Notices

My sponsor started drinking

Old 04-30-2016, 09:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My sponsor started drinking

I'm almost two years sober and found out my previous sponsor started drinking and it's really bothering me! I learned so much from her and I'm in shock. She had 6 years sober. In ways it's strengthened my sobriety. I really didn't see it coming and hope she will be ok. Does anyone go back to drinking and control it. She says that she is fine having one or two drinks and only does this rarely. Maybe she's beat it???
Old 04-30-2016, 09:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I doubt it.

I've seen many people go back to drinking again, and although things will sometimes go ok for a while, they always end up back at the same old dark desperate place.

I'm sorry for your sponsor but this alcoholism thing is relentless. I'm wishing her the best for a quick return to recovery.

It's a testament to you that your resolve is strengthened by this hereandnow

D
Old 04-30-2016, 09:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hereandnow2 I'm glad to hear your staying strong against and sober! I've never had a sponsor but a kid I helped quit drinking relapsed after almost a year sober. I was pretty bummed about it for awhile. As far as beating this alcohol addiction I have, I know the answer is no and it will always be a monster waiting to come out after the first sip. I relapsed enough times to know after the first drink it's downhill for me. I really don't think any amount of time is gonna be safe and honestly I never want to roll the dice to find that out. Like I said though I give you massive props for not letting your old sponsors choice to go back to bottle effect your sobriety!! Good job!
Old 04-30-2016, 09:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

I'm sorry about your sponsor but like D just said it's testament to your resolve - Awesome advice imo
Old 04-30-2016, 10:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It just shows that all any of us really have is today.
You sponsor is likely repeating the lie that their addiction is telling them,
I too, many times, wanted to believe that i could have a few and I was fine. I just couldn't imagine a completely sober life.
But time and time again I ended up right at a worse and worse point. Each time it seemed to happen faster and get worse.
Something was missing from their program to go back out at six years. You can learn from this.
Pray for them and be there when they are ready to get back to sobriety.
Old 05-01-2016, 12:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

There but for the grace of God...It's extremely unlikely that your sponsor has "beaten it" to the point where an occasional drink is possible. More likely it will turn into two or three, then five or ten.

Just don't let it fool you!
Old 05-01-2016, 12:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear that, it's hard when people we care about relapse. As for beating it, does anyone really? I've never seen that end well.
Old 05-01-2016, 02:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am so sorry to hear this. I bet that brings up all kinds of mixed emotions of you. I am glad to hear that it is bringing you resolve to stay strong on your sobriety.
Old 05-01-2016, 03:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have had this happen twice over the years, both times I relapsed as well. I haven't met anyone in my journey that was able to go back, we generally pick up where we left off no matter how long we were sober.

Andrew
Old 05-01-2016, 03:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

No Human Power can relieve our alcoholism , a sponsor cannot get anybody sober , do not put anyone on a pedestal , all humans have clay feet . Lean on the program not the sponsor , I know this has upset you but fact is no matter how long anyone is off alcohol the fact is, if they do not ''change their entire outlook '' there is a ''time bomb '' inside all alcoholics that can go off at any given moment . Personally mine went of after two years got back and never changed in any way then it exploded 20 years later , still had not changed , drank in secret for 12 years . Got back changed my outlook got honest , worked the steps and had a spiritual awakening as the results that was in 2006 .

No human power . God could and would may you find him now ( my God is purely spiritual ) take care .

Regards Stevie recovered 12 03 2006
Old 05-01-2016, 03:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've wondered About this myself. I have a friend who went through AA years ago. Now she does enjoy a drink or two from time to time. She and I chatted a bit about it - she's one of the few people I've confided in about this journey. She said she knows that if she has more than one or two then all bets are off so she doesn't go there. I'm not sure how long this has been the case but I think several years.
Old 05-01-2016, 04:40 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Every time I hear a story of relapse like this, it scares the crap out of me. It also strengthens my resolve because I cannot imagine living the way I was a year and a half ago. I'm sorry for your friend, and truly hope she gets back into recovery soon. And I wish you well on your journey, too.
Old 05-01-2016, 04:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I had to learn not to put anyone up
on a pedestal because no one is
perfect. All I can do is take care
of me and incorporate a program
of recovery taught to me 25 yrs ago
and continue each day applying
all that was taught to me, learned,
absorbed and apply in all areas of
my life to insure a healthy, happy,
honest life to live each day I remain
sober.

Remaining teachable helps me to
achieve and enjoy the Promises as
stated in the Big Book of AA.

Passing on that knowledge and my
ESH - experiences, strengths and hopes
of what my life was and is like to those
still suffering with addiction has also
kept me grounded, humble, grateful
to be sober one more day.
Old 05-01-2016, 05:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hereandnow2 View Post

Does anyone go back to drinking and control it.
Never seen one if alcoholic.
Including myself I have seen many, many return to the drink.
Most in very short time -- within months are torn back up.
And few will make it a year before realizing --I'm shot out again.

Mountainmanbob
Old 05-01-2016, 05:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

as with sharon, i learned putting people on a pedastal will only hurt me- not necessarily if they drink, but when i see they are imperfect humans just like me.

can people "beat it?"
welp, imo, if a person is an alcoholic as described in the bb, nope.

one line from the bb comes to mind:
In some instances there has been brief recovery, followed always by a still worse relapse.

i still remember quite a few years ago hearing a man with 20+ years sober who went back out say," i didnt pick up where i left off. it was as if i never stopped."
Old 05-01-2016, 05:37 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I have seen many return to drinking but I never seen any return to normal drinking. Once the alcoholic switch has been flipped 1 or 2 drinks is the fantasy of every alcoholic
Old 05-01-2016, 07:50 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You guys are so awesome! Thank you for the support. It means so much to me. You all really hit it when talking about the pedestal. I really did do that with her in ways. I went to a awesome Aa women's luncheon today that felt so great. I wouldn't miss that for a drink, sorry she did!
Old 05-01-2016, 08:50 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I think it's an excellent lesson about just how dangerous and "patient" the addiction is - alcoholism will wait for you a long time. Gotta stay vigilant. I got sober for a while in 2006. Then went back to "one or two," and failed at that for almost 10 years. I wish the first time I hadn't kept it at 1-2 and didn't stay within the limits, I would have shut it down. I've had enough chances to get moderation right - I can't, so I don't get to try anymore