Notices

Social Anxiety and Alcoholism

Old 05-02-2016, 07:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Social Anxiety and Alcoholism

So I'm 37 and have been an alcoholic for a long time, possibly related to my shyness, being an introvert, or depression. I grew out the social akwardness a bit somewhat between the ages of 16-26 and then maintained a self-employed job. Now I am trying to move my way up in the corporate world and it is near impossible with my inability to have conversations with any superiors or people I feel intimidated by.

So I finally got to a doctor today and to my surprise he quickly prescribed me with xanax to use 1-2 times a week as well as an anti-depressant that will take 2-3 weeks to see much affect. I'm hoping the medication can take the place of the booze but I don't have a really good plan. I didn't take the xanax tonight and know that I can't mix that with alcohol, but did take the Lexapro.

I guess I'm just seeing if anyone has had experience with social anxiety and alcoholism. I have gone back to drinking heavy every night since trying to drink a couple times a week and that hasn't worked.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You're in the newcomers to recovery section. Are you planning to stop drinking? Everything you mentioned is a bad cocktail.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It's a very common occurrence for those with anxiety of all kinds to try ans self medicate with alcohol. Unfortunately, the drinking eventually makes red anxiety even worse.

I'm mins of surprised he gave you benzos too, were you forthright about your drinking history? Have you ever considered therapy? Most meds work a lot better in combination with therapy.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
It's a very common occurrence for those with anxiety of all kinds to try ans self medicate with alcohol. Unfortunately, the drinking eventually makes red anxiety even worse.

I'm mins of surprised he gave you benzos too, were you forthright about your drinking history? Have you ever considered therapy? Most meds work a lot better in combination with therapy.
No i was not forthright about the drinking. I haven't been to a doctor since I was required to in the military when I was in my early twenties. I can't blame it on him since he gave me exactly what I wanted. He didn't give me an extreme dose or anything either.

As much of a drinker I am, I am very conscious about hitting rock bottom which I haven't and maybe in the long run that is a bad thing.

I will try therapy as well, just seeing if anyone had a similar experience that could give me some insight.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was on Klonopin for 2 1/2 years and it helped me stay away from booze for about two weeks but I eventually fell back into it. And was drinking on top of the benzos which led to scary blackouts where I did insane **** I don't remember.

Remember, benzos affect the same receptors in the brain that alcohol does, GABA. So maybe it'll help you stop drinking but benzos can be just as addictive and habit-forming. You might just end up trading one addiction for the other.

Everybody's different though. I would just say tread lightly and don't fool yourself into staying sick.

Maybe some of your anxiety is coming from the alcoholism itself?

Either way, hope it works out for you.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have dealt with s.anxiety on and off throughout my life. My current strategy is to be as much "myself" as possible and be as honest as possible.-you know, genuine. I find that fighting it just makes it (the anxiety)worse. Regular exercuse seems to have a positive effect...In times of trouble, I Remind myself that most folks aren't even that good on picking up on anxiety anyway. -too wrapped up in their own heads.

One thing I know for sure, alcohol was ABSOLUTELY DISASTER in what it did to my anxiety. Like gas on a fire.

My new found confidence in its absence is THE main reason I don't return. I just can't live in fear like I was anymore.

You'll find a way. Keep researching.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joshywaa718 View Post
I was on Klonopin for 2 1/2 years and it helped me stay away from booze for about two weeks but I eventually fell back into it. And was drinking on top of the benzos which led to scary blackouts where I did insane **** I don't remember.

Remember, benzos affect the same receptors in the brain that alcohol does, GABA. So maybe it'll help you stop drinking but benzos can be just as addictive and habit-forming. You might just end up trading one addiction for the other.

Everybody's different though. I would just say tread lightly and don't fool yourself into staying sick.

Maybe some of your anxiety is coming from the alcoholism itself?

Either way, hope it works out for you.
I will tread lightly, and i agree that the alcohol raises the anxiety. I notice that I usually go from a 9 of 10 to a 7 - 8 of 10 when not drinking (in relation to work days, not actually while inebriated).
Old 05-02-2016, 11:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Social anxiety was the main driving force for my drinking. the booze was a magical potion for me. I could talk to anybody and be charming and engaging. However, eventually I started drinking way too much in social situations and there is nothing charming about slurring your words and being obnoxious. the
Old 05-02-2016, 11:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

I have social anxiety sometimes I'm currently going through a good phase and building on it little by little

Have you got a plan
Old 05-03-2016, 04:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

For most of my life I thought I was extroverted. I was apparently social and a leader and outgoing and confident.

It turns out, I actually have a lot of social anxiety and self doubt and fear and uncertainty. I didn't realize it until I stopped drinking and drugging and got clear in the head and with my emotions.

