Notices

When did the sugar cravings start...

Old 04-28-2016, 12:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

When did the sugar cravings start...

if you ever got them? I've never had a sweet tooth, but have always loved fruit (and been a healthy eater). Ever since I begin drinking more regularly I eat less fruit (more veggies though). Once you quit, did you develop a sweet tooth? I still don't have sugar cravings yet (only on day 4 and don't drink every day), but was curious if it would come or maybe I'll just start craving fruit again.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I didn't think I had a "sweet tooth" either...till I quit.

Those 2000 empty calories a day left a void. Body wanted carbs. So I ate a lot of sweets in early recovery.

After extended sobriety, things balanced out. I can eat desserts, but I don't crave them.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I craved sweet food in early recovery, it fades gradually. As quitting booze essential in my case I ate the sweet stuff and only bote down on in once I was sober for three months

Congratulations on 4 days Babescake
Old 04-28-2016, 12:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Never thought I had a sweet tooth until I quit either. I'm going on 2 years and I hope my sugar cravings taper off soon... although I'll take eating sweats any time over the way I used to be!
Old 04-28-2016, 12:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I went through a faze of buying a large green & blacks on the way home from work.....probably the same amount of calories as a bottle of red!!! I let myself indulge in the first month or so, now I just eat like a horse! But because my liver is functioning properly and not coping with alcohol , I have evened out. Reckon I weigh about 3kgs more though!!
Old 04-28-2016, 01:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

I met Ben & Jerry in early recovery became good friends

it balances out x
Old 04-28-2016, 01:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I can't say I had a craving for sweets, but I had a craving for food. Every Monday and Tuesday after my weekend drinking I was a bottomless pit. Anything and everything.

Now's here's a weird one, I had a donut this morning after a meeting, I haven't had a donut it 15 years. I can't figure out why, but 20 minutes after I ate it, I couldn't stay awake. I had to nap. I'm sure it was sugar related.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Absolutely no sugar cravings whatsover. But I didn't eat much sugar before. I just wants pasta....lots of pasta.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

During the day I'm fine - it's when I am up half the night that I start the sugar obsessing. Don't let the whole sugar craving thing deter you from quitting for fear of weight gain though. I seriously feel so much better than when I was drinking.

I never cared about sweets before I quit. I thought it was funny and strange at the end of the second week when I started asking my son if he wanted to accompany me to get a frozen yogurt or an ice cream. He loved it but sure gave me a side-eye ha ha.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It's something to do with alcohol being converted to sugar by the body. I am not too educated on the topic but I did read that once.
Old 04-28-2016, 03:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I got a very sweet tooth that has never gone. I don't mind though, lost a lot of weight becoming sober even though I eat a lot of sweets!
Old 04-28-2016, 07:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You are absolutely right Volshen. Alcohol is metabolized (converted) into sugar and fat. The sugar is burned by the body immediately, the fat is stored away for future use...but seldom is it used. I'am testament to that fact !

DD