Notices

High and Low Weekender April 15th Part 3

Old 04-20-2016, 06:15 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Okay, folks, I don't usually ask for prayers, but I need you all pray that I hear about the job today. The waiting is driving me absolutely nuts and really messing with my head. Amazing what that kind of stress does to a person's psyche. I'm thinking all sorts of bad things about myself and expecting bad things around every corner. It's also a constant reminder of my past behaviors coming back to haunt me. It really sucks.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:20 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

good day all... part 3 early, so I'm in on hump day, no fishing today, back to house work and yard work...
I have two cans of 'bear' spray... the problem with bear spray is that people buy it not knowing how to use it. It only works really well at short range, so not only will you be smelling peppers, you'll be smelling something else...

I must say that when I was fishing in Yellowstone a few years ago in some off the beaten path locations, I had my bear spray clipped to my vest like a pistol ready for quick action. And I actually practiced drawing it... and I looked over my shoulder a lot - which may have contributed to several missed fish... yeah, I was paranoid... lots of sign

my public service info post:

The National Park Rangers are advising hikers in Glacier National Park and other Rocky Mountain parks to be alert for bears and take extra precautions to avoid an encounter.
They advise park visitors to wear little bells on their clothes so they make noise when hiking. The bell noise allows bears to hear them coming from a distance and not be startled by a hiker accidentally sneaking up on them. This might cause a bear to charge.
Visitors should also carry a pepper spray can just in case a bear is encountered. Spraying the pepper into the air will irritate the bear's sensitive nose and it will run away.
It is also a good idea to keep an eye out for fresh bear scat so you have an idea if bears are in the area. People should be able to recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear scat.
Black bear droppings are smaller and often contain berries, leaves, and possibly bits of fur. Grizzly bear droppings tend to contain small bells and smell of pepper.

Seriously: If anyone purchases bear spray and travels in bear country, if you don't spend some time going through the tutorials and learning how to use it, you've wasted your money - if not your life. You may only have seconds to deploy it... most bear encounters are 'surprises' by both you and the bear. On some of our hikes I was constantly talking loud and yelling "Where are you bear?" I **** you not. We were in some very active areas. I felt like I was being watched too much...
Old 04-20-2016, 06:25 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

A Classic, Nons!

Seinfeld covered this Topic...

- George Has A GF ~ Seinfeld -

Good Vibes being radiated out to Marty through the Ether...
Old 04-20-2016, 06:27 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Hang in there ML... don't let the stress over take you. You've done your part and all signs point toward you getting this position. Hoping for the best for you.

Priceless line NONS

haha, I watched the Seinfeld clip...
Now, how can you tell when a guy is married? When he goes shopping by himself and doesn't even react when the tampons go through the check out scanner. For you newly married guys, the first few times may seem like a traumatic experience.
In time, it will be no different than picking up milk and bread...
Old 04-20-2016, 06:32 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

That's a great Seinfeld clip, MM.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:36 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Good morning eveyone! HAPPY hump day-
Marty, lots of prayers, crossed fingers, and positive vibes and wishes for you to find out about the job today. Waiting, wondering and worrying must be wearing you down...hang in there.
the scenery was beautiful in Revenant. ..lucky you jsbodhi to live there.
ok....time to get moving. No time for dog walk this morning cause I have an early appointment at the office. I should be able to take them at lunch time.
Let's make this a great day!
See you all later.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:39 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Crossing my fingers and toes Marty!
Old 04-20-2016, 06:41 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
Black bear droppings are smaller and often contain berries, leaves, and possibly bits of fur. Grizzly bear droppings tend to contain small bells and smell of pepper.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:43 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Prayers and positive thoughts coming your way Marty.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:10 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
Now, how can you tell when a guy is married? When he goes shopping by himself and doesn't even react when the tampons go through the check out scanner. For you newly married guys, the first few times may seem like a traumatic experience.
In time, it will be no different than picking up milk and bread...
Back in 2007 we were in Las Vegas for the night en route to the Grand Canyon. My family all went to bed and I went to play poker (and drink). While at the table I received a text from Mrs. Nons asking me to buy tampons (for our daughter) before I came up to the room.

I didn't want to do it, but orders is orders. En route to the hotel gift shop I spotted a (ahem...) working girl. I approached her and asked if she would consider buying tampons for me for $20. She declined stating she had previously been thrown off property and security always hung out near the gift shop.

I took myself to the gift shop and located the tampons. There were 2 kinds and I was clueless. There was a woman nearby, so I asked her which she thought I should get. She looked at me like I was the creepiest guy ever and walked away.

I picked one and proceeded (as inconspicuously as possible) to checkout. I put them on the counter and muttered those are for my daughter. The very inebriated woman holding a beer and a cigarette in line behind me hugged me awkwardly from the side and said, "Awwwwww, you're a good Dad!" at the top of her voice, drawing a lot of attention. I grabbed them and hurriedly left.

