Notices

A healing weekender April 29 part 1

Old 04-28-2016, 02:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Thumbs up A healing weekender April 29 part 1

Healing is ongoing for me. From my childhood abuse. From my drinking shame. From my drugged up actions and exploits. From the people I have hurt including myself.

Healing often seems impossible. That's when I would throw my hands up and drink again. That same old pattern over and over.

But I have come to accept that healing is a lesson in understanding; and the more I practice it the better I become.

Thanks to SR for exposing me to a super concentrated classroom of people from around the world, all sharing the healing they so badly want. For each other and for ourselves.

SR might be a crash course in many things really. But I have found it to be one of healing for me. The weekender threads have done so much in continuing to teach me the lesson of healing and allowing me the opportunity to practice it. Thank you!

Welcome to your sober weekend!

Ken

Old 04-28-2016, 02:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Shotgun
Old 04-28-2016, 02:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wow! That was a fast draw there cardoon! Good to see you!
Old 04-28-2016, 02:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi weasel .

SR has been a huge help to me. I read nearly every day. I spent a lot of time in the seculR connection threads early on. There is some great practice information there on quitting and getting your mind right. Nearly a year ago I took up daily mediation. That has been helpful in my sober jouney. There is so much personal stuff to work on and when I make it a fun game and not a laborious chore I can make a lot of progress. That's my take on healing right now.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm on! Thank you K - a fine theme for this weekend.

Congratulations on a quick draw shot gun Cardoon!

This weekend, I will be contributing to a "Meitheal" (MEH-hull) in Mrs B's sister's house in the West of Ireland. Meitheal means a working party, joining efforts toward a shared goal. This Irish word refers to the tradition of a group of neighbouring farmers coming together for a number of days to reap corn, pick potatoes, etc. No pay was involved but the recipient of the help was expected to provide hospitality.

In a way, the weekender is a regular Meitheal, as we work at maintaining our sobriety and the healing that brings, together, in the spirit of fellowship, encouragement, and hospitality.

My best wishes,

B
Old 04-28-2016, 02:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Cardoon that's very good advice to new people. I try to read as much as I can here on SR. It's been a real life saver. Literally.

Wow Mr. Behan. Thanks for that. What a wonderful thing to participate in. Have fun and tell us all about it.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Count me in. I woke up and couldn't fall right back to sleep so I figured I would check in.

Thanks for the thread Ken.

Congrats cardoon.

morning behan.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:45 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm in. Healing sounds good.
Xx
Old 04-28-2016, 02:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Popgun.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Popcorn
Old 04-28-2016, 02:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

I always love the intro to these awesome threads thank you Ken I'm definitely in riding the roof always

Old 04-28-2016, 03:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

This is hilarious i was almost crying with laughter by the ending

Magician Convinces Woman To Believe They Discovered An Alien Species. Her Reaction Is Priceless
Old 04-28-2016, 03:39 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm in.
Old 04-28-2016, 03:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

howitzer?
Old 04-28-2016, 03:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
EnjoyingTheJourney

Morning all and I'm in for this Sober weekend, celebrating 4 months on Sunday-

Thank you Ken for the lovely theme. I have many hurts to heal and SR is my soft place to land.

Those are some wise words Behan and the Meitheal concept sounds like a great way to spend the weekend. Look forward to hearing more about it!
Old 04-28-2016, 03:58 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
The man with the BIG plan!

I'm in for a sober weekend!
Old 04-28-2016, 04:09 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
But I have come to accept that healing is a lesson in understanding; and the more I practice it the better I become.
I have been desperate in my search for ways to heal my battered soul, and there have been times when I have thought that I would never heal at all. But here you have described exactly what I have been looking for for so long. Thank you, Ken.
Old 04-28-2016, 04:21 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Accordion

Old 04-28-2016, 04:30 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Healing… While working in the yard I get a lot of time to think. Recently (yesterday) I was going over my life a bit. And meditating on some things, and sometimes just being with the birds and experiencing ‘life’ outside. I’ve done a lot of damage in my time. And now that I have few real friends is a testament to how drinking altered my personality at times. I can’t change others nor can I change others opinions or experiences of me. Sure I can take the opportunities to make things right with people. But still it is up to them to forgive past behaviors. I know I tried and the only real thing I can do is live better and not make the same mistakes going forward. Living sober is all I can do now.
Knowing that I am doing my best now, for me, is enough to overcome the feelings of disappointment I have allowed my past to manifest in myself and others in me over time. I cannot dwell on the past, but occasionally use it as a reminder… I am still caught in a funk. Knowing that every job opportunity, in my field, that there is a nationwide bulletin on the internet if the person vetting candidates will find easily. It is on my mind a lot. All you have to do is “google” ‘LBrain’ and sure as *** it shows up.
Having worked a job that took up what seemed like 90% of my life, most of my social connections were with ‘work’ people. Work people have abandoned me – I am not good company to keep it seems. Now, the few friends I have are scattered or busy with their own lives. SR has become my social connection, and my solace.
Meitheal, is a good example of how SR has helped me the past couple years. Reading about other’s successes or how they are coping with life is inspiration for me. I was fortunate that I just decided to quit drinking and was able to do it. It was by no means easy. But I made a commitment to myself that I was never going to allow alcohol to affect my life ever again. If you don’t know, I lost my career due to an alcohol related event (the google reference above). In retrospect I am amazed I made it as far as I did. SR has broadened my outlook and I have learned much from the many who frequent these pages. And I count you all as my friends.
I sometimes ask for advice without really asking. Or I perused the forums and picked up a few tidbits of information that has helped me along the way.
You've all been a part of my healing process. Thanks everyone.
Old 04-28-2016, 04:39 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

In. Good morning everyone.

Great post, Brain.

Marty, I hope you're feeling better.

Thanks Ken for starting us off.

Bandicoot, congrats on almost 4 months.
Safe trip Sao