It actually got worse..... sweating and trembling at times in social situations... needing to calm myself.... worrying about what to wear as I will sweat through my shirts....

Everyone still says how outgoing and social and confident and what a leader I am. Yet on some level I still don't believe it. Still feel a fraud.

I'm working at it. It isn't easy and it's frustrating and often my solution is just to avoid people or uncomfortable social situuations. I'm growing and getting there.... but it is slow going at times.

I'm glad to be doing it all in sobriety. I've avoided meds so far, though I consider it frequently.... maybe a period of well tendedone medication would give me the space to rewire my mind-body circuitry. But for now it isn't so terrible that I'm ready to introduce meds. My history with drugs and alcohol leaves me with concern about how meds may influence me.... what they may do to erode my sobriety..... and also I want to do all I can to address my issues with clarity and my whole focus. That's said, I am prepared to try medication if things get too challenging or if life just isn't manageable. So far, it's never got to that point.

Anyway.... I wish you well, I understend, you're not alone. Stay sober and keep working on YOU.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My story is all about social anxiety and alcoholism/addiction. Its not easy but the best improvement in it I've had in my life is when I've had a period of sober time where I was regularly challenging myself (to a healthy degree, not overboard) by being in various social situations. Practice can help a lot. Not having the brain constantly crosswired with booze/drugs can really help with the small talk too.

Xanax is similar to alcohol in what it does and its addiction potential. In my own experience trying to switch drugs to help limit things never worked for me and sometimes made things worse.

I took prozac for awhile too and did find that it helped a bit with social anxiety for me. I think some people have better and worse luck with using anti-depressants to help with it, but I hope it works for you if you decide to keep taking it!
Old 05-03-2016, 03:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Please don't drink on the meds sick. Apart from possibly being dangerous the meds aren't likely to work.

I've been anxious my whole life - it's one of the reasons I started drinking.

I never went for meds.

Like others have said, exercise helps, breathing exercise helps and time itelf helps.

I'm at the age now where I don't have to do many things I don't want to do - so I don't

D
Old 05-03-2016, 03:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Adventurer

I might go back to the Dr and be honest about your drinking, he or she might not have prescribed Xanax if they knew your history. I know it's a bad combination because I had a Dr prescribe it for me and of course I never told them I was an alcoholic. I abused both and eventually I wound up in a hospital after my wife took me to the ER.

Be careful and honest.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:04 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree with everything Dee said.

I have had anxiety since my teen years and depression as well. It wasn't until my mid-forties that I turned to alcohol in desperation. And, of course, that led to 3 years of spiralling out of control. Alcohol doesn't help anxiety. Like Dee, I have chosen to not ask the dr for medication. I've been close, but I know it would be the wrong thing for me. If it was a temporary situation, maybe, but ongoing is another situation.

You might check out a couple of great books which offer lots of help with anxiety without medication:

When Panic Attacks by David Burns, MD
From Panic to Power by Lucinda Bassett

I get a lot of outdoor exercise, keep my life as stress free as possible, and most importantly, I have learned to say 'No' and not feel bad about it.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey there,
I have had social anxiety my whole life and drinking because of it...along with being a introvert...

This book I read which I LOVED "Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking" - Susan Cain.
The strengths of introverts... people that work corporate jobs that thrive being introverts in a world where extroverts are the "ideal".. people through history that are well known and successful that are introverts etc.

Changed my life in some ways and oddly helped with my social anxiety and panic attacks which kinda stemmed from being shy and a introvert. It gave me some confidence and taught me to look at myself in a much less negative way for being how I am ( introverted, Shy,Social Anxiety) ..

Best of luck!
Old 05-03-2016, 05:19 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Wow FreeOwl, you hit the nail on the head for me. I thought I was an extrovert also while drinking, but I have since learned in sobriety that I am actually an introvert and I too am experiencing social anxiery. I must admit, it was a relief to see someone else post such a similar situation. However, I'll still take sobriety as an introvert over being an extroverted alcoholic any day of the week!
Old 05-03-2016, 05:35 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
Social anxiety was the main driving force for my drinking. the booze was a magical potion for me. I could talk to anybody and be charming and engaging. However, eventually I started drinking way too much in social situations and there is nothing charming about slurring your words and being obnoxious. the
Social anxiety is the main driving force for my drinking too.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:06 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by formerwinegirl View Post
however, i'll still take sobriety as an introvert over being an extroverted alcoholic any day of the week!
for sure!!

Old 05-03-2016, 06:07 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Be careful with the Xanax. Mixing it with alcohol is dangerous.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:07 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm in the same boat as well with fighting a never ending battle with horrible social anxiety, depression, and panic issues. I have been on anti-depressants for years and while they help some, are not a cure all. I've never been on xanax, but I am on clonazapam which is similar, and this does work very well.