Notices

Commitment

Old 04-21-2016, 09:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Commitment

I realize I have a problem. I know it's not going to be easy. All I have to do is not take the first sip. I will not drink the poison anymore. I have to want to be sober more than I want to drink. I never want to feel the way I did and still do today. I don't want to miss half of a beautiful day. I am making a commitment to not drink. I am strong and can get thru this.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Jillian, making a firm commitment is so important.

You can do this!
Old 04-21-2016, 09:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's hard work but my attitude looking back is if I can do it I believe anyone can.

Thoughts are with you

Andrew
Old 04-21-2016, 10:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

That is a very positive statement for yourself Jillian very nice you can do this
Old 04-21-2016, 10:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
quat

You are right and believe you are.
It won't be easy , but it is simple. You can get thru this part, and it will get better, believe that too .
Rootin for ya
Great job making the commitment, stay strong stay resolved
Old 04-21-2016, 10:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I need to be better aware of my emotions. I am irritable right now. Working on changing my attitude. Thanks guys.
Old 04-21-2016, 11:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Right on Jillian
Old 04-21-2016, 02:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Already proving to be difficult. All I can think about is sipping a beer. Urg!
Old 04-21-2016, 02:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Commitment is crucial. But it's just one step in the journey, one piece of the puzzle to long term sobriety. What other pieces do you have in place?
Old 04-21-2016, 02:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Commitment is great. I'd be wary of depending on will power to get you through this though. It's our willfulness that tended to get us in this message in the first place, and it can soon drag us back. I've found acceptance stood me in better stead than self-will. Acceptance of the cravings, of the feelings, of things not always going my way, and of people not always being how it would suit me for them to be.

Have you read the threads about making a plan yet. (Dee has a cracker). Making a sobriety plan and using it has helped many of us. It's worth spending to help time doing one.

Glad you're here and looking towards a sober future.
Old 04-21-2016, 02:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

J,

Try to look at your situation like this....

You are a drug addict....addicted to alcohol...Physically and mentally....

Like a heroin addict....or a crack head....

The physical part takes about 2 weeks to a month to get through...

The mental part takes months, years....a lifetime to over come.

Once the desire for the euphoric stupor is established...everything can cause the crave....and relapse.

When/if we decide we can take it no more....we begin to fight for our lives back.

Living sober is new to me...346 days clean after being addicted for 45 years.

It is a whole new world.

Alcohol is poison. Don't believe the hype.
Old 04-21-2016, 02:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I do have a plan. Following thru is the harder part.

I've made it so far today without a drink. I've eaten pretty healthy today too. I had too because I felt like hell this morning. But I'm about to mess up the good diet with some Taco Bell. Better than beer!
Old 04-21-2016, 02:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

What's your plan look like Jillian?

D
Old 04-21-2016, 04:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
What's your plan look like Jillian? D
Weekly meetings and working the steps
Obviously logging on here
Being aware of my emotions and actions
Exercise and good diet

This is just a foundation

I've also been watching/listening to you tube videos on how to quit/alcoholism.

I am focusing on my health. Ive done so much damage to my body, and I don't want to leave this world too soon. This is a topic for another thread, but lately I've been thinking (worrying). about life and death a lot. And what happens afterwards...
Old 04-21-2016, 09:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

One of the things I found useful when working out my plan, and
adding to it, was being aware of the HALT triggers and thinking about what I could put into my days to avoid them cropping up, and also, emergency action to take when they did crop up anyway. Hungry Angry Lonely Tired. Also, each of the 12-steps seems to have given me new insight that has meant new things, even if it's just a passage or quote written in the back of my diary that I can read in a a particular situation. Prayer and meditation have become increasingly important to me. Between meetings I've found that listening to AA speakers helped. Daily contact with my sponsor or close AA friends, even if just in the form of a text.
My plan has evolved as I've become more self-aware and have trialled different things.

When you say 'weekly' meetings, do you mean you're intending to go to one meeting a week? If so, could you research some others to go to? One a week would be spreading the butter very thin. Do you have a sponsor yet?

My plans have also include things like changing routes, alternative activities for those times that we would usually have been hitting the bar or bottle, and how to deal with certain people and the inevitable questions about my not drinking. Escape strategy's have also featured on my plan in different forms for different social occasions. All this stuff might seem like overkill, but I'm trying to change my hardwired reactions to life, and also, at the start, was feeling things and with an intensity that was new to me. I DID feel like my anger could physically make me ill. I didn't know what to do with myself when shame and self pity struck, and every fibre of me screamed out for more of the same comfort and cushioning I'd been using for years. I needed to be prepared. And now I don't care if I sound like a girl scout. This is the day to day stuff that keeps me sober.

When I've struggled to think how I might cope with a certain situation, I've found that folks on here have been great at making suggestions of how they managed similar things. From family gatherings at Christmas, to a Hen weekend in Berlin. I'm so grateful for their imput.
Old 04-22-2016, 02:19 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

Stick with it Jillian xx you done great getting through yesterday
Old 04-22-2016, 05:34 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm up and not hungover! Hubby had a few beers last night but I didn't; that's a first! (Sorry if I'm repeating myself) it's Friday and rainy here and I'm determined not to drink. This weekend is supposed to be beautiful, and I was to experience it sober.

Beccybean, just one meeting a week. Our church has one weekly meeting on Tuesdays. I could branch out and go to AA at a different location, but for now, I'm just going to stick to Tuesday's.

I really appreciate everyone here for advice and encouragement.

Here's to another day free
Old 04-22-2016, 09:05 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Well, if you're only going to one meeting I'd suggest making sure that you stay in touch with other ladies from the fellowship throughout the week. Also, it's worth giving the speaker recordings a go. I find this site pretty good. http://www.recoveryaudio.orfavourites Sandy Beach is one of my favourites.