Notices

Class of April 2016 Support Thread Part 3

Old 04-24-2016, 07:10 AM
  # 161 (permalink)  

Jumping into the thread.

Today is my Day 3 - Started off a little rocky but the sun is shining. Which ain't all bad. Headache is starting to fade and going to make some breakfast.

I appreciate and need this site and pray I wake up tomorrow feeling better (and sober)!
Old 04-24-2016, 07:14 AM
  # 162 (permalink)  

Welcome easy2slip!

I hope your headache goes away after you eat! You should feel great tomorrow.
Old 04-24-2016, 07:19 AM
  # 163 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suzie89 View Post
Hi EFC and welcome!! Congrats on Day 3. How are you feeling? What things are you focusing on to stay sober?
feeling good thanks, first 24 hrs was rough but feel v positive
Old 04-24-2016, 07:37 AM
  # 164 (permalink)  

Day 23. Welcome to all of the new people! Glad you are here!

I've been home from Oregon since Wednesday night and have been soooo tired. I've checked in on the 24 hour thread but have missed you guys. Getting caught up now.

My trip was great. I stuck by my friend who I was staying with like glue. She has been sober 10 years and very supportive. The last day I was there I was supposed to go out to lunch with my sister before she went to work. She showed up hung over and almost unrecognizable. She told me on the phone that since my dad died she has been drinking a lot..but I had no idea. It was heart breaking and I am very worried about her. She ended up calling in sick for work and layed on the couch for 3 hours because she had too much anxiety to drive home. I automatically switched into codependent care taker mode and it just drained me. I also could empathize with her because I have been there...many times.

Glad to be home and getting caught up on rest and quiet. Going from not seeing a single person out here and only the sound of the river to people everywhere was a little overwhelming..

Hope everyone is having a great weekend. And remember..don't drink. No matter what.
Old 04-24-2016, 08:34 AM
  # 165 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KarenOskie View Post
Don't give up Winslow and Jan and anyone else who may have relapsed. I know from experience, it can take many tries. I am hoping for you and praying for you. Today is fourteen days for me. I had SO many day ones, and many several days and couple weeks and at one time two years! It takes what it takes.
I am still not feeling good. Two weeks and still not feeling good! That sucks. I wonder if there's something else wrong, too. I'm foggy headed and can't get anything done. I'm just letting stuff go, little stuff that I absolutely have to do like pay bills and clean my house. I just want to lay in bed and read. Still not calling anyone, either. I am going to meetings, but the past couple days I've just suffered through them. Tired is not the word, I think I'm depressed. That just sucks. I should be so happy right now! I'm going to have to do something about it right away. But I don't know what. I am going to work, but just drudging through the days, no spunk at all.
Sometimes it can take many weeks for your body and brain to get balanced after a transition to sobriety. I read an article that said after 2 weeks the brain Has made repairs to itself but it can take months for it to truly get back to where it should be, depending on your drinking beforehand. There's some good articles if you google glutamate and gaba. Those are two most affected neurotransmitters. But of course everything in the brain takes a hit. I'm almost 2 weeks also and still feel foggy. I know it'll take some time considering how bad my drinking was prior to quitting this time.
You'll get there, lady! You're on the right track.
Old 04-24-2016, 08:48 AM
  # 166 (permalink)  

Tati, I'm sorry to hear about all your anxiety. I agree with what Dee said.
Do you think your anxiety is high because you're dealing with your emotions right now instead of drinking them away??

Karen, good luck in ATL!!! That sounds TOUGH!!! You can do it. Get a good plan beforehand. I can't even go to things like that when I've got a week in. I'm so fragile and any big party, birthday, happy hour, etc. throws me into relapse. I'm just too weak at this stage. Any chance you can make something up and not go? Or plan to get dolled up and then just make an appearance and skip out early??
I'll be rootin for ya, babe!!
Old 04-24-2016, 09:43 AM
  # 167 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. Checking in on day one. Trying to find some things to do differently this time around so that I can make it stick. Its a weekend day so that would usually mean getting drunk this afternoon. There is no booze in the house and I have a bunch of household tasks to accomplish, so focusing on that for now.
Old 04-24-2016, 10:25 AM
  # 168 (permalink)  

Welcome Ducrider!
Old 04-24-2016, 11:05 AM
  # 169 (permalink)  

Welcome Ducrider!

Checking in, it's still Sunday morning here. Watched part of a movie last night, but we couldn't stay awake past 10. Woke up early and feeling good. A little bit foggy though, to be honest.

It's been a while since I've abstained from alcohol for this long (just a week tonight, but hey, not bad). I don't think it would have happened if I hadn't posted here. So thanks for that!
Old 04-24-2016, 11:16 AM
  # 170 (permalink)  

Congrats Joer!! A week is great!
Old 04-24-2016, 11:59 AM
  # 171 (permalink)  

Thanks Midwest!

