Notices

Day 0, that was unexpected

Old 04-19-2016, 04:34 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

I really hope you'll call someone be it family friends or your Dr and get some help.

The idea there's nothing you can do about this reminds me a lot of how you used to post when you were drinking, Mike.

It's just wrong on so many levels.

D
Old 04-19-2016, 04:37 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thank you all. I did read each and every post. I'm going to rest. Let it all go away. I'll be back when I have it sorted out.
Old 04-19-2016, 04:38 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

There are medical articles etc. About a woman being more likely to relapse due to her monthly cycle. Hormones.

I always used that. Well I can quit for three weeks but I know that my cycle is going to cause a relapse.

There are contributing factors in each of our lives that increase the likelihood of relapse, it's up to us to NOT pick up. To want to be sober more than we want to drink.

You are stronger than this and you know it. Hard as nails.

Call someone, like now.
Old 04-19-2016, 04:38 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Ah Mike, I went through something similar and too relapsed, where your at at the moment was bloody frightening for me. Get some rest Mike, call your doctor tomorrow to get this sorted. Hope to have you back here tomorrow x Dont give up.... please dont give up - you can do this.
Old 04-19-2016, 04:40 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I really hope you'll call someone be it family friends or your Dr and get some help.

The idea there's nothing you can do about this reminds me a lot of how you used to post when you were drinking, Mike.

It's just wrong on so many levels.

D
I completely agree.
Old 04-19-2016, 04:59 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I will be alright. Give me some time.
Old 04-19-2016, 05:02 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Mike, the best thing to do is call your doctor as you mentioned you have his direct number and pour the beer out. I am sure you are aware drinking and taking seroquel can drive you into a pretty severe depressive state.

Wishing you the best
Andrew
Old 04-19-2016, 05:29 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Seroquel and alcohol, I'm surprised your awake. They gave it to me in detox -rehab supposedly off label to stop my mind from spinning so I could sleep. Of course I was completely out of my mind at the time. It just made me hungry and sleepy. My GP wouldn't give me another script for it after I got out. Maybe I liked it too much. I guess it did help me not to give a **** at the time and I kind of needed that at the time.
I hope you do get some help. That combination can't be too healthy. You can get through this but you really need to let the doc know how the meds are effecting you.
Old 04-19-2016, 05:46 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by esinger View Post
Seroquel and alcohol, I'm surprised your awake. They gave it to me in detox -rehab supposedly off label to stop my mind from spinning so I could sleep. Of course I was completely out of my mind at the time. It just made me hungry and sleepy. My GP wouldn't give me another script for it after I got out. Maybe I liked it too much. I guess it did help me not to give a **** at the time and I kind of needed that at the time.
I hope you do get some help. That combination can't be too healthy. You can get through this but you really need to let the doc know how the meds are effecting you.
I will. I'll be fine. And extreme stress keeps you awake on alcohol plus seroquel. Once I come down, I will have a serious talk with my doctor. She will have a difficult consult. I will ask her why she prescribed seroquel to a recovered alcoholic while it triggers the desire to drink. She will not have an easy consult.
Old 04-19-2016, 05:50 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
I will. I'll be fine. And extreme stress keeps you awake on alcohol plus seroquel. Once I come down, I will have a serious talk with my doctor. She will have a difficult consult. I will ask her why she prescribed seroquel to a recovered alcoholic while it triggers the desire to drink. She will not have an easy consult.
Actually Mike according to my therapist, doctor and my better half it does the opposite, it's considered a safe drug to those recovering. I have been on it for 10 weeks and never think of drinking and I was one at the top of the food chain when it came to consumption.....just a friendly heads up
Old 04-19-2016, 05:51 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I'd suggest you call now and stop drinking.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:07 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ALinNS View Post
Actually Mike according to my therapist, doctor and my better half it does the opposite, it's considered a safe drug to those recovering. I have been on it for 10 weeks and never think of drinking and I was one at the top of the food chain when it came to consumption.....just a friendly heads up
I'm very sensitive to it. 50 mg causes anxiety and instability. 100 mg, which I'm on now, causes vasovagal syncopy, something I have already. Doses above that throw me into a panic that makes me unable to leave a place where I can lay down.

It is not a drug for me. Which is why it caused me to drink. I don't get the anxiety from it when I drink and most importantly, I don't faint.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:10 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
I'd suggest you call now and stop drinking.
It'll be alright. After 10+ years of a wide range of medication and alcohol, I know what I'm doing.

Funny thing, last time I was at my doctor's, I knew more about medication than she did.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:19 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hi Mike
I'm sorry you're drinking. I hope you stop soon.

