Notices

The Story of Sam

Old 05-01-2016, 02:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Story of Sam

Hi everyone,

**Just a warning that this post may contain triggers for some people**

My name is Sam and this is my third (and hopefully last) attempt to get sober. I have been on this site since March but I have known that alcohol is a problem for me since around January of 2013. I do not go to AA (I have tried it and may try again) but I do see a psychologist, an addictions counselor and today I added in church as a part of my recovery plan. My most recent relapse was two weeks and three days ago - it lasted exactly two weeks, which brings me to today and three days sober. I have spent a lot of these last few days trying to figure out where I faltered and what I need to do differently this time around in order to be successful, and one of the things that I keep coming back to is something that both of my therapists have told me would be helpful and have expressed a desire for me to do but that I have yet had the confidence or strength to carry out....and that is to write down what it is that I feel has brought me here....I guess in essence to tell my story. I don't know if this is appropriate to post here but my thinking is that I am telling this story to real people without having to look anyone in the eye just yet....maybe a first step....so here goes...

I grew up with my dad (my parents divorced when I was 2) and when I was 12 he died suddenly and tragically. He was an amazing man and we were very close. I was forced to move to another province to live with my mother, who very obviously suffered from a serious and untreated mental illness in which she believed that a "God" told her what we were allowed and not allowed to do. I remember the day of my dads funeral and my little brother and I having to sneak out of a basement window to go because "God" said we were not allowed to attend the service....I also remember another time when we had no electricity or running water for six months because again she was told that these were unneeded extravagances. I finally left home when I was 15 and moved in with my older step sister and her boyfriend. Things quickly turned from bad to worse and without going into too many details this boyfriend began sexually abusing, lasting a little over a year. My sister went on to marry this man even though I had told very early on what was happening. My family would go back and forth from believing me to not believing me based on whether their relationship was on or off at the time. When I had a baby girl at the age of 17 (not related to the abuse) I knew I had to cut off all ties with my family and I did. At this point I buried myself in parenting three small children, going to university and working full-time - I recognize that even then there were times when I used alcohol as a "quick fix" but nothing lasting or damaging. It wasn't until years later that I really started to come undone.....life started to slow down and there was time to think. It started with nightmares, which led to insomnia, which led to panic attacks, which led to re-living that period of my life.....and for all of these things...for a while at least...alcohol fixed it...it fixed me. But it didn't take long for things to spiral out of control.

Today, like I mentioned, I am seeing some professionals...I am trying to take my life back...trying to take my power back. For a while I blamed all of the above circumstances for why I drank, and granted it didn't help the situation. But my drinking is primarily about hurting myself, not helping....it is about creating chaos, not controlling it....it is about keeping those memories, not forgetting. Something has to give...it has to change....and I know now and today that thing is drinking. I am not going to be defined by my past and I am not going to be controlled by alcohol.

Thanks for listening.
Old 05-01-2016, 02:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope this attempt at sobriety is successful. It will be, if you want to be sober more than you want to drink.
Old 05-01-2016, 02:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Sam, I'm sorry for all the pain you've had in your life. I'm glad you wanted to tell your story - I hope it helps relieve some of the anxiety.

There's no doubt you can reclaim your life. It sounds like you realize drinking is doing nothing to help you cope. We know you can do this.
Old 05-01-2016, 03:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing your story Sam...very brave to have done so and I hope it helps you in your journey of healing and sobriety x
Old 05-01-2016, 03:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

But my drinking is primarily about hurting myself, not helping....it is about creating chaos, not controlling it....it is about keeping those memories, not forgetting. Something has to give...it has to change....and I know now and today that thing is drinking. I am not going to be defined by my past and I am not going to be controlled by alcohol.

Wow - I could have written this word for word. We need to somehow learn to like and then love ourselves, we have to believe we are as valuable as everyone else in this world and grow our self respect. It's something that after 46 years I still struggle with but remaining sober helps me become stronger.
Old 05-01-2016, 03:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Hi Sam
Old 05-01-2016, 03:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing your story Sam. Sounds like you've been through a lot but are moving in a positive direction.
Old 05-01-2016, 03:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Hugs to you Sam. Welcome.
Old 05-01-2016, 03:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for sharing your story Sam - I'm sorry to read of all you've been through, but I'm glad you've found us and are working on recovery.

I hope your appointment goes well

D
Old 05-01-2016, 03:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Sam,

I'm sorry for your struggles and really glad you are back and working on your recovery again. Keep reading and posting and know that we are here for you.
Old 05-01-2016, 04:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sam, thank you for your story...I hope that sharing with us helps in some small way. You have been through a lot and talking and sharing really does help.

Congratulations on your sobriety.
I found that being unintoxicated over time was a natural healer in itself, coupling that with professional support is a great start to recovery.
Old 05-01-2016, 05:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome Sam, thank you for sharing your story.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I can so relate to the part about hurting yourself.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for the share, Sam! Big hugs.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:04 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Sam. I am glad you are here with us.

I hope you will post often and let us know how you are doing.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:20 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Originally Posted by samantha14 View Post
I am not going to be defined by my past and I am not going to be controlled by alcohol.
Powerful stuff here. Thank you so much for sharing your story with us, samantha14. I'm blessed to be walking this road of recovery with you and look forward to continuing to see you progress on a daily basis. You're doing great, and this is a big step forward right here in this thread. Keep on keeping on!
Old 05-02-2016, 11:10 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Wow - thank you for the overwhelmingly positive comments Feeling vulnerable and putting this out there was not easy, nor was I 100% convinced it was the right thing.....imagine when I have to tell my therapist he was correct all along

This exercise in transparency and truthfulness has not only made my resolve to help myself and stay sober even stronger but it has made the heavy load that I have been carrying amazingly lighter....
Old 05-02-2016, 11:43 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
under new management

Old 05-02-2016, 11:43 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thank you Sam