Notices

Day 3 and scared

Old 04-19-2016, 11:30 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Hi KittyCat, I know that feeling of slinking around to avoid someone! Good to know you've gotten a sponsor and are taking steps to get and stay sober.
Hugs and good thoughts your way.
Old 04-19-2016, 12:45 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Hi Kittycat, good to hear that you went to that meeting and got a sponsor! I found several AA groups I liked and they helped me to stay on the sober path.

Try not to kick yourself. This is not a moral failure. Just keep on going one day at a time. I still check in on the 24-hour thread every day to commit to another 24 hours sober. Even though I don't ever plan to drink again, making that commitment every day helps me.
Old 04-19-2016, 01:51 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I love you kittycat I haven't read the whole thread yet. I in bad places too. We get to good places together ok?
Old 04-19-2016, 02:13 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Ok. I read a bit more. I have some thoughts.
Do you have a smart phone? I have sober tool app which helped me greatly in early recovery. Highly recommend downloading it. It's great for inspiring messages and useful tips at a touch when you can't reach out and get a response right away. This is where I learned about the relapse ladder. Invaluable.

I also downloaded the journal app called bliss. If you like free and nice user friendly interface with guided prompts this is a helpful tool as well. It is so good for daily gratitude and affirmation and it sets reminders for you to add daily if you like. Also much recommend.

Sponsor is a great tool to have. Although mine is too soft and too early in her own sobriety. I don't like change! I need another one but won't let her go. I've learned enough through meetings that sponsors often learn as much from sponsees as they teach them. I think there is strength in numbers. I was really good at Tattling on av until I wasn't. Then all supports came to a standstill through my own will.

Have you reworked your plan? What about chunking it down to workable daily tasks? Sober tool app
... journaling... touch base with sponsor... checking in here. Etc. Write a daily maintenance list. As soon as you stop doing daily maintenance treat as a relapse and rework the plan.
We are addicts and like instant easy reward. I like things that work without me having to think too much about doing it. We just need to get in the habit of putting in the work before bad habits take over.

Please remind me of this tomorrow, if you like. I will need it.
Old 04-19-2016, 02:23 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey Kitty - seems the problem is you slip away after a while?

maybe calling this sponsor type every day - even tho it might tick you off mightily - might also help remind you daily?

D
Old 04-19-2016, 04:13 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Hey Ds

Delizadee I do use some other apps, a hazelden app called 24 hours as well as one called 12
Step companion. Thanks for your advice, I appreciate it muchly!

Dee, thanks to you too. I am not annoyed at all by the daily contact request, in fact I'm somewhat happy to have a daily checkin planned. I hope with her help I can really solidify my recovery plan this time.

Thank you
Old 04-20-2016, 08:11 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I went to my 2nd AA meeting tonight. This one was a speaker meeting. I liked it, the topic chosen was resentments. Boy I could relate to a lot of what was said on that topic.

I came home and just had a crying fit watching the walking dead (after a main character died.) being that I don't often erupt in tears, it felt kind of good to have a good cry - and one that was not about "me" or my stupid drunken antics.

The hangover has lifted for the most part, literally and figuratively. I plan to keep hitting meetings, I like being around others who are like me. For now it feels like I need that reminder. It's so easy to get stuck in a mindset like, "everybody drinks" or "I'm the ONLY ONE who can't be a normal drinker." Guess I was dead wrong about that

I even told my mom, who is almost one year sober, I've been going to AA. She hasn't asked if I've been drinking. she thinks I've been sober for years, although she's not always attentive to details like that. I told her I was partially inspired to go by her, which is true. She's been going to several meetings a week and speaks very highly of the people and things she's learned there.

I've also been listening to recovery podcasts. None that I've found are super compelling, but they are ok to listen to while I get ready for work.

One day at a time. Day 5 almost done.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:39 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

You're doing some really good sobriety work kitty--keep it up and keep posting.
You can do it