Notices

Day 1 feeling scared

Old 05-03-2016, 06:30 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by madgirl View Post
Hi JLC

We are the same age, and I too am in a marriage of the "drinking buddies" variety. I too felt it would be easier if husband would quit, and I used this to rationalize my drinking for a long time. Honestly it got to where I felt like that's all we really have in common anymore - drinking - which is a scary thing to feel.

Anyway, I decided to embrace sobriety for ME, and realized that I am the only person responsible for what goes into my body. You can do this, too.

When you feel better, check out that "sticky" in this forum for newcomers called "Looking for things to do?" It offers some concrete ideas for things to do in the evening to get through the witching hour.

I am on day 46 so I am still very new to this too, but already I can tell you that when you absolutely make up your mind to stay sober for the day, your brain will naturally look for something else to think about. As drinkers we just default to drinking when we have down time, but there is SO MUCH ELSE to do with your time! It's amazing actually.

Get through this day, go home and commit to getting into bed and resting, and look forward to better times spent doing things which are so much more fun and rewarding.
Thank you so much! And congratulations on your 46 days! I think the scariest part for me is thinking about performing sober. I play music and sing and always have at least 2 drinks before I go on stage - which is usually at a bar. I might have to quit my band. I can play music just fine sober but it's the performing and the setting that I'm not ready for yet. I will check out that sticky.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:40 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Medication

Originally Posted by JLC120 View Post
I have fears of medication. I'm kind of nutso I guess. I wish I had more fears of alcohol though, maybe I will now. It's ******* poison after all.
I have tolerated anabuse with no problems. The only effect it has is to make you violently ill if you ingest alcohol. Just knowing that curbs the cravings. I see it as taking the will I have at 8 am when I wake up and transferring it to 5 pm when I want to drink.
Old 05-03-2016, 07:19 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

i feel the same way

I'm hungover and shaking as well. I hate myself a little more each day. drinking has shredded my life. I hope you can quit and then share how, cause I'm desperate for some advice and a little push to get into some form of action.
Old 05-03-2016, 07:29 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi, JLC. I'm sorry you're in the throes of alcohol-induced fear and panic. It's the worst feeling. I call it the Dreaded Willies. Maybe you could make one baby step and not drink today. If you do that the Willies will be much smaller tomorrow morning.
Old 05-03-2016, 07:33 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by frankster View Post
I'm hungover and shaking as well. I hate myself a little more each day. drinking has shredded my life. I hope you can quit and then share how, cause I'm desperate for some advice and a little push to get into some form of action.
Hi frankster. It's so hard. Drinking is the worst kind of way to tell yourself I hate you. Drinking is falsest promise of happiness because it leaves you so much worse off. I hope you and I can quit! Today no alcohol. Then try again tomorrow?
Old 05-03-2016, 07:34 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LostManhattan View Post
Hi, JLC. I'm sorry you're in the throes of alcohol-induced fear and panic. It's the worst feeling. I call it the Dreaded Willies. Maybe you could make one baby step and not drink today. If you do that the Willies will be much smaller tomorrow morning.
Thank you! That is my plan! Eliminate the willies.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:48 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thankful

For being able to constantly check here and read other people's comments and experiences.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:03 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Ok maybe I could call today and see about getting an appointment. Thank you. I keep thinking I'm going to just collapse and die. So much to do today. Cursing myself and looking forward to a life without hangovers.
JLC120 - I've been in your position: Instead of saying "Maybe" just call and make an appointment. Right now, pick up the phone. It'll be a concrete step one in the direction of sobriety. You'll never have to get up again and feel terrible and shaky and panicky.
Your Dr. has heard it before and can help you.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:13 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Physically I'm feeling a little bit better. Is it really not possible to quit on my own without meds? I told my therapist today. I can call my dr too. What a mess.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:23 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

hang in there I quit march 30 and had terrible anxiety and depression for a few weeks, good diet, exercise help. The sleeping part sucks I used Tylenol pm and 1.5 melatonin . One slogan in AA I like is one day at a time, just get through the day as hard as it seems. good luck you have a community of support.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:39 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fred59 View Post
hang in there I quit march 30 and had terrible anxiety and depression for a few weeks, good diet, exercise help. The sleeping part sucks I used Tylenol pm and 1.5 melatonin . One slogan in AA I like is one day at a time, just get through the day as hard as it seems. good luck you have a community of support.
Congratulations on being a month sober! Yes I'm trying to just think about tonight for starters. How to say no to alcohol tonight.
Old 05-15-2016, 07:15 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I have been exercising(riding my bike) like crazy this last week because it helps relieve the anxiety and negative thinking. I also started going to AA which also is an amazing stress reliever. I've only been sober for 7 days but everyday I feel a little bit better.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:15 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Welcome,

That sounds like me. I also woke up frequently at 3 AM worried about my health and if I had gone too far "this time."

I was also the same. At 8 am I swore that I would not drink that night. And I believed myself. At 5 PM I'd pull into the liquor store.

By 5 pm I was a totally different person. I drank every night. Every day it was the same cycle. Hungover every day too.

I didn't know what to do with myself the first evening so I spent hours on here, reading and reading and reading many posts.

I truly believe these are the things that got me sober. I considered myself one of the people who would never get sober.

1. Talking to and relating to others who had been through exactly what I had been through.
2. Accepting that I would never be a moderate drinker.
3. Accepting that any fun and enjoyment from alcohol was in the past. Truly in the past. I hadn't "enjoyed" a drink in a few years. Not like a normal person would.
4. Taking it one day at a time.

I repeat, take it one day at a time. I quit in June and on my first day I was already worried about New Year's Eve. I wish that was a joke. I repeated over and over to myself that I would stay in today. One day at a time.

It took me a really long time to accept that I would never be a moderate drinker. Not even like....once a year. Nope. I used to find stories of people who went from heavy drinking to light drinking, like it just "happened." Nope. I was in denial that I was a heavy drinker rather than an alcoholic. I know heavy drinkers. They don't drink like I did. Not even close. My brother drinks heavily once or twice a year with "the boys." He hardly drinks at all the rest of the time.

Welcome. You'll find a lot of support here. Support from others in the same situation was the absolute most important thing for my sobriety.

When you're alone and not talking to others, it's easy to think you're not as bad everybody else or even worse than everybody else. You'll find a lot in common with the people here.