Karen - regarding your work trip to Atlanta. I personally have never been impressed with anyone who's been drinking, especially not some so called big wig smelling of booze

Stick to club soda and you'll be the smartest person in the room!
Old 04-24-2016, 12:32 PM
  # 172 (permalink)  

Checking in on this beautiful Sunday. Been working my tail off outside all day, so it is nice to come inside and relax for a little bit.

I made a tough decision earlier. A friend of mine who I haven't seen in a long time wanted to get together today and hang out, but couldn't meet up until almost 8pm and wants to "have a beer", which always means at least 6.

Although I know he would be supportive if I said I wasn't drinking, just being in a place that late that is serving alcohol and watching other people throw back those cold beers... I know I would be setting myself up for failure if I went. I turned down the invitation and I'm planning on going to a meeting tonight instead.
Old 04-24-2016, 01:19 PM
  # 173 (permalink)  

Well, I had over week, and drank yesterday. So, its back to square one for me. I was feeling so good, now Im just so sad and depressed with myself. I got very angry over some situations at my house, and caved in. Believe me, its NEVER worth it. Need to find a better way to deal with my anger and resentments.

Hope everyone is having a great, sober day.
Old 04-24-2016, 01:50 PM
  # 174 (permalink)  

TIme2Focus- I think you made a great decision! Enjoy your meeting.

Maximus- glad you came back here! I have started over again countless times too.
Old 04-24-2016, 02:01 PM
  # 175 (permalink)  

Thanks Midwest. I will be glad when this day is done .
Old 04-24-2016, 02:18 PM
  # 176 (permalink)  

Morning Class

Into Monday morning.....crashed into bed 9pm last night...slept 9 hours solid.
Up this morning for quick cleanup and organise as have a dinner guest tonight. Hope it won't be a problem....she likes a drink. Tho we can be all sober and adult too...and it is only Monday night.
Check in later....sober day everybody. Keep it going....we all need today sober and well....

Later
Old 04-24-2016, 02:29 PM
  # 177 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by maximus97 View Post
Well, I had over week, and drank yesterday. So, its back to square one for me. I was feeling so good, now Im just so sad and depressed with myself. I got very angry over some situations at my house, and caved in. Believe me, its NEVER worth it. Need to find a better way to deal with my anger and resentments.

Hope everyone is having a great, sober day.
I had something push me over the edge yesterday too. I too need to find a better way to deal with my emotions. I have serious anger issues that get out of control when I drink. I was very wronged by an ex and I ended up sending him like a million hate texts....totally regret it.....and feel very ashamed..but regret is a useless emotion so I need to use it as motivation to not drink. I feel your pain.
Old 04-24-2016, 02:30 PM
  # 178 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Tati I'm sorry that your family has bought, and is still bringing you so much frustration.

I know I reached a point where I had to accept I couldn't make other people do what I wanted them them to do - I'm simply not that powerful...

But what I can do is, over time, change my reactions - and I can stop myself from reacting to that frustration in self destructive ways, like drinking and drugs?

D
It's hard to accept, because if my mom gets sick. I will have to take care of her by myself, or worse put her into a nursing home. I've been down that road soooo many times. She says i'm paranoid, and i'm like you're not paranoid ENOUGH. She doesn't wanna give up her cancer sticks because nothing bad has happened to her..........Yet. I told her she's pushing her luck. If I can sit with these uncomfortable feelings and intense anxiety, then she can give up her cigs. My grams used to smoke 3 packs a day and she quit cold turkey at 59. My mom is about to be 60. It's TIME. (I understand what you're saying though)

I agree with you. Thats why I'm not giving in. Even though i've been incredibly anxious I haven't been craving alcohol. I don't wanna get drunk. I hate the person I turn into when i'm drunk. I just want peace of mind I guess.
Old 04-24-2016, 02:32 PM
  # 179 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Time2Focus View Post
Checking in on this beautiful Sunday. Been working my tail off outside all day, so it is nice to come inside and relax for a little bit.

I made a tough decision earlier. A friend of mine who I haven't seen in a long time wanted to get together today and hang out, but couldn't meet up until almost 8pm and wants to "have a beer", which always means at least 6.

Although I know he would be supportive if I said I wasn't drinking, just being in a place that late that is serving alcohol and watching other people throw back those cold beers... I know I would be setting myself up for failure if I went. I turned down the invitation and I'm planning on going to a meeting tonight instead.

Good Job!!! I find that avoiding tempting situations really helps .... whatever it takes to stay on track....If there's alcohol, I'll always be tempted to drink it...
Old 04-24-2016, 02:38 PM
  # 180 (permalink)  

Welcome wildchild!