Notices

Frustrations with rehab

Old 05-04-2016, 05:17 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

totfit, couldn't agree more.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:39 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Good on you J for sticking with it for what you CAN achieve with the useful aspects of this place / these people. Sort of a rehab veteran, me (gnarled and grizzled n grumpy to boot), I could write a book

Agree with your impressions, mostly, particularly re the staff members who play the card 'your thinking's fried; I don't believe anything you say because you're all-addict; etc etc etc'. That kind of stuff constitutes breaches of professional ethics and appropriate practice which would never be allowed for long in any other field of medical OR psych treatment.

Plain speaking to a patient or client - especially when at their MOST damaged and vulnerable and downright sick - should, IMO, only be allowed if or when that person is flagrantly breaking rules / being verbally or physically threatening or abusive to others and those kinds of situations. They are the sole instances where some 'ticking off' by staff are appropriate, for the wellbeing of them in their workplace and of all the other patients.

Occasionally, very occasionally, I have indeed written a formal complaint to the Chief Exec or director of the rehab. Patients do have rights, after all: in every other hospital or clinic for all other illnesses. Addiction treatment is no exception, in my book.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:50 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

They introduced the book 'The Secret' at a rehab I was in, here in Australia. It was BS and had heard/read articles and reports that exposed the hocus pocus.

I went to the 'head' psychiatrist and complained citing the reports I had read. It was removed from the curriculum. I know what you mean.

I used the time to my own advantage and tried to ignore the rabble. My 28 days were good time out.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:47 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jseattle View Post

Yes the law of attraction movie. I found it really offensive, not to mention triggering to gambling addicts and people with manic personalities. The whole "waves in the universe" thing, the idea that you think about being rich and will become rich (with multiple flashes of lottery signs), plus the idea that people who have bad things happen brought it on themselves (including cancer!).

This is a medical establishment. I was appalled.
Showing that film in a alcohol rehab facility is completely unacceptable. Please report this facility to the agency or agencies that oversees these types of rehabs.

Personally, I would have immediately left and demanded a complete refund.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:05 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Oh and good for you J for recognising you needed to address your drinking issues.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:55 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thanks all for your support. I went to the director and requested a new primary therapist and got someone who is amazing. It was embarrassing to then see the guy I had but he was an idiot and I couldn't take it. The director was great and I am going to talk to her about the movie as well. I really appreciate everyone's input.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:13 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thanks all for your support. I went to the director and requested a new primary therapist and got someone who is amazing. It was embarrassing to then see the guy I had but he was an idiot and I couldn't take it. The director was great and I am going to talk to her about the movie as well. I really appreciate everyone's input.
I'm happy things worked out for you J.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:20 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

For the first month at least (of 3 months) in my IOP I felt much the same way. Eventually I realized that for me it was my rebellious little kid taking over. What addiction counsellors have learned is that addicts lie. I thought "but I don't lie - I'm totally honest". Eventually I came to see that I still had much to learn and wasn't as rigorously honest as I had thought.

We also were required to go to AA and I wasn't happy about that either, but I went.

After 3 months of the program I was sober and still am. I still can't say for sure that they were right about everything but once I quit fighting it and decided to do what was mentioned above (take what we want and leave the rest), I started making much more progress. Today I'm grateful I stuck it out.

PS happy to see you have a therapist you like better!
Old 05-05-2016, 02:25 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
under new management

You are doing great, jseattle!

It takes courage to stand up for yourself like this, bravo