Notices

Alcohol and Antidepressants Connection

Old 04-29-2016, 09:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol and Antidepressants Connection

Alcohol Cravings Induced via Increased Serotonin | INTERNATIONAL COALITION FOR DRUG AWARENESS

Alcohol Cravings Induced via Increased Serotonin
by Ann Blake Tracy, Director, ICFDA

Posted on July 29, 2009 by Ann Blake-Tracy

There is an alarming connection between alcoholism and the various prescription drugs that increase serotonin. The most popular of those drugs are: PROZAC, ZOLOFT, PAXIL, LUVOX, CELEXA, LEXAPRO, EFFEXOR, CYMBALTA, REMERON, PRISTIQ, TRAZADONE, TRAMADOL, ANAFRANIL, BRISDELLE, ETC. For many years numerous reports have been made by reformed alcoholics (some for 15 years and longer) who are being “driven” to alcohol again after being prescribed one of these drugs. And many other patients who had no previous history of alcoholism have continued to report an “overwhelming compulsion” to drink while using these drugs. This was the first antidepressant reaction I noticed with the first SSRI antidepressant Prozac because it stood out like a sore thumb in the area in which I lived, Salt Lake City, Utah, headquarters for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints also called Mormons. Mormons do not drink alcohol, but when so many began doing so after starting on one of these drugs it became very obvious that there was a connection. Many stated they had no idea how they knew alcohol was what they were craving since they had never in their life even tasted alcohol before.

Of course the first group I contacted mistakenly thinking there would be grave concern on their part was Alcoholics Anonymous. Much to my surprise they had no interest whatsoever. So I worked to get the warning straight to the patients themselves.

For some time we did not have specific medical documentation to help us understand why this was happening. Could it be that Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil, etc., being mood altering substances, were removing the inhibitions that individuals had placed upon themselves to stop their additions?

But beyond this mood altering effect of Prozac, etc., there seemed to be a physiological cause for this alcoholic obsession as well. There were reports of people who rarely drank before Prozac, etc., consuming excessive amounts of alcohol after starting usage of these various drugs. For example we have the case of a young newly wed in Southern Utah who was given Prozac for a hormonal imbalance. Before that time she would have two or three social drinks a year, yet soon after being prescribed Prozac she began bringing alcohol home by the case. Many similar reports followed.

A few patient reports:

#1 A young woman, a recovering alcoholic, reported that during the eight month period she had been using Prozac she found it necessary to attend AA meetings every day in order to fight off the strong compulsions to begin drinking again.

#2 In the Southeastern United States a middle aged psychologist, also a recovering alcoholic, after being prescribed Prozac, found herself needing to attend AA meetings morning, noon, and night to keep from destroying the sobriety she had achieved.

#3 A young father, who was Mormon and had never before in his life used alcohol, found himself drinking Ever Clear and exhibiting bizarre as well as violent behavior, after being prescribed Prozac and Ritalin.

#4 A young mother who had never used alcohol before began drinking large amounts within weeks of being prescribed Prozac and quickly found herself committed to a mental institution due to the psychotic behavior that resulted. Added to her Prozac prescription were anti-psychotic meds and electric shock treatments. She then began to experience seizures and was started on anti-seizure meds.

#5 A concerned neighbor reported her friend was drinking straight Vodka on a regular basis after being prescribed Zoloft.

#6 A daughter reported her father, sober for 15 years, began drinking again on Prozac. The consistent report from these patients has been an “overwhelming craving or compulsion” for alcohol.

#7 One woman who brought her young niece with her to the FDA hearing when Prozac was still the only SSRI antidepressant on the market in 1991 testified of her family’s double tragedy. Her sister, with an alcohol problem, was given Prozac and shot herself in front of her young daughter who had come with her aunt. Then the father was given Prozac, who also had an alcohol problem, and he too committed suicide on the drugs leaving their daughter as an orphan that the aunt was now raising as her own child. Had this warning been given that little girl should have had to endure such suffering and her parents should still be with her.

The Blood Sugar Connection

Could it be that because these drugs have such a strong adverse effect upon the pancreas [Manufacturer’s warnings include such side effects as hypoglycemia, diabetes and pancreatitis.] they are producing a potent disruption in the body’s blood sugar balance? This would in turn cause a “craving” for alcohol as the body reaches out for a “quick fix” to raise the blood sugar level thus triggering a vicious self-perpetuating cycle as the alcohol pushes the blood sugar level even lower after the brief high it produces. This means that those suffering a tendency toward alcoholism or any other blood sugar disorder would suffer the most disastrous repercussions of Prozac, etc., (including psychosis, suicidal ideation and violence) much faster than most. Patient reports support this conclusion.

