Notices

15 months sober and....

Old 04-23-2016, 06:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

15 months sober and....

Hello all
I have 15 months sober and I would not trade it. I don't wish to drink. Life has been better in many ways.
Before, long before I was an alcoholic I was diagnosed with panic disorder, anxiety disorder, generalized anxiety, and depression.
I will say that for a small sweet time that the alcohol masked this. But then it didn't. When I went sober this last time, I was forthright with my doctor about everything including alcohold. he helped me with my detox. We also started an SSRI to help with depression, and it was supposed to have a side effect of dealing with the panic/anxiety.
After many many months of muscling through the anxiety attacks and talking to him about it, he is wanting to give me a low dose benzo for PRN purposes only. I said no because I am terrified of any new additctions.
I see a psychologist to work on cognitive behavioural therapy. It is somewhat helpful but does not address the major panic that can leave me debilitated for 2 or more days.
I don't know what else to do. I don't want the benzo but I don't want to lose days. Is there anyone that can relate?
Did you try homeopathic/naturopathic remedies that kept you off of medications?
Please be clear, I am NOT looking for meds or any delusions to meds. I know who i am. I am an addict that had not abused in 15 months. That does not mean that I have the ability to CONROL anything.
If you found alternatives to help with depresion/anxiety/panic then I want to hear from you!!
Please help. My dr did not see how benzos (klonazapan) would interfere with my alcohol abstinence.. I see it clearly.
Thank you SR community
Old 04-23-2016, 06:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 15 months Irnldy001

The thing thats worked best for me with anxiety is breathing exercises

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...echniques.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...techniqes.html

D
Old 04-23-2016, 06:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you Dee
As a part of my CBT I have breathing and muscle clenching and relaxing techniques that I use daily. I find this helpful for lower level anxiety.
When the panic attack hits, it's full body. I dont sleep, and I also experience (please forgive me for this) gastric emptying where I am on the toilet for about 24 hours. Breathing and muscle exercise do not help.
I have tried a few herbals from the local health shop, but nothing.
I'm willing to do anything to keep me off of any form of 'med' intervention.
I am considering a 30 day mindfulness yoga retreat this summer while I am on summer holiday, but very expensive at 12000 US
Old 04-23-2016, 06:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I guess no one else.
Seeing psychologist monday and starting with a naturopath dr that was advised by an AAer that I know. I hope to make new strides soon.
to be clear, I suffered from this for 20 years before I became an alcoholic. I never found a good answer then, but I am utterly devoted to finding an answer now. In the first few swipes at sobriety I drank to drown the panic and then it was worse the next day. I will not go back there.
Old 04-23-2016, 07:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have GAD and PTSD.....which when screaming is a nightmare. Exercise and yoga. Did I say yoga? Yoga. It works miracles. The deep breathing with the postures, which are designed to relax, relieve tension and increase blood flow to the brain, are wonderful. I know I am a broken record with respect to yoga, but it is that good.

You don't need to spend 12000. Say what? You could buy your own instructor for that. How about massage? Acupuncture? My late hub did it while under his chemo, which caused terrible anxiety and it seemed to help.
Old 04-23-2016, 07:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Congrats on 15 months!

I don't have much to add that would be helpful, but I just wanted to say that I think it is really great that you are putting your sobriety first and are on high-alert for a new addiction. I completely understand why adding a benzo would be a frightening concept.

I agree that Yoga, though- would be great. If your area has a few different studios, you may find an instructor that has experience with anxiety reduction and that "gets" you.
Old 04-23-2016, 07:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Just a Girl Trying to Make It...

Ask your naturopathic doctor about L-Theanine, my psychiatrist suggested it for anxiety this week. And yes, yoga...I just started two weeks ago and it helps anxiety as well, especially the breathing you learn.
Old 04-23-2016, 10:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yoga ...helps everything x but find a good teacher!
Old 04-24-2016, 03:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congratulations on 15 months sober
Old 04-24-2016, 06:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi irnoldy. I feel for you and your dilemma.
I have perdosal experience with SSRIs, Benzos and Homeopathy.
While I put sobriety number one in my life; which has improved my life tenfold and my family. I tackle each issue seperately down the ladder.
Currently I am weaning off of my SSRI with my Drs advice and monitoring. My goal is to be SSRI free.
Currently I take a benzo (which i have been taking for 9 years) for my GAD. I take it when I feel an anxiety attack coming. I also take it every night before bed to deal with my Tinnitus. Since sobriety day 0 i have found my use of bezos to be dropping. Ive never abused them, but i an aptly aware of what can happen.
As for homeopathy i have found relative success for certain symptoms. Although not anxiety related i take homeopathy when i feel my immune system weakening and it is incredibly effective.

My advice is to remain calm, educate yourself, and listen to your body. There are many forms if external products that can help issues... but the best advice comes from within. Your body and mind speaks to you (maybe not on English) but very precisely.
Once I started listening (sobriety) my body and health and life have rewarded ne for taking care of myself.