Notices

I guess things aren't going so well

Old 05-03-2016, 06:59 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ileana View Post
If they don't have a BAC how can they charge you with a DUI? Isn't the charge instead refusal to submit to a BAC?
They got my bac by obtaining a court order to draw my blood. I complied with that court order. I must have refused prior to and they can charge with both here in CA.
Old 05-03-2016, 07:11 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

you have your sobriety but at what cost, you ask?

no cost. you didn't pay for it by dui and associated hardships. those are the cost of drinking.
sobriety is your asset, not a liability.

how to get your good life back?
in the long run, your chances of having a better life are better with sobriety.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:54 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

SA, I get that you are terrified and your anxiety is through the roof right now. It is normal and to be expected.
I got a DUI about 15 years ago I would say, I was the same way, I though MY LIFE WAS OVER. Man oh man, if only I had had a crystal ball and seen the destruction that continuing to drink caused me, the DUI and hassle of not having a license was nothing compared to what was to come. This is your first offence, it sounds like you have a clean record, are a good guy, are putting in the work to get to the meetings/classes/etc. This was a very, very stupid mistake on your part it sounds like and I imagine that the judge will see it that was and go easy on you. Only time will tell but I imagine you'll get a mix of heavy- fines, classes, a few weekends in jail and light- allowing you the occupational license.

You seriously are going to get past this. You will have plenty of time to move forward in your career. Plenty.

Let's talk about your sobriety and/or alcoholism. You have mention in this post and others that this is really unlike you, you would never do this, that you don't drink all the time, this was just one night of you going over the top due to a problem at work. But then you also go on to say that you accept you are an alcoholic.

Do you? Do you accept you are an alcoholic? Do you think you are an alcoholic? It is possible you are not and this really was a one off, horrible mistake. But you need to consider this. At the time I got my DUI I kept on drinking. I then tried a year or so of sobriety a while later as I really did think I had a problem. I later returned to drinking and what a mistake that was. My alcoholism just got worse and worse.
I know right now the work stuff and how the court date is going to pan out is your number one priority. But please take some time to seriously think about your relationship with alcohol.
Old 05-04-2016, 01:08 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

The worst already has happened in your mind- try not to get too worried until you see how it plays out. Be honest and contrite with the court. Show them that you understand the gravity of your errors and are trying hard to make amends. Odds are good that you can get some kind of permit for work. But worst case you wait. You will survive! As bad as it feels now you can get through this, soberaccountant.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:18 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
totfit

I know things may seem bleak for you, but from experience you are really not in nearly as bad a place as you could be. If you take this experience and remain sober from this point on, then the experience would be well worth it. Look on the year without a license as an "adventure". See how much you can accomplish without driving. Find alternatives, but more importantly, use this as a chance to slow down and look within.

There was a point in my life that I went without a license for longer than a year and rode a bicycle, bus, whatever I could find and not just "survived", but have some great memories from that period of my life. It gave me a chance to reassess things and find what is truly important in life. That period of time is still a huge part of who I am today. I would not change it.

I know the stress of not knowing your outcome at the moment is huge, but all we have is today. Time will take care of the issue you are currently facing. You will not fall so far behind your peers or better yet, just worry about your own journey and not comparisons. If you stay sober, you will with time and effort be able to surpass all your expectations.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:22 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by totfit View Post
I know things may seem bleak for you, but from experience you are really not in nearly as bad a place as you could be. If you take this experience and remain sober from this point on, then the experience would be well worth it. Look on the year without a license as an "adventure". See how much you can accomplish without driving. Find alternatives, but more importantly, use this as a chance to slow down and look within.

There was a point in my life that I went without a license for longer than a year and rode a bicycle, bus, whatever I could find and not just "survived", but have some great memories from that period of my life. It gave me a chance to reassess things and find what is truly important in life. That period of time is still a huge part of who I am today. I would not change it.

I know the stress of not knowing your outcome at the moment is huge, but all we have is today. Time will take care of the issue you are currently facing. You will not fall so far behind your peers or better yet, just worry about your own journey and not comparisons. If you stay sober, you will with time and effort be able to surpass all your expectations.
Amen, totfit. That is exactly how I feel about my 14 months with no license. I realized that's how I felt about it when I heard my self say aloud to people on a couple occasions "That's how I found out who I am."

I'm not a religious guy but I've always felt I was "reborn" during that time.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:23 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I'm sure you have heard it all, but life isn't that bad. You didn't kill anybody, didn't hurt anybody, and you aren't looking at too much hard time. Plus you are sober. I'm a CPA as well. I have known my fair share of alcohol and I definitely want to congratulate you. To be sober so long is a hell of an accomplishment. Well done. Look forward to a great life.