In November of 1994 Yale published a study that gave us one answer to the alcohol cravings associated with these drugs. The study demonstrated that an increase in brain levels of either of two neurotransmitters (brain hormones), serotonin or noradrenalin, produces: #1 a craving for alcohol, #2 anger, #3 anxiety. They found this to be especially true for those who have a history of alcoholism. All of the drugs listed above are designed in one way or another to increase serotonin which in turn also increases noradrenalin.

The Bipolar Connection

In the early days of the SSRIs being introduced to the market many psychiatrists refused to prescribe Prozac, etc. due to their high potential to produce mania/Bipolar as a result. To learn this now after many years of the skyrocketing use of these drugs and every third person you meet being diagnosed Bipolar now, you might find it hard to believe that the connection seems to be made so rarely. There are many forms of mania which bring a diagnosis of Bipolar. One of the many forms is called Dipsomania. The description of dipsomania is an “overwhelming craving for alcohol” …. so this has long been known to be a form of mania which SSRIs are notorious for producing! You can watch me explain all of that here to the FDA clear back in the December 2006 hearings and yet a decade later there are still no warnings: Ann Blake-Tracy?s December 13, 2006 to the FDA | INTERNATIONAL COALITION FOR DRUG AWARENESS

Where Were The Warnings? Where Are The Warnings?

Anyone who has a history of alcoholism should heed the warning contained in these reports especially since so many alcohol rehab facilities regularly put patients coming in for alcohol rehabilitation on these drugs that produce cravings for alcohol thus defeating their whole purpose of being there. One high profile example of that is Lindsay Lohan who develop alcohol cravings from the use of Zoloft. The courts would order her into rehab who would keep her on the antidepressant and yet try to take her off alcohol. It is abuse in the worst form at the hands of the court system.

Anyone who has developed a problem with alcoholism while using these drugs deserves answers as to why they have experienced such an overwhelming compulsion to drink. America already has millions of alcoholics. To increase that number via a reaction from prescription drugs which causes a compulsion to drink is a tragedy! What a sad state of affairs that drugs which are actually being promoted as a treatment for alcoholism have the potential to create alcohol craving behavior. This is not only frightening, but absurd.

It is heart-rending to listen to those who have had years of sobriety destroyed almost overnight or those who have never touched alcohol before Prozac, yet began drinking compulsively due to a medication prescribed by doctors unfamiliar with this connection. By chemically inducing an overwhelming urge to drink this effect also causes patients to mix alcohol in combination with these powerful drugs. When alcohol and drugs are combined, one can compound the effects of the other so the resulting impairment is far worse than if the two were taken separately…even small amounts, mixed with some medicines, will deaden your senses or change your perceptions which can lead to psychotic behavior, seizures, etc.

Those in this situation need to be made aware that they are not alone, and that this is a common report which is now substantiated by medical documentation. They also need to understand that it is possible to very gradually withdraw from these drugs and overcome these adverse drug reactions.

This can also be seen as a reaction in the abrupt or rapid withdrawal from antidepressants due to the shock of that type of withdrawal.

Some of the high profile cases we could point to for this would be the DUI Glen Campbell got in Phoenix, AZ while on Lexapro. And Heri Paul, the driver for Princess Di who drove her and Dodi to their deaths while on Prozac. His toxicology showed he had blood alcohol levels three times the legal limit while his family reported he did not drink. Yet they found his alcohol cravings had become so intense on Prozac that he was taking a drug similar to antibuse to stop him from drinking.

Do you guys agree?
Old 04-29-2016, 09:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

That wasn't my experience, no.

(I removed the link as the author has various books and CDs for sale and we cannot link to commercial sites)

D
Old 04-29-2016, 10:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My alcohol intake has increased since being on anti D's but it could be because alcoholism is progressive or because the fact that I am on these meds means I am not in a good place so potentially self medicating with alcohol.
On the flip side I would love to blame my drinking on my meds but not sure I can.
Food for thought.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This is hard for me to respond to. My drinking has been a build up and I still teeter on "alcoholism" and other sayings. I've been on depression meds since age 20 and sleep meds (sleep disorder) since age 14. This is a slippery slope like everything else. I was a moderate drinker for years on same combo I'm on now. Then had a baby, 1 year lapsed and after I gave up breastfeeding, depression consumed me and I just, for some reason, went full-throttled with drinking. Worst mistake ever.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:38 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
EndGame

The author of the article you cited, Ann Blake Tracy, was literally awarded a bogus PhD in health sciences, with an emphasis on psychology, from a non-accredited program, George Wythe College (which started operating in 1992), that nearly bunked itself out of existence following serious investigations around the school's practices, in particular, financial mismanagement and administrative integrity. Her PhD has since been revoked. She also received a bachelor's degree in psychology and biblical studies from Coral Ridge Baptist University in Utah, a school affiliated with George Wythe College. During these investigations, Mr. Oliver DeMille (who ran both schools and who granted Ms. Tracy's PhD) was found to have been granted two illegitimate degrees in the 1990s. Both schools were specifically investigated for granting degrees for which students did not take any classes or instruction.

