Notices

Ugh... And I'm proud of myself

Old 04-22-2016, 05:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ugh... And I'm proud of myself

It feels like every time I talk to someone about my crazy schedule lately their reaction is "get a nice bottle of wine" or "you need something stronger than Diet Coke."

No, no I don't.

I laugh it off and change the subject but it's frustrating that that is such the norm in our society. But I'm proud of myself for staying strong in my conviction in the face of everything on my plate.
Old 04-22-2016, 05:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ICanDoBetter View Post
It feels like every time I talk to someone about my crazy schedule lately their reaction is "get a nice bottle of wine" or "you need something stronger than Diet Coke."

No, no I don't.

I laugh it off and change the subject but it's frustrating that that is rich the norm in our society. But I'm proud of myself for staying strong in my conviction in the face of everything on my plate.
I hear that. I also notice that almost every song I hear on the radio mentions alcohol. Never really noticed that before. Lol.
Be strong. You don't need wine to relax. You got this 😊
Old 04-22-2016, 05:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey (hug)

remember that if they don't know that you have a drinking problem, they are offering up something that works for a lot of people who are not alchoholics.

I keep getting invited to "social events" for people at work to "bond" outside of work. These events are great and important .... but I suspect that very few of the people are alcoholic, so having a drink is part of the thing that happens.

The organizer is someone who knows I'm struggling (since I turned my self in as drunk at work and she helped me do the right thing and keep my job). But the venue is geared toward the group, not my personal issue.

And people often are kind hearted but just don't know about our issues (I mean, why should they?). I can't tell you how many times I receive a bottle of wine for Christmas or a box of sweets or cookies! And I am also diabetic. Sometimes people don't even know you have the issue, and if they do they may still not realize the things you have to do different.

In most ways we are all the same as human beings, but each person has their own struggle and those who don't know us well may make suggestions (often kind hearted) that aren't helpful.

I try to just accept the "spirit" of the comment and move on. And it sounds like you get that you can't let it be an excuse for the next drink.

I'm proud of you for being strong!

Old 04-22-2016, 07:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

yep, most people simply don't understand addiction. To them having "a few drinks" to relax is actually a perfectly normal and acceptable thing to do. Laughing it off is the best route, glad you were able to do so!
Old 04-22-2016, 08:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've had a lot of that lately.... and I tell them, Hey, Remember me, we've talked about this, I DON'T DRINK!

Typical response is... Oh yeah, sorry for you. Sucks for you. (These people are problem drinkers- seems like everyone in my industry drinks like fish).

Good job sticking to it!
Old 04-22-2016, 10:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Excellent post ICDB
Old 04-22-2016, 11:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh yes know that one! Lol
Old 04-22-2016, 02:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Just this afternoon coworkers were joking about emergency whiskey bottles. Gah. I walked away.
Old 04-23-2016, 07:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

"It feels like every time I talk to someone about my crazy schedule lately their reaction is "get a nice bottle of wine" or "you need something stronger than Diet Coke." "

Yes you do. It's called Diet Pepsi.

~Bunnez
Old 04-23-2016, 10:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bunnezjp View Post
"It feels like every time I talk to someone about my crazy schedule lately their reaction is "get a nice bottle of wine" or "you need something stronger than Diet Coke." " Yes you do. It's called Diet Pepsi. ~Bunnez
lol :-)