Notices

when to go to A&E

Old 04-24-2016, 02:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

when to go to A&E

Hey folks. I've been lurking for a while but I've been swinging in and out of binges, which makes communication hard. I know my drinking is bad - on a heavy night, I put away anything between 20-40 units. Most days it's around 10-15 units, interspersed with days where I try not to drink but I shift pretty bad on those days between generalised, horrible flu-like symptoms and malaise with all over trembling, into tremors and surreal anxiety states where it's like I'm dreaming and my skin is crawling and I get these hard, full body twitches. I'm involved with the local addiction services and I'm attending a pre-detox group. I went through an in-patient detox last year but things spun out of control again pretty fast, so another detox and rehab is looking like my best option.

If a withdrawal-related seizure is suspected, should I go to A&E? To my knowledge, I've never had one, except recently I've been having some pretty intense blackouts, including this weird memory of producing a moan, falling on the floor, convulsing and losing consciousness. I sometimes wake up because I'm shaking violently but I stop shaking so hard when I come to. I know losing control of your bladder is an indication of a fit but that's only happened once or twice in the past fifteen years and only when I've been indescribably wasted.

My local hospital has had a lot of funding cut and a massive surge of attendances in the past couple of months, so much so it's had a press release asking people to stay away except in extreme circumstances, with waiting times of upwards of six hours. I've been taken there a hell of a lot over the past couple of years because of other alcohol-related issues and I'm sure they're as sick of me as I am of being turfed there by disdainful paramedics and wasting a bed and time required by people who aren't addicts. I know that ideally, medical professionals should treat addicts with as much respect and concern as any other patient but in the real world, in my experience, we're viewed as self-inflected casualties and time wasters, so I'm hesitant now to try to access these services because I ain't sure if it's really necessary.

Advice or just making a connection would be valued.
Old 04-24-2016, 02:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I would say to go when you feel you are in danger.
Old 04-24-2016, 02:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Doesn't sound like you should be detoxing without medical supervision, it can be dangerous. Are you on the waiting list for a detox? If so, have they given you any advice as to what you should be doing while you're waiting?
Old 04-24-2016, 03:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think you should go to the hospital. I have had a few ER trips due to heart issues, and when an ambulance was called they took me right in. I'm not sure how bad you are, but calling 911 might be an option.
Old 04-24-2016, 03:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm relatively okay right now. I've had a bottle of wine, which is about enough to level me out. I agree I shouldn't detox without medical supervision - I've just gone onto a waiting list. They've told me to try to limit my drinking to the smallest amount possible to keep myself out of withdrawal, and they want me to attend the groups. I missed one last week cause I was in bad shape. It's difficult to regulate the amount I drink since I often can't control myself once I've started putting them away.
Old 04-24-2016, 03:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I echo what least said, if you feel you're in danger then go to A&E.

I was in a similar situation when I was on the waiting list for detox. Like you, I also found it difficult to stop drinking once I'd started. All I can say is, keep turning up to the support groups when you can, keep those withdrawal symptoms at bay while you're not medically detoxing, and hang in there. I know it doesn't feel like it right now but it'll come around sooner than you think.
Old 04-24-2016, 04:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think that point would be different for everybody - but if you feel concerned or in any danger A& E is as good a place to get professional help as anywhere else.

Better to be safe than sorry.
D