Notices

2nd Dui

Old 04-17-2016, 11:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

2nd Dui

Last Tuesday I received my 2nd DUI. The first time was a wet reckless and I was in denial that I had a problem. These last couple of days I have been attending AA. I'm so scared of thinking about soberity and letting go of all my friends. Not to mention my boyfriend of 3 years is also a heavy drinker and I'm scared of temptation. My soberity is my number one priority but I'm scared I don't have the strength to do this on my own.
Old 04-18-2016, 12:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If you get help from AA (or another program) you won't have to do this on your own. I got help from an addiction counselor. Weekly sessions with her and daily visits to SR.

Your sobriety should be your first priority. Just don't drink, no matter what. You can do this.
Old 04-18-2016, 12:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

You're not alone here givemeareason

I'm glad you've joined us.
SR really helped me stay sober - post as often as you need to
D
Old 04-18-2016, 12:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Givemereason! It's good to have you with us. I know it's scary to make a big change but better days are ahead if you do.
Old 04-18-2016, 01:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree its hard alone, so use us and AA and every other resource you find as much as you can. I'm glad youre here with us
Old 04-18-2016, 02:28 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

DUI's familiar here too. Also got busted twice for dui in the past and lost my licence obviously. I think it's good to learn from these events and not carry too much guilt for it because it already happened and worrying about it isn't going to change anything or help anyone.

I hope you get on track, hopefully sober. Great post.
Old 04-18-2016, 05:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It took me about 2 years (during which I had 5 months of not drinking ) after my 2nd DUI to finally embrace sobriety and change my life for the better. Part of the challenge was the belief that you are expressing; that I'd lose my friends, my life, my self.

Well it turns out I didn't really lose any friends. Some people faded from my life, and I realized they hadnt really fit a self honoring place as friends. Many are still friends, though for some my relationship has shifted.

Ive gained new friends. Most notably; myself.... a friend long neglected and far more important than many illusory friends.

Im sure I would not be able to be in relationship with a heavy drinker... but I urge you not to get too worried about that now. Make the changes you need to make in order to care for yourself and support your sobriety.

If youve gotten two DUIs, then youve gotten away with drunk driving many more times. This is a clear problem, and its not going to get better.

Embrace sobriety though and your entire life will improve in ways you cannot now even imagine.
Old 04-18-2016, 05:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Welcome to SR and what could be the beginning of a new and improved life for you, Givemereason!

I thought my life was pretty much over when I realized I needed to stop drinking, but I found out I was wrong.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sounds like fear is keeping you stuck in a very destructive cycle. Fear of losing your boyfriend, fear of sobriety, fear of losing friends. Fear kept me from doing a lot of things that I knew I needed to do for myself. When I realized that, two things happened. One, it usually turned out that I really had no reason to be afraid at all. My unfounded fear just kept me from seeing the benefits of moving forward. Second, fear kept me locked in a small world, afraid of taking chances, even if it might mean giving up something, like old friends, or fear of building a sober life. Sometimes change means giving up something to get something better. Good luck. John
Old 04-18-2016, 07:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Givemeareason. I too got a DUI and was without a license for a year. Didn't stop me drinking though. Drove drunk again after that as well and luckily didn't kill anyone or get another DUI.

My experience was one of wanting to stop because of how awful my life had become. A stint in a mental ward and the feeling that I was rotting from the inside out.

I wasn't able to stomach AA because I guess it just didn't suit me. I did have some help through attending a weekly group meeting and also being prescribed Antabuse by my doctor so that I *couldn't* drink without serious consequences. It definitely isn't for everyone though and required medical supervision.

You can quit, but you have to be a bit selfish about it. If you're not alive and functional, what good are you to yourself or anyone else? If you truly want to quit alcohol, you need to oppose anything standing in your way. If that means not seeing some people, then you might have to do it.

I hope you decide to quit drinking. But if you aren't ready yet, I hope to see you back here when you are.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Give
Old 04-18-2016, 08:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome