Notices

Special occasions and the alcoholic voice

Old 04-26-2016, 05:43 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Ah the 'special occasion' drink....Fact is, when I tried to moderate, I could rationalise just about any occasion as being special.

What IS special is being completely sober and completely present for whatever the 'special occasion' happens to be. Alcohol adds nothing, it detracts from.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:48 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I've fallen into this trap so many times its silly. A couple drinks at the BBQ, a couple beers at the football game, a glass of wine at the fancy dinner or holiday, a super-stressful week at work so I can have a couple drinks tonight. My problem is once I justify the special occasion, then its just a few small hops to my same old patterns and things get progressively worse. I haven't figured out how to let go of those occasions or face that I'll never have a drink at them EVER again. Take them one at a time as they come I suppose
Old 04-26-2016, 08:32 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

This is a really good thread - Thanks for writing George. And thanks Thomas for your succinct summary of your realisation that you had a problem.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:24 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I just finished watching the Louis Theroux documentary. Its certainly harrowing and sobering.

After drinking on Sunday, its tuesday today, and the past two day's I've been in this depressed state, I can't focus. I am meant to be looking for a new job (luckily I am working part time currently, doing some outdoors work that pays ok) but I am looking for something else, yet I can't mobilize myself to apply. I can't begin to look at anything. Its as if I don't want to look at the world, and I procastinate more than ever.

My mind is just consumed on my hangover, on not drinking. Its kind of a mental obsession.

I'm meant to have a date on thursday night and I am already thinking, maybe I need to change the place, as I was thinking about going to a wine bar with her, but after all of this, I need to start somewhere. So maybe I'll scrap that idea and do something different.