Notices

17 days sober - Remembering things I blacked out

Old 05-04-2016, 01:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

17 days sober - Remembering things I blacked out

The past few days, I am randomly starting to remember stupid/embarrassing things I did drunk. Things I didn't remember happening until now - and some of these things happened 2-3 years ago. Is this something that happens to other people? Like when you forgot things that happened the night before until someone reminds you, then it's vivid - this is happening to me without anyone reminding me of it. And even years after they happened.

Stupid little things too, like dropping an entire pizza on the floor and everyone laughing at me. Things I bet nobody else even remembers...but subsequently, things like this made a lot of people not like me. So, the embarrassment ensues of "oh, that must be why so and so doesn't invite me to their parties anymore". Or, sending sleezy messages to girls who were even engaged. Alcohol caused a lot of people to look at me as a goon for life.

Anyway, is this normal? I'm remembering things the past few days that I never thought twice about back when I was still drinking. It's really getting me down, even though it's all in the distant past. I know all I can do is move past it and change my life now, but man this is really flooding my thoughts right now and I can't even focus on my work anymore.

Side question: I've been working a lot lately, but it feels as if I get nothing done. Is that normal too? I always felt like I got so much writing done while drinking - I'm writing the same amount sober, but it feels like it's all in slow motion.

Thanks to those who have been sober a lot longer than me for your advice.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Why would you move this to a pop culture thread? Did my post really bother you that much moderator?

Yeah, you don't make me wanna go chug a bottle of booze right now at all.....peace out on this site.
Old 05-04-2016, 03:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It is normal to have issues concentrating when you are recently sober. Getting sober takes a lot of attention and energy and is distracting. That said, I had undiagnosed ADD. One of my reasons for drinking was that it helped me focus (to a point). Any chance you were self medicating to address attention/focus issues - and without the booze they are more apparent?
Old 05-04-2016, 04:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WalkingOnAir View Post
Why would you move this to a pop culture thread? Did my post really bother you that much moderator?

Yeah, you don't make me wanna go chug a bottle of booze right now at all.....peace out on this site.
The mods wouldn't move it here- at least not on purpose. Did you intend for your post to be on the Newcomers' subforum?
Old 05-04-2016, 05:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

No one moved it - you posted it where it was,Walking On Air.
I've moved it to Newcomers forum now

It's normal to get little fragments of memory back, or at least it was for me.

I think the best course is to get sober, stay that way, and put the embarrassing events behind you.

D
Old 05-04-2016, 05:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Re-Member

I know that I definitely have experienced that sensation of vague or semi-blacked out memories coming back to me in sobriety. As one person I've heard speak in recovery said, "If you've got one foot in the past and one in the future, you're probably urinating all over today." Be the best WalkingOnAir you can be today.

As for your side question, 17 days is wonderful but it's still very early in sobriety, especially compared to however long you drank. Give yourself some time to heal. You say the writing is still coming, accept it at whatever speed it does come to you.