Notices

AA and my 3.5 yr old grandson

Old 04-29-2016, 06:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

AA and my 3.5 yr old grandson

I have a very adorable, very smart, and very nosey 3.5 year old grandson who seems to be getting more and more interested in the mysterious meetings (AA) Grandpa goes to. Anyone I'm close to knows I'm in recovery so that is a non issue but I am going to be as evasive as possible with a 3 year old because I don't want my sobriety to be the subject of show and tell at preschool.

The problem is he wants to know where I'm going, why I go there, what I do there, why he can't come, why Nana doesn't go and on and on. He is smart so he knows he is not getting the whole story so that makes him even more curious

What I'm looking is some basic frame work that will satisfy his curiosity, be truthful, with a minimum of details.

Any ideas?
Old 04-29-2016, 06:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think you hit the nail on the head, MIR. The less mysterious, the better.

What if you said, "Grandpa does all kinds of things that make him feel healthy. Sometimes I go for walks and enjoy nature. Sometimes I listen to really nice music. Sometimes I go meet with my friends and we talk."

Perhaps wind it up with asking him what he likes to do to feel healthy?
Old 04-29-2016, 07:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

"its a bunch of men talking I don't think it would be fun for you, there aren't any other children there. But you can go. You'll have to sit quietly and not say anything".
Take him. I've seen little kids at AA meetings. They looked bored. Once might be more than enough.
Old 04-30-2016, 03:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My physiologist says an age appropriate version of the truth is always the best.
He wouldn't understand alcohol or alcoholic at this age but you could pick and choose some phrases and come up with something that would work for your situation.

I go to a meeting for people like me who need medicine for our souls. We stay healthy and strong by talking to other people like us. Nana doesn't go because she doesn't this kind of talking medicine.