Notices

Recovery through discovery - one effective path

Old 04-27-2016, 08:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recovery through discovery - one effective path

I'll preface this with an acknowledgement that it's not for everyone. Sometimes, there are physical limitations that simply make this an unrealistic option.

But - for many.... even for many who believe it's beyond reach, one avenue of discovery is an incredible road to recovery; Distance running.

I have a friend who was 300 lbs two years ago, when he began running. He labored at first to even run a block.... recently he ran a 5k in Boston and is about 165lbs.

MANY of my friends in running circles are former addicts. Yes, true, running has become a form of addiction as well - but they have transcended harmful addictions and have used running as a foundation for their sobriety.

I've been a runner for years, even while I was in active addiction. In sobriety though, it provides me a bedrock. It is anti-depressant, anti-anxiety. It is active mindfulness. It improves my health. It is communing with nature. It is ACTIVE. It puts me in a frame of mind of making positive, healthy decisions. It is social - often my closest moments of friendship are held along the trail, talking with fellow runners along a 10 mile route. Events help challenge me, give me goals, inspiration and a community of other runners and health-oriented people. Many of these don't drink at all. Many others drink, but only sparingly and do not in any way encourage or influence drinking as a core of life.

Running extends and deepens the quality of life. It sheds pounds and boosts energy and provides release and heals.

Maybe you don't think you're a runner. Maybe you feel it wouldn't work for you. Maybe you just never considered it.

But, in my experience many people have come from that same perspective and discovered that running was a savior and a path of discovery that opened their lives to their LIVES.

And many people have used it as an essential part of their recovery toolkit. Myself included.

You don't need to be fast. You can walk before you run. You can half-walk, half run. You can start wherever you are. It's cheap, it's accessible, it's everywhere..... and once you get rolling you'll be amazed, I promise.

Have a great sober day everyone.

Old 04-27-2016, 09:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Great post FO and I love the title recovery through discovery
Old 04-27-2016, 10:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks, Wolf!

Yeah... and running is just one example of that.

But I find that turning the perspective from what we must 'leave behind' to a focus on all that we stand to gain is a hugely-powerful way to support recovery success and reward.

Focusing on a new path to discovery; about ourselves and life and the joy of existence through doing new and healthy things. What a fantastic pathway to recovery!!
Old 04-27-2016, 10:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You can half-walk, half run.

Affectionately called a Wog in my book. I'm an expert Wogger. I wog 3-5 miles 3 times a week, the days I'm not doing hot yoga (the practice that I sing to the rafters). I Wog a 10-11 minute mile and that's just fine by me.

So yes, Walking, Running, Wogging. Whatever works. I loves it.