Notices

Bad advice, a ramble and advice and a hello!

Old 04-27-2016, 01:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Bad advice, a ramble and advice and a hello!

Hello all *sigh*...

I registered and am writing this because I'm hoping it might help me with being sober. I don't think I have the biggest problems with drinking, but I really do think I'm an alcoholic, which really sucks.

I've tried to stop drinking once before, but failed after about a week. Can't remember why I drank again - I think it was as a 'reward' for being off the booze...a very bizarre logic I know.

I mostly drink alone, every evening, to the point of falling asleep. I think I use alcohol as a medicine, to cure anxiety and depression, I really need to get to a doctor. I've been wary of doing this however. I went to the doctor with concerns about my drinking (about a bottle of red every night at that point) and she laughed me out the office. She didn't see it as a problem, but I could foresee something was up. I wish she'd have listened.

I have to do this. My main issue is moderation. I simply cannot have one or two drinks and leave it at that - is that an issue all alcoholics face?

I blacked out for the first time last month, and spent 3 hours talking to my friend over Skype, and although I wasn't abusive, I apparently told them some pretty harrowing stuff about my childhood, and cried a lot. I've also been blacking out more frequently of late and been having interactions with my flatmates, again not abusive, but not ideal.

Lat night I drank a couple of red wine bottles, a four pack of cider, and a bottle of strong vintage cider, and this morning I felt like complete death. I have to change this habit, It's literally killing me. I can do a cold turkey, i sweat a lot at night and hardly sleep, but it's doable. Alcohol doesn't even feel pleasurable in my mouht any more, and sometimes it even feels like my throat doesn't want to accept it.

I've also developed a bad chain smoking habit whilst drinking - this also needs to stop, I can feel it, and almost feel sick from the smoke. Nasty.

I was in the supermarket today buying supplies for a movie night (my flatmates are really good with me atm - trying to get me to socialize more) and I actually found myself contemplating buying a bottle of spirits - "STOP" my sober brain was trying to say, luckily it was heard. I was that close to bringing home a bottle of gin or rum, after feeling like death for the whole day. WTF?!

I ended up buying some bottles of ale, drank half of one, chucked the rest.

I've seen talk of making a plan...could somebody tell me what a sobriety plan is and how they help? It's my birthday in a month, what a great gift to give myself!

Thanks for letting me have the space and time to offload...here's to day 1...

cb x
Old 04-27-2016, 02:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi cb...the link below should help...if I have done it right that is!!!

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/382110-psst-wanna-know-why-im-always-recommending-recovery-plans.html

My recovery plan includes weekly psychotherapy sessions, healthy diet and exercise (2 stone lighter as a result), a daily gratitude list, journalling and listening to recovery and personal development audiobooks x
Old 04-27-2016, 02:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome.

Others out there will give you better advice than me on a recovery plan, so I will leave it to them.

You have made a massive step coming on here and posting, you know what you have to do, I wish you all the best with achieving it.

Keep close to the forums, we are all here to help.

PC
Old 04-27-2016, 02:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you Nova, that's a great help...you did it right!
Old 04-27-2016, 02:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Petecrab View Post

Keep close to the forums, we are all here to help.

PC
Thanks PC. I'm enjoying the calmness tonight. It feels great already not chain smoking and getting sloshed. I realise how much I enjoy a cup of tea
Old 04-27-2016, 02:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Chineseblue. I had to make a plan early on to help me through tough times. Make a plan to keep you occupied, a plan for when your AV starts to tell you, "one drink won't hurt", a plan to give you the best chance at breaking this cycle.

Part of my plan was and is to stay close to SR. Use any and all sources of recovery as much as you can. I was literally on SR as much as possible during my early days of sobriety.

Commit to not drinking and reaffirm your commitment every day. Always remind yourself why you are fighting this battle.

You can do this, welcome aboard.
Old 04-27-2016, 02:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I can't believe I forgot to add SR to my post...I have checked in on here every day since starting my sobriety in January...sorry SR ☺ x
Old 04-27-2016, 02:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Always remind yourself why you are fighting this battle.
This has to be at the front of my mind. I tried having some words on my phone last time I tried to stop, to remind me. I tend to forget how bad it can get.

Thanks ccam1979
Old 04-27-2016, 03:24 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chineseblue View Post
Thanks PC. I'm enjoying the calmness tonight. It feels great already not chain smoking and getting sloshed. I realise how much I enjoy a cup of tea
Keep that thought near and dear to yourself.
Old 04-27-2016, 03:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You'll find lots of support and good ideas here.
Old 04-27-2016, 11:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome CB
Old 04-27-2016, 11:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to the family, CB! Kudos to you for wanting to do something about your situation. You'll find a lot of help and support here. Use us whenever you need us, there is always someone online.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:04 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you Soberwolf and Fabela...I have a feeling that I'll need a chat at some point in the next few days!

Well, last night went better than expected. Not sure if I'll be getting more withdrawals today/tonight but I had minor cold sweats, itchy arms and some pretty interesting closed eye visuals.

This had also been the first time I have allowed myself to fall asleep naturally in a long time, and although It did take a long time to sleep, one I did, had a good 3-4 hours. Dreams were of a horror nature.

I realised that for so long, I'd be finishing work, either going online to Reddit or watching a TV Series whilst getting pissed and then not allowing my mind to process all of this information. I have years of negative build up in my brain - ouch.

I also didn't ever think I'd be the sort of person that needed to write a Wellness Toolbox (Thanks for the links up top there) but yeah, I realise now that I'm pretty awful without structure. Also pretty bad at looking after myself, I love my flatmates, but I really need to think about living on my own...I almost feel like I live a lot better when It's just me around.

So not really day 1, more like day 0.5 - but a few really interesting things learned.

Blessings to each and all,

cb
Old 04-28-2016, 12:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

ps...If I were to have a space just to write a daily update for myself, where would the best place be for that on SR?

cb
Old 04-28-2016, 12:14 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Just go to the Newcomers forum and make your own thread. I have one and I use it every day. It's really helpful.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:28 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chineseblue View Post
ps...If I were to have a space just to write a daily update for myself, where would the best place be for that on SR?

cb
You can also join the April Class thread in this section. It's a thread where people who have quit this April post updates, interact and support one another.

And welcome to Sober Recovery
Old 04-28-2016, 12:58 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

If feedback is not a priority, you can also use our blogs

welcome to SR chineseblue

D