Notices

We're not the only ones....

Old 04-25-2016, 06:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

We're not the only ones....

Check this out...it's a little encouraging to see other people like us succeed....

28 Celebrities Who Have Admitted They Don't Drink
Old 04-25-2016, 07:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

these lists were important to me.... still are, actually.

while it may seem a little silly or superficial at first, it really has been powerful to me to seek out examples of prominent people who don't drink.

Why?

Well.... there is a social aspect at play that should not be discounted. Human beings are social creatures and like it or not we ARE influenced by our surroundings and by our community. Whatever we may perceive that to be. Atop that, those of us who have had addiction issues often share in common a pretty potent sense of anxiety or self-doubt. This all adds up to a certain susceptibility to peer pressure, messages in marketing, a sense of needing to 'be like' the herd.

This can really work against us when we look around and see drinking glamorized and woven into the fabric of seemingly every social element we see.

So - for me - keeping a list of people who don't drink or drug but could still be seen as successful or cool has been helpful. Looking within that list for people who I really legitimately look up to; certain artists or personalities who live by values that I aspire to and honor.

This helps counter those messages - both overt and subtle - that we confront in our lives a hundred or more times a day.
Old 04-25-2016, 07:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

There's strength in numbers...it's just encouraging to see that other ppl have struggled with and overcome this battle!
Old 04-25-2016, 07:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great post Freeowl. I agree with everything you wrote.
Old 04-25-2016, 07:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

FreeOwl,
I can't stand the way alcohol is glamourized and a part of everything. I still don't understand how it's legal....yet we serve it publicly, encouraging drinking and driving....it's always made out to be so harmless....I was watching this show where they were taking shots, but they never showed them getting drunk and making an ass of themselves lol...and they showed them taking several.....it's like, oh yeah....that's what happens...you just pound shots all night and stay in that fun "happy" stage of drunk...
Old 04-25-2016, 07:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Rob Lowe - "You want to get sober for your parents, you want to get sober for your job, you want to get sober for the cops, you want to get sober to protect your image. A lot of good reasons, by the way, but unfortunately, the only thing that works is that you have to want to get sober for you. So, I was ready."

No matter how it's sliced, diced or presented - this is indeed the key.

Thanks for the thread......
Old 04-25-2016, 07:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Rob Lowe stood out for me too, although Russell Brand also nails it.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My biggest fear....especially because of how dangerous my drinking has gotten recently....is that I'm going to relapse and do something so stupid....so I've just been googling all kinds of stuff to help me stay focused!
It's a terrible fear....the what ifs....because after so many black outs, I guess I'm just finally realizing the infinite possibilities of horrible things that could have happened....
Old 04-25-2016, 09:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

We are all human - thank you
Old 04-25-2016, 09:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you. Love this.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:33 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Throughout my years I've learned that many of the most successful people I know had one common denominator...they didn't drink alcohol. Shocking, right?
Old 04-25-2016, 09:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I just came across a few of these lists today! I keep a little daily "journal" of things- what I need to do, thoughts, grocery lists, just random stuff and made some notes of people on these lists that I particularly like and such. Just a cool little reminder that others' lives aren't always what they seem (celebrity or no) and many people make good decisions and keep them up!