Notices

Getting Old- A "Higher Power"?

Old 04-21-2016, 05:51 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by wpainterw View Post
Dee: Your saying you cheat death with monotonous regularity is rather Oscar Wildean and reminds me of Lady Bracknell in "The Importance of Being Ernest" who replied to a man who sought her daughter's hand who, when asked about his parents, said that he had "lost" both his parents. The old geezer, Lady Bracknell, replied, "To lose one parent is a misfortune. To lose both parents sounds like carelessness!" Humorously sardonic. Wilde, satirizing the Church of England, has a Bishop saying "Whatever made you think that being Bishop had anything to do with religion".
Apparently, Dee, you live somewhere in Australia or New Zealand. Thus you must contain some English genes from way back. Were any of your ancestors sent from England to Botany Bay? If so, for what offense?

W
I'm a Wildean fan Bill, tho I'm just as likely to stir some Marx in there - Groucho, not Karl.

I'm Australian but lol, no not convict stock - those guys polarise opinion - you'll either get a punch in the nose for asking, or those guys are treated like your Pilgrim Fathers these days

My forebears were but poor simple folk who emigrated from Germany, England and Ireland in the mid 19th century

The convicts in my family are of more recent vintage - but privacy dictates I leave that there lol...

D
Old 04-21-2016, 08:17 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm a Wildean fan Bill, tho I'm just as likely to stir some Marx in there - Groucho, not Karl.

I'm Australian but lol, no not convict stock - those guys polarise opinion - you'll either get a punch in the nose for asking, or those guys are treated like your Pilgrim Fathers these days

My forebears were but poor simple folk who emigrated from Germany, England and Ireland in the mid 19th century

The convicts in my family are of more recent vintage - but privacy dictates I leave that there lol...

:

D

Dee: German, English and Irish. That's my mother's side of the family. A very explosive combination! My grandmother on my mother's side was arrested, booked and mugged and I assume briefly held in custody for having sponsored a symphony concert to be held on Sunday. She was finally found not guilty as it was held that the law was unconstitutional. This was the Spring of 1927, when I was born. In the U.S. being mugged and booked, and thrown briefly in the slammer is sometimes a sign of character and commitment. And sometimes you meet some "interesting" people there (as the Chinese inscrutably say).

Bill
Old 04-21-2016, 09:40 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wpainterw View Post
Dee: German, English and Irish. That's my mother's side of the family. A very explosive combination! My grandmother on my mother's side was arrested, booked and mugged and I assume briefly held in custody for having sponsored a symphony concert to be held on Sunday. She was finally found not guilty as it was held that the law was unconstitutional. This was the Spring of 1927, when I was born. In the U.S. being mugged and booked, and thrown briefly in the slammer is sometimes a sign of character and commitment. And sometimes you meet some "interesting" people there (as the Chinese inscrutably say).

Bill
Dee: We have punch in the nose folks over here in the U.S. One of them happens to be running for President.
May I inquire where in Australia you reside? Have you any alcoholic aborigines, like up near Ayer's Rock? Do they take any other addictive substances in rituals, for example? Can their dreams predict the outcome of our Presidential election? If so, that would be most helpful!

Bill
Old 04-21-2016, 03:11 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

I live in Queensland Bill - it's on the eastern coast at the top. Steve Irwin country

There are now very few Aboriginal people who live a traditional life - certainly not where I live, in suburbia anyway. No crocodiles here either

D
Old 04-21-2016, 04:46 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
orangutan

Wishing you a very happy upcoming 89th birthday!

Old 04-21-2016, 08:18 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I live in Queensland Bill - it's on the eastern coast at the top. Steve Irwin country

There are now very few Aboriginal people who live a traditional life - certainly not where I live, in suburbia anyway. No crocodiles here either

D
Dee: Nonetheless, if you go a bit farther north and cross the Straits, you reach New Guinea, where, when hunger strikes, they used to eat people, particularly Yanks like Michael Rockefeller. Yum! Yum! My compliments to the chef! Michael was reportedly searching for "bispoles", a New Guinea version of an ancestral totem pole with an enormous phallic symbol at the top, all carved out of wood. The Metropolitan Museum in New York has a fine collection of Bispoles in a room dedicated to Michael Rockefeller. Thus the savages of New Guinea venerated those whom we call our "elders" and whom I sometimes refer to as "geezers". If we make a totem pole of SoberRecovery "Elders" you will no doubt figure prominently thereon. Aren't you pleased? We shall put you farther down, well away from the phallic symbol at the top (unless of course you choose otherwise).

Bill.