I am going to be straight with you. I don't think the Seroquel is making you drink. Now you could be having some unusual reaction but since you've taken it before, and you're on a very low dose, it seems unlikely. Really it should just be making you sleep. Obviously I'm not a dr. Don't blame the medical community....what you need is a dr and soon.
Pls go to the ER and get help. Don't take anymore Seroquel while drinking. As far as getting addicted to it? Hmmmm. It doesn't cause a 'high'. If it is taken for sleep it can be habit forming. But at 50 mg for what? 10 days? You're not addicted.. If you are taking the extended release tablets they do stay in your system longer....

Anyway, get help. Please.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:20 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
I'm very sensitive to it. 50 mg causes anxiety and instability. 100 mg, which I'm on now, causes vasovagal syncopy, something I have already. Doses above that throw me into a panic that makes me unable to leave a place where I can lay down.

It is not a drug for me. Which is why it caused me to drink. I don't get the anxiety from it when I drink and most importantly, I don't faint.
I don't understand. You've been on this before, with bad results, yet you agreed to start taking it again?

I used to post here when drunk too. I was always embarrassed to read what I said the next day when I was sober.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:27 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
EndGame

I'm not going to quibble with you about your personal experience with Seroquel. But some facts are in order.

Seroquel is indicated for certain types of schizophrenia and bipolar depression. It helps to manage hallucinations, delusions and racing thoughts, among other psychotic symptoms. At lower doses, it has a mildly sedative effect. It is not listed as a controlled substance. It is, for many rehabs in the States, a first-line drug for addicts and alcoholics who suffer from insomnia, often at doses well above 100mg. It is also indicated as a mood stabilizer for both mania and depression.

Mixing alcohol with Seroquel is a potentially lethal combination, and the two should never be taken together. Among much else, it can intensify known side effects of Seroquel. You stated that, in the past, when you've mixed alcohol and Seroquel, that you've awakened while sleeping as a result of your not breathing. Yet, after you increased the dose, you went ahead and started drinking anyway. You don't need to be a physician to know that this is a bad combination. You can blame your doctor for trusting that you wouldn't drink while taking Seroquel or after upping the dose, but I doubt that she'll ever make that mistake again.

I've had severe and chronic insomnia for my entire life. I was offered Seroquel in rehab in order to help me sleep. I started at 50mg., then 100 and then to 150. It helped me to sleep, kept my anxiety in check, and the last thing I wanted to do was to drink. I went up to 200mg. during my follow-up outpatient treatment, and suffered no ill effects. I've since come back down to 100mg. Working on my sobriety has helped me a great deal in terms of working on my insomnia and other issues. But I still need some help to fall asleep.

We always remember, and often focus on, the exceptional events. Because they're exceptional. Beyond what you say here, we have no way of knowing what you were feeling after you increased your dose. But to draw a direct link between you doctor's advice, or your increasing your dose as an explanation in defense of your relapse will leave you in a position in which you've learned nothing about what lead up to your picking up the drink.

If you're to achieve long-term sobriety, then you need to be honest with yourself.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:31 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frickaflip233 View Post
Hi Mike
I'm sorry you're drinking. I hope you stop soon.

I am going to be straight with you. I don't think the Seroquel is making you drink. Now you could be having some unusual reaction but since you've taken it before, and you're on a very low dose, it seems unlikely. Really it should just be making you sleep. Obviously I'm not a dr. Don't blame the medical community....what you need is a dr and soon.
Pls go to the ER and get help. Don't take anymore Seroquel while drinking. As far as getting addicted to it? Hmmmm. It doesn't cause a 'high'. If it is taken for sleep it can be habit forming. But at 50 mg for what? 10 days? You're not addicted.. If you are taking the extended release tablets they do stay in your system longer....

Anyway, get help. Please.
It is the direct reason for me drinking. I'm not addicted to S. But its effects both shut down all my defenses that I had against drinking and it causes appetite, which in my cause got directed to beer.

As for the time I've been taking it. I know the first couple of days are the "potentially wet your bed" days and being unable to speak normally. The first one fortunately didn't happy. The second one did but it's going away.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:33 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I don't understand. You've been on this before, with bad results, yet you agreed to start taking it again?

I used to post here when drunk too. I was always embarrassed to read what I said the next day when I was sober.
Î had horrible side-effects but in the long run it took away my psychosis. It did for a decade. Now it's coming back. I'm hoping for another decade psychosis-free.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:37 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Okay Mike. Stop taking it. Pretty simple. Go see your dr or find another. You said that you took the drug in the past with good results so this is a bit of a switch.

I get that drugs work differently with different chemistries. I take 100mg of seroquil each night for sleep and for ptsd. Aside from making me sleep it has no other side effects. I do not take the extended release.....it stays in my system too long.
Seroquil can increase carb cravings. If you do continue taking it, buy some cookies instead of beer.
Hang in there. Or better yet, go to the ER.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:39 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

so from your posts you are saying that at 1:35 pm today you got the ok from your doc to up your dose, and by 3:14 pm you are back from borrowing money from your neighbors and procuring alcohol and back home, drunk, and posting and that the seroquel did all that???? in one and a half HOURS?