Notices

Using alcohol for physical pain

Old 04-29-2016, 07:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Using alcohol for physical pain

Sometimes people anesthetize themselves with alcohol for physical as well as mental pain. That's been true for me. Aches and twinges and all kinds of neuralgia. It hurts to get older. The weather is changing and it brings on all sorts of misery. Ironically it's colder than a well digger's arse out here and I'm having central air conditioning installed today.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

There really are better options for physical aches and pains than drinking alcohol and I really hope that you can find something that works for you.

Most of the OTC medications will help and I've found that the Cream Rubs really help with back and neck pain. I've also found that heat and ice work really well for sore back. And, soaking in a tub is so beneficial. It's also my experience that staying active helps the age-related aches and pains and getting out and walking is great. I have learned that strengthening muscles helps the aches too. Eg, I have some hip pain, so I do exercises that strengthen the muscles in the hip area and it helps to reduce pain.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

When I quit drinking I felt all the aches and pains alcohol would numb. But after awhile they went away. It took a couple of weeks. You're supposed to feel these pains and listen to your body in case they are something more serious. Like Anna said, there are far better (and healthier) ways to relieve the aches and pains.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Alcohol holds many false promises, this being no exception. Having said that, I drank because i felt bad, but I also drank when I felt good. Pretty much I drank all the time, no matter how I felt. And in the end, not only did alcohol quit helping me feel "better", it actually made everything worse.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
There really are better options for physical aches and pains than drinking alcohol and I really hope that you can find something that works for you.

Most of the OTC medications will help and I've found that the Cream Rubs really help with back and neck pain. I've also found that heat and ice work really well for sore back. And, soaking in a tub is so beneficial. It's also my experience that staying active helps the age-related aches and pains and getting out and walking is great. I have learned that strengthening muscles helps the aches too. Eg, I have some hip pain, so I do exercises that strengthen the muscles in the hip area and it helps to reduce pain.
Trillion % this
Old 04-29-2016, 07:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was always in so much pain from drinking. Alcohol wreaks havoc on our bodies. Long term it just makes pain worse for us.
Proper rest, exercise, healthy diet and nutrition, lots of water.... otc meds physiotherapy etc all are better options than drinking and gives you a better chance at improving pain long term.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Until I feel like my liver is going to recover, I'm trying to stay away from OTC medication as much as I can. I do like good old aspirin though it can cause bleeding. I use capsaicin cream and hot and cold packs, the usual. I can't get in and out of the tub easily right now so I'm stuck with showers for now, until I get more spry.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lonelywombat67 View Post
Sometimes people anesthetize themselves with alcohol for physical as well as mental pain. That's been true for me. Aches and twinges and all kinds of neuralgia. It hurts to get older. The weather is changing and it brings on all sorts of misery. Ironically it's colder than a well digger's arse out here and I'm having central air conditioning installed today.
in my experience alcohol caused a lot more pain than it ever relieved.