Notices

Starting over again...

Old 04-18-2016, 06:43 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Good to meet you, Jenn. I'm really glad you decided to talk things over - this is a great place for encouragement.

I really wanted to be a social drinker. I thought life would be so dull if I could never have a drop. The opposite happened - I became so dependent on it that nothing was ever fun anymore. I was always in a fog, & unpredictable things happened every time it was in my system. It was much better to get free. I'm glad you're taking a look at what it's doing to your life.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:50 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Welcome Jenn!
Old 04-18-2016, 08:44 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

A cruise is probably a bad plan after your 77 days. Re-boozing is a given which you already seem to have planned in.

Alternatively, if you change the package, as mentioned, it could possibly be a good time to keep going. I hear the food on those things is awesome and plentiful, plus there are loads of entertainments and distractions, not to mention beautiful scenery if you're not sea-sickness prone as I am. Nothing to do but let others meet your needs. That part sounds great, but the ship thing sounds totally horrid to me and I would drink just to stay sane until I hit ground. If I'm going to throw up, may as well dull the senses.

I'm not one to talk because I'm not on the straight and narrow myself, but if I were and had done as well as you guys, I would be looking to anything that would keep me there and dump anything that would mess that up if I truly wanted not drinking to be my reality. I'm working on that, but if I had 77 days under my belt I would scream to my future or past self "Don't do it, kiddo! Even if you have to give up the cruise. What's a stupid cruise if it's only going to undermine the truly important goals you have set for yourself and want to be consistent about?" Of course, being prone to seasickness, that may not count. Still, if it were a spa, or some other lovely opportunity where others would cater to my every need, I (think) I would use it to move forward instead of backward, and a carte blanche to drink wouldn't do that at all. It will most likely put you back to where you were when you decided on the 77 days. Oh, if I could take the cruise and stay in port!

77 days of not drinking is better than 77 days drinking, but why blow what you've accomplished? Everyone has said that you will just go back to square one before you know it. Think very very hard on whether that is what you want for your future. I got barely anywhere before I went back to drinking because I failed to think about it for a minute somewhere and I don't even know what the thought process was that messed me up and now I'm working my way back. Your mind is already set to resume drinking so how will you fare better? I hope you will, though. Think. Think forward. "Play the cruise tape through." Live the dream like so many here have and are advising you.

p.s. Your mom won't be there, will she? More time to get even stronger.

Last edited by Fervor; 04-18-2016 at 08:45 PM. Reason: change
Old 04-19-2016, 01:41 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

For an alcohlic of my type, the 'beverage' package in reality would be a suicide package. How sane would I be " well I bought this suicide package so I guess I'll use it anyway. No sense in wasting it.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:40 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Day 2. Feel great.

Thank you for all the responses to my 1st post yesterday. You are all right about the beverage package in the cruise. It is a free pass to drink again and gives me something to look forward to.

Today is day 2 sober. I feel great. I slept well, as I actually slept, not passed out. I got up early and started right in on paperwork I've been neglecting to do for work. Because drinking was more important.

I have a full day of work with clients. Won't drink on the way home today. Won't drink after I get home today. That's the plan 😊

Last night, shortly after my mother got home, she had a few beers and was getting a little huffy toward my 18 year old son about a picnic table I asked him to scrape and paint. Her "mood" was already starting. I saw it immediately and became annoyed. I didn't say anything and had my daughter come downstairs to watch tv with me. My son went to his room to play video games. I can see this being a problem. As it has been before. I may need to buy my own house so I don't feel like we are walking on eggshells. We moved into my mothers house about nine months ago, as she was having difficulties affording her house, taking care of the snow and the summer chores with the yard. So I gave up my place in order to cohabitate with her. It's been wishy washy since then. It's her house, not our house. Even though I pay the entire mortgage myself. Just another stress to cope with, I guess. For now.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:12 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Highest priority right now is staying sober. It will be well worth it. You can still enjoy your cruise without the beverage package. You might even enjoy it more.