I'm familiar with Ms. Tracy's book, Prozac: Panacea or Pandora? (1994), a mish-mosh of righteous indignation, unprofessional research (if it can legitimately be called "research" at all), and fear-mongering. Her book has been used as a manual about how not to do valid, reliable and respectable research in drug studies.

There are problems with all medications, and antidepressants have their own particular drawbacks. Yet despite her often wild claims, the use of SSRIs has helped millions of people to reclaim their lives and live in meaningful ways. Deciding whether or not to take any medication and, perhaps, especially those used for depression, is very subjective and needs to be discussed between doctor and patient. Illegitimate hysteria around potential effects of taking antidepressants helps no one and increases fear among those already plagued by irrationality and fear.

Very few people have reported crave-induction or an increase in cravings for alcohol as a result of taking SSRIs; those that have are anecdotal, meaning that they were not reported within controlled clinical studies. If you've ever seen a medication ad on TV, then you're aware of the litany of possible side effects that are noted at the very end of each ad. The most severe side effects of each drug is very rare, and it's required by law to inform the public so that people can make their own choices.

The following is an excerpt from a larger piece around the wrongdoings of both schools, and Ms. Tracy's willing participation in the deceitful practices that enabled her to acquire her degrees. She may have done better to marshall her energies towards helping those who are victimized by people who misrepresent themselves as qualified health professionals.

Final Steps in the Administrative Transformation of George Wythe University
by BOARD OF TRUSTEES on OCTOBER 10, 2012

Revoked degrees
Meanwhile, our internal investigation found two degrees from the early days of the school that have failed scrutiny of the faculty and board. These degrees were improperly awarded by Mr. DeMille and, in accordance with policy, have been revoked.

We are especially concerned that any alumnus would use a credential to misrepresent themselves as an having expertise for which they are not properly qualified. The potential risk for causing public harm is real and justifies a public response.

The first of these degrees was awarded to a book author by the name of Ann Blake Tracy in 1995. Tracy’s student file contains conclusive evidence that the PhD authorized by Oliver DeMille was never earned by any coursework, but was simply awarded for Tracy’s presentation of a book she had already published entitled “Prozac: Panacea or Pandora.” There is no record of Tracy enrolling in, attending, or receiving grades for any regular classes. Notwithstanding this, Tracy’s degree was granted on equal terms with the degrees other students earned by completing formal PhD coursework, practica and supervised dissertations. Records also exist for her payment of tuition fees, which negates the possibility that it was an honorary degree. Still, favors for Tracy were granted, such as a 50% scholarship discount and allowance for delayed payment on her balance. From the correspondence on file, DeMille also displayed strong personal support for Tracy’s activism on the risks of anti-depressant drugs. Based on the available evidence, it is impossible to determine whether this ideological agreement contributed to their motives, but there is no excuse for this type of exception. It is unjustifiable and reprehensible.
Old 04-30-2016, 12:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I was an alcoholic before i took pills,
I was an alcoholic whilst i took the pills,
I was an alcoholic after i took the pills,

The best thing i did in helping to deal with my depression was giving up drinking .

Sobriety has made my world far less dark and i make better / more self nurturing decisions .

m
Old 04-30-2016, 02:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've been on zoloft for years and for a while, was drinking while on it, but it did not cause me to drink. Now that I'm sober, my zoloft works as it should and my depression is manageable.
Old 04-30-2016, 05:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I have seen some of the things she talks about, and a similar dialogue was taking place in New Zealand in the professional community a couple of years back. I am not surprised she has been discredited, when you look at what is at stake. The top professional alcoholism expert in New Zealand often finds himself on the wrong side of the brewing giants who have enormous political power.

Call me a cynic, but there is a fantastic business model here, called repeat business. It's been tried and well proven in the past, as a money make. I think tobacco was the product back then. Remember how the tobacco companies fought to keep their product selling?

No smoke without fire?
Old 04-30-2016, 07:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
I am not surprised she has been discredited, when you look at what is at stake.

No smoke without fire?
She was discredited because her work wasn't credible.

