Notices

Interesting Conversation

Old 04-17-2016, 07:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

Interesting Conversation

So i was at a party for my wife's aunt today. She told her cousin that i was about to hit 6 months sober. He came over and told me how amazing he thought that was. He praised me for being able to do it. Then he asked "so when are you going to start drinking again?" I was a bit perplexed by the question. I said "never, that's the idea. That's why I quit!" He looked confused and said "oh, i didnt know if you just wanted to see if you could just go 6 months?" This was crazy to me. Only alcohol, which is so socially accepted, would get a comment and be in a conversation like that. No one goes to someone who quit heroin or coccaine and asks them when they are going to start using again. Hell, even someone who quits smoking isnt asked when they are going to start again. So weird! Lol! Oh well, the journey continues!
Old 04-17-2016, 07:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That is kind of funny when you compare it to other things. If you lost a bunch of weight, no one asks when you're going to gain it back!
That's part of the reason I don't tell people - I'm not hiding it. I think that everyone knows AA, 12 steps and alcoholism. But generally don't really get it and really understand it.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I had the exact same thing happen to me. About 10 months into sobriety (after 3 DUI's, a stint in jail and 6 months remaining without a drivers license) my best friend that I had known since the age of 5 asked me when I was going to start drinking again. He wasn't a big drinker, I just think he didn't understand. He said it looked to him like I just quit one day and never thought about it.

I was surprised, told him I was shooting for never drinking again. Strange, but people who aren't alcoholics have a very hard time relating to it.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Huh, very interesting actually xo
Good thought
Old 04-17-2016, 08:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think sometimes normal drinkers) stop drinking for a month or two, whether it's to lose weight, see how they feel, train for something, whatever. So he probably thought that you stopped drinking for a reason other than that you're an alcoholic.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

I tell people that ask that I just cut down and I drink on special occasions. I tell them I am trying to get in better shape.

It usually ends the conversation. Telling people I quit causes them to pry and ask....what happended?

I try not to make a big deal out of it. I didn't have any issue, that anyone but me knew about, before I quit.

At over 11 months clean, it is a whole new and better world.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Think you handled it really well