Notices

New here!

Old 04-22-2016, 06:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here!

Hello everyone I'm on day 5 of no alcohol and this is probably the longest I've gone!! I have been drinking between a bottle to bottle and a half of wine every night for the past year straight!!!! I have attempted to quit quite a few times in the past 5 months but couldn't get past day 2!!!! This time I am reaching out to you all to help keep me on track!!!! I feel really tired throughout the day. Does that get better and is it just part of the process? Also around 4 pm - 6 :30 pm I have major cravings!!! Once it hits 7 I'm okay it seems. Anyone else feel the same way and what works for you all? I would really like to check in daily to keep me accountable!!!!
Old 04-22-2016, 06:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum, for me it took about a month for the system to get back on track which was everything from sleep to eating, first couple of weeks I would nap in the afternoon.

One thing many of us found worked for us and something that is almost enforced in Detox centres where I live, is that we have a plan to stay sober, it helps us in difficult situations and includes everything from exercise (walking in my case with my dog) to making new non-drinking friends.

Wishing you the best and have a great weekend.

Andrew
Old 04-22-2016, 06:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family and congrats on five days sober! Keep going, it gets better.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR Jenny! The first couple of weeks can really be all over the map physically, but it will improve with time. If the fatigue is something that's worrisome don't be afraid to see your doctor and have a checkup, it's always a good idea when quitting.

Regarding cravings and certain times of the day, try and make plans to do something different that you might not have done before. Take a walk, read a book, spend some time here on SR reading, just have it planned out ahead of time. Idle time is always when the cravings/addictive thoughts creep back in.

Have you been following any official/formal sobriety plan of any kind? That can definitely help as well.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome. Congrats on day 5. Any physical addiction you may have has probably passed. Its now a psychological game. If you are alcoholic you have habituated your brain to crave alcohol. Hungry? Alcohol. Lonely? Alcohol. Tired, angry, happy, stressed, sad....you get my point. I crave alcohol late in the day too. If I eat and hydrate it passes quickly. Exercise is great for staving off cravings as well. After having some sober time, start thinking about the 'whys' of your drinking. Why the need to self medicate?
Old 04-22-2016, 07:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome.

I have also tried to quit quite a few times and would give up on day 2.

Day 6 today for me .. physically I am feeling good. My mind still is obsessed with the idea of drinking .. but that makes sense .. it has been programmed for years to think about the next drink and to seek a drink for the solution to any problem.

The part of our brains that want to drink are going to have to be dragged kicking and screaming to shore by the part of us that doesn't want to die.

It's going to be worth it .. no one on this forum who has stopped drinking for a significant amount of time regrets their decision. They have escaped a prison and are so happy they did.

Lets join them.
Old 04-22-2016, 07:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hello Jenny!
Stop in often!
Old 04-22-2016, 10:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Jenny, welcome! I can sure relate, wine was my thing and around 5 - 6 pm was the difficult time. In the early weeks/months, I made sure I was somewhere "safe" doing something alcohol-free during that time of the day. I attended AA meetings most days at 6. On the other days, I scheduled a walk or a class or other non-drinking activity.

A plan is the key ... after a few months, that early evening time slot got much easier, and now I don't even think about it. But early on, it was important to have a plan each day when I got up, for how I was going to stay sober that day.
Old 04-22-2016, 10:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Jennygrl
Old 04-22-2016, 11:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Welcome Jenny.
Old 04-22-2016, 01:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jenny, Welcome!

Good job on Day 5! I think you will start to feel less tired soon.

I found early evening, right after supper, the hardest time of the day for me. So, I started going out for long walks. It helped me feel better physically and also to reconnect to my neighborhood.
Old 04-22-2016, 03:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Jenny I'm still pretty new here too. Day 24 for me and still tired in the evenings but so much better than before. Welcome and keep going!
Old 04-22-2016, 03:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to meet you, Jenny. 5 days is wonderful. I'm glad you've made the decision to change your life for the better - this is a great place to talk things over.
Old 04-22-2016, 03:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Jenny

Yeah the fatigue is 'a thing'...try and keep as active as you can...it's different for everyone but I felt better after a month or so...

If you're concerned, you can always see your Dr

Like others have said, varying your routine in your own personal 'witching hour' when you used to drink is a great dea.

There's a few more good ideas here too:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

D
Old 04-22-2016, 06:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome! Late afternoon my blood sugar would drop and I'd crave even worse. In sobriety I eat something sweet or drink some orange juice. Hope that helps some.
Old 04-22-2016, 09:23 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone!!!! I am going to map out a plan for when I'm most tempted! I never thought to do that in the past and that may have been why I was not successful! I also know that up until I recently quit I was not quite ready to admit that I could NEVER drink again!!! I plan to check in daily or at least every other day!!!
Thank you all!!!
Old 04-22-2016, 09:40 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Jennygrl, 5 days sober is just FANTASTIC, congratulations. I quit thousands of times and now I have finally done it. Been quit 6 years in July, and it's as great of an achievement as I've ever had. You'll do it too, rootin for ya.
Old 04-22-2016, 09:52 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Jenny and welcome!

I was similar to yourself.hit the wine after a hard day at work.

It was breaking out of the habit of having a drink in my hand, having a plan is a sure thing.

After stopping, it's the recovery what keeps you stopped. Having all the right tools to call them up for each weakness, craving. I found great support here at SR .
Old 04-23-2016, 01:41 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Jenny!!
Old 04-24-2016, 05:44 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Day 7

Day 7 and I woke up feeling great!!!! Yesterday I was less tired and didn't constantly think about not drinking!!!! I did feel a small urge around 5 but kept busy with the family and it passed. I know I have a ways to go but I feel good about staying sober this time!!! Thanks for the continued support!!! I will keep checking in!