Notices

When sad things happen in the world

Old 04-21-2016, 12:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

When sad things happen in the world

How do you cope? I guess you have to accept and grieve.
Old 04-21-2016, 12:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Lonelywombat67 View Post
How do you cope? I guess you have to accept and grieve.
Exactly. Just like how most of the world handles it.
Old 04-21-2016, 12:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Acceptance and grieving is certainly necessary to deal with life. Leaning on others helps too and talking about things. Counseling and therapy can help when you aren't able to get to that acceptance on your own.
Old 04-21-2016, 12:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

You always have to accept and grieve, all alcohol or drugs do is make you wait longer ... they don't eliminate the acceptance and grieving.
Old 04-21-2016, 02:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sad things do happen. And bad things happen to good people. I guess its just the way of the world. As an addict it is so important to learn coping mechanisms....pretty much for everything. I don't even know how to cope when good things happen I also have trouble with regulating my emotions....I can at times have reactions to small things that are way out of proportion. Or no reaction to big things when a reaction is appropriate and even necessary. Learning to feel, regulate my responses and cope is part of recovery for me. Its part of acceptance.

I read in your other thread that you were sad about Prince. I was somewhat of a fan in the 80's. His death almost feels like the death of part of my youth....like if he died I guess I'm truly old. Wow. Just made that all about me Hang in there!
Old 04-21-2016, 02:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Be sure to take good care of yourself during times of grief.

Grief is, for lack of a better word...strenous. Especially when we don't have drugs and alcohol to numb the pain. It's vital to take care of ourselves with healthy foods, plenty of water, and plenty of rest, during hard times.

Regards
Old 04-21-2016, 02:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Lean on your friends lonelywombat

D
Old 04-21-2016, 03:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Grief unfortunately is something I know far too much about. Whether I dealt well with it or not I guess the future will tell.

There has never been a day in over two years that I have not been in a profound state of grief. Everyday is the same. I miss my daughter and it feels like a piece of my soul has been ripped out of me.

With that being said I have grown although the cost was very high. Here are a few things I have learned:

Hold on to the certainty that things will get better.

Grief is normal. You have to go through it. There are just no short cuts

It is OK to be happy when you can be. You do not need to live the life of a martyr

Lean on the people who care about you. If you read through my past posts you will see that I have a melt down every month or two. There are days when we get overwhelmed and that is OK.

Rejoice in this world the Lord ha made and be happy. We were meant to be happy and not sad

Professional help and support groups are a a good thing.

The deep friendships I made in AA carried me through some very dark times

Faith in God. As high as the heavens are above the earth my ways are above your ways. There is no blame just acceptance.

You have to force yourself to get better. A wise person here on SR recommended I look at pictures of happier times. It hurt like hell but there was so much healing

Being OK with the fact that it is never going to be OK. Grief is always there but that does not mean I can not have a rich full life.

Realize that the majority of the world gets through grief without alcohol and so can I