Notices

Day 3

Old 04-28-2016, 01:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Day 3

Hi all.
Today is day 3 for me. So proud that I didn't drink tonight since I was at my parents for dinner who do drink.
The last few weeks have been pretty bad which made me quit. I was drinking alot last week and felt suicidal which has never happened to me before.
Tuesday was pretty rough. tired, anxious and cranky. Nauseous and dizzy.
Wednesday just slightly better.
Energy levels a bit better today.
I'm making sure I eat well and drink more water. Overdoing the caffeine though.
I guess Ive finally realised the alcoholism is real and i can't drink.
My aim is to start exercising next week when i feel a bit more real. I have been pretty foggy headed and finding it hard to concentrate.
One thing that I hate that alcoholism has done to me is impacted my health and made me fat. I have control over this and I can do it.
I'm a functional alcohol somewhat and have a good job. So thank god I still have a job.
Any support - help- advice on getting through every day without giving into cravings? Reading the threads here over the last few days has really helped.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on getting to Day 3. It gets better as time goes on, so hang in there!

Sugar really helps with withdrawal and cravings. If that's a problem I'd really recommend lots of fruit - that's what got me through the early days.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Way to go on day 3 Crlion
Old 04-28-2016, 03:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 3 and the decision to quit. That can be the toughest part. For me staying busy was important. Make a list of things you may have neglected , or just want to do. Don't overdo it (you need rest) but it feels great to cross things off. Go to meetings if that's your thing. Exercise for me is a #1 priority, movement=getting rid of tension. Go to meetings. Remember what you wrote in that post when you get a craving. Stop and think. Welcome!
Old 04-28-2016, 03:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I find the cravings go up if I put myself within temptation's easy reach - ie: going back to the people or places where I used to get drunk. I have a different pattern of life now. As for exercise? Well, no-one gets drunk in my gym (I don't think).
Old 04-28-2016, 03:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Way to go Crlion... Keep it going !

I find walking as a great exercise and very helpful for My well being.... Gives me opportunity to not only exercise but clear my thoughts.

You can start anytime ... No training necessary :-)
Old 04-29-2016, 08:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Smile now into day 5

Thank you all for your support

I.m now starting day five. Yesterday was so difficult. Friday after work drinks was a usual of mine. But I promised myself I wouldn't do it. I went out for dinner with my other half to a restaurant that doesn't serve alcohol to get my mind off the drink. Once I got home from the restaurant the need for a drink had passed.
Today I've been keeping busy painting a picture for my mum for mothers day. It's half finished and looks ok.
Heres to more days being sober.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hello,

I'm wrapping up day # 5 myself, after 15 solid years on the sauce.

Today is the first day that I felt "ok."

I felt lousy the first few days. I was on a work trip this week, and had MANY opportunities to have a drink, but didn't.

I'm not advocating this, and I'm not an expert, so don't take this as advice, but on day One, two, AND three I found myself in fully functional bars having lunch and dinner. It would have been SO easy to have a drink, and it was SO hard not to.

But each time I said, "NO!" and walked out after dinner feeling very accomplished and determined. For me, this helped solidify the idea that I CAN really do this, because I just did!

These are the first times I've ever sit foot in a restaurant, during my adult life, and didn't have a drink. That's amazing to me!

Keep it up.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations on day five! You almost have one week of sobriety!!!
Old 04-30-2016, 12:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That's so great to hear crlion, that mother's day present sounds lovely.
Old 04-30-2016, 02:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for responding

Just writing on here, reading your replies and others stories have really helped me.
I sunk into a deep depression this afternoon and nearly went to the bottle shop. but didn't thank goodness.
I did take one valium. It is the only one I've had since being sober and it helped take the edge of the anxiety with the depression. I'd rather one valium than a bottle of wine. I only have about 3 valium pills in the house so can't get hooked on those.
The picture for my mum is an oil painting copy with some tweaks of a pavarotti cd cover. It has turned out really nice. About half way through.
Need the paint to dry before I do any more work on it.
Thanks all so much for your posts. This is the worst withdrawal I've ever had. And pms doesn't help. (sorry guys).

Last edited by crlion; 04-30-2016 at 02:12 AM. Reason: spelling error
Old 04-30-2016, 02:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

We're here for you bud
Old 05-01-2016, 01:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Red face yey made it to day 6 sober

Went for a long drive today to see my fiances daughter for her birthday,
Was lovely to actually do something on the weekend other than sitting around drinking.
But mental health has gone up and down all week.
Just a bit about my history.
Got chronic fatigue syndrome in 1996 and still have it. Have had breast cancer twice and been in a psych ward twice for psychosis.
Just needed to get that out. The emotional turmoil from all of those
definitely fuelled the fire with drinking
Previous husband was a control freak.
anyway thats just a vent from me.
Could say alot more and i don't want to come across as the victim.
I now know I have to control what I do especially the drinking impact on my health
But I'm still smoking cigarettes. They will be gone next. Couldn't cope with the mental turmoil of giving up drink and cigarettes.
Looking forward to tomorrow at work with no hangover.
yey
Thanks again all for your support.
Old 05-01-2016, 02:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

The early recovery period is a bit up and down emotionally Crlion.

The only condition you mention I have any experience with is CFS, but I think most people see a mood stabilisation after a little while?

D
Old 05-02-2016, 07:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Talking Starting Day 8

I thought I was at day 7 but no have now past the one week mark which is exciting.

It's the longest stretch I have had sober in a year.

The last week was pretty hard. Tiredness is up and down. The flat emotionless feeling is lifting. Only thing is my concentration is a bit off.
I've lost 2.3kgm in the last week yey. But I am also on a diet. Getting married in December so need to lose about 30kgm by then. The copious amounts of alcohol put on those 30 kgm.
Friday was the worst day.
Last night I didn't even think about drinking which was awesome.

Picture for my mum for mothers day is nearly finished. Just need to get it framed.

Today is a good day but will see how I go tomorrow. Only thing bothering me is a bad back. Stuffed it on saturday and couldn't walk. By the end of the day sitting at my desk it hurts pretty bad. jUst resting it and hopefully it will get better over the next week.

Next weeks goal is to finish the painting, not drink, stay on the diet , work hard at work and hopefully lose some more weight. It's not just about weight loss it's also about my health. I can feel my mental and physical health improving.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:35 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Congratulations on day 8. Hope your back gets to feeling better soon--remember drinking is not the solution. That stuff is poison to us.