Notices

Rough day but stayed sober

Old 05-01-2016, 06:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rough day but stayed sober

It was gloomy outside, I've been tired, lonely and bored today. Even sitting in church with it full, I felt lonely.

I was so tempted to drink. Like almost went and bought some tempted. I told myself after dinner I could. Then after dinner I told myself it was pointless this late.

So now I'm laying in bed feeling depressed, but sober. Today wraps up 2 weeks sober. Tomorrow will be easier. Fingers crossed.
Old 05-01-2016, 06:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Two weeks sober is terrific and you should be proud of yourself.

I hope tomorrow will be easier too.
Old 05-01-2016, 06:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great job not giving into temptation. The more times you refuse to give in, the more natural it will become not to give in. The longer you go without drinking the less and less it will be part of your routine and that will also make it easier. In my experience, just breaking the cycle of constant using, sick, using, sick made a world of difference.

Keep sticking it out, 2 weeks is a great start! Do you go to meetings, counseling, or have a sober support system?
Old 05-01-2016, 06:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good for you for getting through. I am almost at 2 weeks as well and today was one of the hardest since I quit. My counsellor says that once you make the physical move to get alcohol you have relapsed. It is helpful to notice the earlier stages of relapse so you can avoid the white knuckle part. That said, tonight sucked and if I wasn't getting a pee test tomorrow it would have been even worse.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats on staying sober! Just remember the longer you stay sober the easier it gets.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Just remember rough days are part of the process and not to get discouraged. Your body and mind are starting to heal. Good job on 2 weeks!
Old 05-01-2016, 09:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hang in there, Sinderos. Things will get better and you'll be glad you didn't cave.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

congratulations Sinderos x
Old 05-01-2016, 09:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm glad you got through the tough day, good job. I hope tomorrow is much better too
Old 05-02-2016, 12:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congratulations, Sinderose! Waking up after not drinking is going to feel so much better than if you'd given in to temptation last night. Keep going!
Old 05-02-2016, 12:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on two weeks sober! I've never woken up sober wishing I had drank the night before. And nothing beats waking up feeling good.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Very happy you were able to hang in there, the first month and sometimes longer are going to be full of high's and lows, as long as we are mindful our body is adjusting, and sometimes that adjustment requires medical assistance, it can be a struggle to not drink but a battle we can win and it is so worth it.

Have a great day
Andrew
Old 05-02-2016, 01:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Well done sinderos
Old 05-02-2016, 11:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
NA Member - Atheist

Congrats. You feel perfectly normal for two weeks.

It gets better over time. How much time? Longer than you want, but it gets easier. Not every day is a picnic, and at some point it hits you that "normal" people have bad days and mood swings and feel a little down sometimes too. They just don't self destruct when that happens. We learn that all feelings pass, and we start to get some perspective.

What are you doing for a recovery plan? NA worked for me. In my experience, some kind of face to face contact with other people in recovery (especially those who have been in recovery a lot longer than me) has been vital from day #1. I couldn't tell you the number of times I have had "one of those days" and talked to someone in recovery who "talked me off the ledge" and got me feeling OK again. At least like I wasn't crazy and that I could make it.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sinderos View Post
It was gloomy outside, I've been tired, lonely and bored today. Even sitting in church with it full, I felt lonely.

I was so tempted to drink. Like almost went and bought some tempted. I told myself after dinner I could. Then after dinner I told myself it was pointless this late.

So now I'm laying in bed feeling depressed, but sober. Today wraps up 2 weeks sober. Tomorrow will be easier. Fingers crossed.
well done!!

I'm really glad you stayed sober, I'm really glad you've got 2 weeks under your belt.

I hope tomorrow you'll find a bright new day and some new ACTIONS to support your continued sobriety.

It gets better and better and better and better.....

Keep going.
Old 05-02-2016, 03:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good stuff Sinderos

It might be an idea to think about strategies for when you're next tired lonely and bored tho? Forewarned is forearmed as they say

D