Notices

I'm posting today, not just reading

Old 04-18-2016, 11:40 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

joer, a lot of us had, and sometimes still have, a big debate in our heads. And speaking (or typing) these thoughts out loud can cause the debate to get louder ... it's normal, we understand.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:43 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi joer, no need to delete any posts. Many very good people here. Two things come to mind, one, my father's drinking habits are much like yours and he would climb the highest mountain to get those few drinks at the end of each day. This lead to a successful executive career, yet I still believe he is an alcoholic. Two, my own drinking also regressed over time, but I finally had to ditch it. Hope you stick around.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:44 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Yep, I certainly thought I wasn't one of "those" drunks. Have a great job, make good money, wasn't waking up in ditches (at least the last 25 years. Before that there were some instances, but my inner voice could always chalk it up as being young and stupid).

Keep the posts up and stay with us!
Old 04-18-2016, 11:51 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joer53 View Post
Sorry, my brain is racing a bit knowing this post is live.

Perhaps it's anxiety taking over my thought process. It's like I'm having a conversation with myself, debating the things I expressed, criticizing the intents and purposes of posting. It's all too much for me.

I may just delete it because I'm having trouble concentrating at work. If I do delete it, that's why.
I can totally relate to this. I just recently posted for the first time and I felt so anxious and vulnerable afterwards. "What have I gotten myself into?" "Are my issues more 'real' now that I have written about them for all to see?" "Are people going to pressure me?" My head felt like a bees nest that just got whacked. Racing thoughts abound. I think it's normal.
Old 04-18-2016, 12:20 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
under new management

I guess users can't delete their own posts. You have to ask a moderator to delete it for you. And I can't PM a moderator until I have 5 posts. Oh well, I'll leave it alone.

The big debate happening in my head is that I seem to have unconsciously conceived the post under the guise of not having an alcohol problem. I do. There is no doubt at all about that.

I don't know why I had to write about not getting into trouble or not having health problems. I'm yelling at myself because it almost comes across as if I think I'm better than others.

I'm sorry. I don't mean it that way. I think it's just my inner addict trying to convince myself that it's not as bad as it could be.

Okay, going to stop obsessing and get back to work.
Welcome!!!

Don't worry about saying or not saying the right thing, the folks here at SR are very good at reading between the lines.

You will find an abundance of understanding and support here, this is a great place for you to have landed.

Old 04-18-2016, 01:22 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome!

Don't worry about deleting posts or anything. Just hang around some and read a bit, post if you feel like it.

We can't diagnose you or give you medical advice over the Internet but we can share our own experiences and insights.

My personal opinion is that if you ask yourself "do I have a problem with alcohol" you very well might. It is at least worth thinking about!
Old 04-18-2016, 02:12 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hi joer53, I'm reallly glad you decided to post this! There really is no need to worry since that is exactly what SR is for!

There is no one-size-fits-all with having issues...if it bothers you and you have a problem with it, then it's a problem. The fact that you are worried about it or obsessing about your post speaks to the truth that it is a problem to you...that is all that really matters.

I'm sure you can lasso this problem and SR is a great place for support!
Old 04-18-2016, 03:08 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

I agree with amazingjoy, Joe.

Some people use the term "alcoholic" because it's meaningful to them and helps them to address their problem. Others use it as a shortcut here even though it doesn't quite fit their self-perception. Still others don't need that definition or doesn't feel that the word fits their approach to addressing the problem.

Any which way you slice it, this is the group that's going to understand and get on your side.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:51 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hi Joe, welcome! You are among people who understand. We may all have different stories, but we are all here for the same reason. This is an amazing community, and I am so happy and thankful to be a part of it. I am glad you found us, please stick around!
Old 04-18-2016, 07:18 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Hi, Joe-

I think your first post was great; you spelled out the battle a lot of us have in our heads very nicely. You will find great support here; hope to see you posting and around the forums!
Old 04-18-2016, 07:24 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Joer,
i'm glad you're here.
glad you're not waiting til you have the DUI or lost job or whatever you think the marker of a 'true problem' is.

and no need to apologize; it didn't sound like you think you're better, it sounds only like a way to excuse/justify further ongoing drinking.
i spent decades there. always nowhere near as bad as...you name it.

it's great you're looking honestly.

for me, the truth was in the fact that i couldn't not drink.
lack of control.

stick around.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:12 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

I guess users can't delete their own posts. You have to ask a moderator to delete it for you. And I can't PM a moderator until I have 5 posts. Oh well, I'll leave it alone.

The big debate happening in my head is that I seem to have unconsciously conceived the post under the guise of not having an alcohol problem. I do. There is no doubt at all about that.

I don't know why I had to write about not getting into trouble or not having health problems. I'm yelling at myself because it almost comes across as if I think I'm better than others.

I'm sorry. I don't mean it that way. I think it's just my inner addict trying to convince myself that it's not as bad as it could be.

Okay, going to stop obsessing and get back to work.
Like others have said, I don;t think there's anyone here who hasn't had that 'am I' question...and I'd wager most of us had that question reoccur a few times...

there's absolutely nothing wrong with anything you posted

For me it's not about volume - it's about how those glasses make me feel -and how much I obsess over them...and how much I 'need' them..

If you feel the drinks are taking you, rather than you taking a drink, you're in the right place

and yeah...

Members can't delete their own posts, and it's good to remember Forum Staff generally don't delete members posts either.

You can edit your own post for up to 15 mins from posting tho

D