For as long as there's been science, there's been junk science (see flat earth). The advent of the internet, and the unholy alliances between junk science and politics, have blown it into previously unseen proportions.

Here's a good site to help differentiate science from that which isn't:
https://sites.jmu.edu/gbio103/how-do...ce-cosmo-quiz/
Old 04-30-2016, 08:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

This "article" is indeed an especially gruesome example of the very worst kind of "junk science."

The sad part is that there really may a link at some level between anti-depressant use and alcohol cravings -- when all is said and done, we still know very little about how these things operate and interrelate -- but hysterical, unfounded, amateurish "articles" like this one serve only to discourage and discredit legitimate research.

My own experience: during the period when I was falling down the rabbit hole into full-blown alcoholism, I felt that the anti-depressant I was on (Paxil) was somehow "egging me on" to drink more.

In retrospect, after several years of sobriety, I believe that the only substance causing me to want to drink more alcohol was, in fact, alcohol itself.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've been on Zoloft for many, many years - before, during and after my alcoholic days. It does not cause alcohol cravings for me.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
under new management

I have been sober for 1 yr and 4 months (but who's counting....me, lol!).

I have been on an antidepressant for the past 3 months and I finally feel normal. I feel stable and in control in a way that I can't even remember experiencing. I didn't know what normal felt like but I think this is it!

Old 04-30-2016, 01:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Years ago I had 17 years sobriety and then started drinking again. I had started taking Prozac around that time but I also had stopped meetings and program way before that so I don't know. The Prozac made me high....mimicked the euphoria of alcohol so maybe in some way it activated the craving. Anyway I drank for 17 years until 9 months ago. I've been on Prozac and Trazodone for sleep for 20 years. I'm now tapering off of both of them very slowing with Drs. knowledge. I'm chronically ill and want to rid myself of all toxins.
Old 04-30-2016, 04:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Recently started taking Zoloft. I find that it has helped me a lot. My mood is stable and I feel normal. I also have no desire to drink from taking this medication. Actually I find it is the opposite. This medication has helped me to stop drinking.
Old 04-30-2016, 05:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Speaking only for myself, I was on a SSRI for 10 years without any drinking issues. I'm currently taking the generic for Lexapro. I expect to be on it for the rest of my life. I don't believe my drinking and my use of an SSRI anti-depressant are related.
Old 04-30-2016, 07:49 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

For many people, myself included, antidepressants have been a lifesaver for crippling depression. IMHO, the real correlation is alcoholism and depression itself - as mentioned in an earlier post, the "self-medicating" factor.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:01 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

So good for my soul to see the intelligent, sound arguments against the initial post of this thread. Thank you for posting the info that the PHD of this study is a fake.

I agree with another user who said she drank before the anti-depressants, while on them and after. That is my experience as well. I suffer from a spiritual malady and I treated this with alcohol and drugs. I also suffer from depression and anxiety, so anti-depressants has helped me get up daily and function so I could start treating my disease of alcoholism. I know these things a lot of times are linked with many of us. I don't think it is good to use a fake study as an excuse to not take prescribed medication. If you read the quoted clinical examples, they sound so made-up and whittled down to basic reasoning that you can't logically have when dealing with alcoholism, addiction or mental health.

Thank you to the wise users who aren't afraid to share their experience so others can form their own opinions.

Keep fighting.<3
Old 04-30-2016, 09:34 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you guys for sharing your personal experiences. That lady has multiple fb groups and this popped up on fb so I found it interesting.
I agree with the post that there is not enough data and research on this topic, but should not be used as an excuse.
Old 05-01-2016, 02:53 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I have depression. I am on medication.

I have drunk far more since medicated. I DO wonder if it's due to the medication. Before medication I'd be much more likely to go for a run or walk. I wouldn't have to talk myself into a walk. I'm so much more tired on medication and it's an effort to get moving. I'm cutting down soon, and then I'll know for sure whether AD's have mad ean impact on my drinking. But that said, being on them has literally saved my lifeand for that I am forever grateful.
Old 05-01-2016, 03:20 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Rehydrating to Oblivion.

This topic has intrigued me for a while, as I found my alcohol intake increased after I started taking anti depressants. I was very much emotionally dependent on it beforehand still however, I'd have something nearly every night to 'help me sleep'. The binge drinking started afterwards.

Whether or not I was on this downward spiral already (probably), or if the anti d's increased that craving (probably not),im not too sure of. I've always wondered about it though, perhaps a part of me is hoping it's the anti d's, in the hope I can 'return' to normal drinking. It's a pipe dream however, and I have to deal with the hand I've got in front of me.