps, thanks for reading

Old 05-04-2016, 08:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Venting helps, thanks for reading

I never would of thought how engraved an alcohol problem could become, and I fear this is only the start. I have been a daily drinker (bottle of wine) for about 2 years now. And I have decided to cut down by taking breaks in between drinking.

The problem is when I take these breaks I tend to binge and drink as much as possible. Last Friday I polished off a bottle of wine late in the night, and then, of course I decided to go to the night club district In my city. Needless to say that morning I woke up with a very sore head and $500 less in my wallet. But I was satisfied, I settled my binge craving, because I drank everything.

Of course I tell myself “no more, that’s it!” Come 4 nights later I binge again. This time not a lot just 2 bottles of wine, and I was more than happy to start a 3rd but could not because I didn’t have access to it anymore.

Now some may say 1 bottle is not much at all, but over the next 10 years, that is a lot of drinking, lately 1 bottle is not doing it for me anymore, I have 2.

So on average i have 10 bottles a week, plus my weekly binge.

I live with two alcoholics, ( my parents) . We are good people, very functional, but we are an alcoholic family, my dad drinks 1 bottle a night and my mum drinks 2 nearly every night (and this is them finally controlling themselves)

So trying to stop is extremely difficult because I am constantly surrounded by alcohol and I know where to get it if I run short myself. Ironically, I drink less living with them because, they are my parents and I get my ass kicked even if I am 25, plus its embarrassing to drink a big amount In front of them. When I live by myself its horribly different story, I am like a kid in a toy store.

I do genuinely want to stop drinking, or at least be a normal drinker ( I know this is highly unlikely) but its these binge cravings that I find hard to shake, I start to become hypnotized thinking that I NEED alcohol, and I need to settle that craving.

I am mainly worried for my future, like what kind of dad will i be? I am 25 at the moment, and soon will be living by myself again once my circumstances let me. And I am also worry how will I cope with this when I am married, and have kids? And that’s another question, who wants to marry an alcoholic?! You cant really hide it, so you have to be honest.

My willpower is the problem here, I give in too easy, I always have a choice before I cross that line, but I always cross that line, I am lacking enthusiasm to not cross that line, the bottle is giving me a very sweet and delicious reward and the first thought is “ eh, why not”

I needed to vent a bit, thanks for reading everyone and I am open to your stories and advice. Thanks again
Old 05-04-2016, 09:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

You always have choice eh? Well, just choose to not drink.

Unfortunately I lost the power of choice. Willpower was no use. I was lucky at 22, almost dead, my parents took me in. I stopped drinking, they didn't, though they offered to if it would help. It wouldn't, it was my problem not theirs.

I never regained the power of choice, yet I haven't needed a drink in a very long time. But you see I had reached a point where I was willing to do anything to get away from the misery. What are you willing to do?
Old 05-04-2016, 09:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

My willpower wasn't much help cos a part of my will wanted to drink.

Acceptance worked much better - acceptance that I was an alcoholic, acceptance the problem will only get worse not better, and accepting that I could do all I wanted in life, and be all I wanted to be - or I could drink...but not both.

Posting here regularly could be a start madruski - why not post daily for a while?

D
Old 05-04-2016, 09:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Hi Madruski!

Willpower was not enough for me to quit drinking. I had to surrender and get the help of others. With the amount you are drinking, a medical detox is probably a good idea. Have you looked into local recovery resources, such as detox services or meetings?
Old 05-04-2016, 09:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
My willpower wasn't much help cos a part of my will wanted to drink.

D
Thats a very good statement, that is exactly what the feeling is, At times all I want to do is drink , because I have an alcohol problem. I want to drink again straight after my binge( but i don't)

The feeling of having a full box of beer (with a few beers hidden just i in case I run short) a good movie or music is amazing, that is my perfect Friday or Saturday. Who needs socializing when you have beer, right? - that is sad

1 bottle a night is my intake because that is where i force myself to stop, believe me, i can and want to go all night with many bottles, but i choose not too. And its this willpower that is becoming harder, Its becoming harder to stop at 1

So to look at a positive spin on things, I mentioned that i drank every night, now for the last month i have been able to take 3 to 4 nights break, I never could do this. So in a way I am slowly making progress In my journey. Now do not take this as a smoke screen that " i am doing good, so i can keep drinking" i am aware of my head space.

I have tried to go cold turkey many times, but it does not work at the moment, so for me this is some sort of progress.

its not cold turkey, but I just need some positive results.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

It is definitely progress but it's easy to find yourself standing still or even worse going backwards.

For me the only real progress started when I quit entirely.

I really encourage you to run a very strict, and safe yet speedy, timetable towards that goal MR

D