I picked the wrong ones of course, and my wife exchanged them in the morning.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:24 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Do your best

Afternoon weekenders
Old 04-20-2016, 07:40 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

I got lucky and didn't have to pick up tampons until I was older and had been married for years. I did tell the Ex that she better tell me exactly what she wanted so I wouldn't have to guess, which I'm sure I would guessed wrong.
More embarrassing to me was going to pick up adult diapers for my mother, I did it because she was mom but I really wanted out of the store.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:41 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Good stories everyone. I'm not likely to go where there are bears but now I feel more prepared should I do so.

Having breakfast and then I need to clean up around this dump.

Marty, I'm sorry you're feeling worried. I'm keeping you in my thoughts
Old 04-20-2016, 08:01 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

a quick check in before I head out with...
Brain's Tip Of The Day

I just refilled my ice makers. Instead of paying for a bag of ice for a daily outing, I use old big size plastic yogurt containers or cottage cheese containers. Any round plastic container with a lid works. Fill them with water, snap on the lid and stick em in the freezer. Only fill about 3/4 way to top on the tall ones and make sure the are no ridges to keep the ice from slipping out easily. Once frozen, warm outside and remove the little 'block' of ice and store in freezer. If you are going on a weekend camping trip, make up a bunch ahead of time. They last longer than a bag of ice chips. And with practice you can get the perfect size blocks of ice for packing your cooler.
I've also used square 'tupperware' containers to make ice. They pack more efficiently as a liner around your perishables.
Another thing I do is freeze plastic bottles of water. Use them as 'ice' to keep things cold in the cooler. When they are "unthawed", just drink em. Saves space and performs a dual function.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:07 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Awww Marty, how frustrating. I hope you hear something soon.

Jen, I'm sorry you were getting upset last night.

I am going to go direct where to best install the kitchen equipment at the new place shortly..

I think I would like to have a very quiet day today after that. Yesterday I was with my buddy the entire day. That's a lot for me. I can really only handle that with a romantic partner usually. He is a friend from the program, he quietly worked on his stuff while I did my menu work, but it still felt like an exchange of energy that tired me out a bit.

I'm a solitary girl. Also a control freak. Also I wanted to smoke in my car but I didn't bc he doesn't smoke. Also my tummy does weird things and I need the bathroom A LOT and I get randomly weak and nauseous from Crohn's and it almost creates a mood swing... the fear from the pain makes me go quiet. I just prefer to be on my own so no one thinks I'm unstable in my moods. It's hard to explain what's going on inside of me, and how quickly it can come and go. But it is always frightening.

Yeah, I like to be on my own a lot. I try to have a lot of human connection but I need to curate that time according to how I'm feeling, which is very unpredictable right now. Tough stuff.

Just getting that out, but I'm in good spirits overall. xoxo
Old 04-20-2016, 08:39 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Oh, Melina, I hear you about the tummy troubles and the mood thing. Back when I was having issues like that a lot, I'd go quiet sometimes and people would think I was mad or upset or something. It was hard to explain that I was in pain in my guts and willing it to go away or at least settle down enough to make it to the bathroom. I'd usually just say my stomach was upset, and then I'd disappear for extended periods. I'm sure people thought all sorts of things were going on - like I was a junkie and needed a fix or something. Invisible diseases are the worst. (((Melina)))
Old 04-20-2016, 08:54 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Prayers going up Marty! and yes...invisible diseases are the worse. I totally get it Melina.

Well...work is relatively slow this morning but we will be slammed this afternoon so I'm trying to get as much done to prepare as possible. Thinking about going to Target at lunch but it's raining so blah!

I always think it's sweet when I see a guy buying tampons! Aww!

I'm having a craving for onion rings and cole slaw and hush puppies! Chicken express used to have the best hush puppies but they're not on the menu anymore not sure where to even get hush puppies nowadays.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:00 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Here's the thing guys at least when you are buying tampons no one thinks they are for you!! Be a woman buying them and everyone knows what time of month it is!
Old 04-20-2016, 10:04 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Other Indicators are when the Gal gets all disproportionately pissed at the Casher when they need a bit more Money to ring her out.

When a Handful of Change gets thrown at the innocent Cashier, I can figger out the rest.

Pot-filled 'Tampons' just hit the Market here. There's no High-inducing THC, however. Only CBD Compounds to help reduce 'those' Symptoms. As already used in Salves and Patches for Arthritis; Back Pain; and so on...

'Tis an interesting World 'round here these Days; even on Days other than 4/20.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:15 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Fingers crossed Marty, can you ask them?

Melina, let's hope you get some remission soon

Funny story Nons, i have never had any problem buying tampons, comes of living in female dominated households I guess

I don't think bear repellant is easily available in Central London but so far I have avoided them

Still at work meh!