SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   I need help (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/389670-i-need-help.html)

RushTogether 04-17-2016 03:23 PM

I need help

I need to step away from the ledge.

My dad was diagnosed with cancer that can't be cured.

My mom/stepdad are moving across the country, and all my brothers are following them.

I'm so incredibly lonely/sad/depressed.

I'm disgusted with the weight I have put on, but instead of doing something about it, I just eat more.

I've been crying for the past hour

I'm about 2 minutes away from walking up to the gas station for booze, and I don't even care.

JD 04-17-2016 03:30 PM

You're going through a rough time right now. But alcohol won't make that any better. Hang in there.

IvanMike 04-17-2016 03:45 PM

We both know that getting loaded isn't going to cure your father or make your family stay where they are.

What kind of recovery support do you have where you are? Do you go to AA or NA meetings? We are masters at isolating, which does us no good and which gives the disease full access to us without interruption.

All feelings pass, it just doesn't feel that way now.

least 04-17-2016 03:50 PM

:hug: Oh, but you do care, or you wouldn't be reaching out here. :hug: I'm sorry for the sad circumstances in your life right now. But you know deep down that drinking isn't going to help. It will actually make things worse. :(

I hope you stay strong and resist the urge to hurt yourself by drinking. :hug:

bandicoot2 04-17-2016 03:51 PM

Rush, I hope you didn't take that walk. And so what if you just ate a bunch of crap...at least you didn't drink. By your sobriety date you have well over a year under your belt so you know drinking won't help you feel better. Please play the tape through and lean into your TEMPORARY crappy and sad mood. It will pass!

If you dad has inoperable cancer he needs you now more than ever. Sober is better than drunk, especially if you need to make decisions on his behalf.

What can you do right now to feel better? Get some fresh air, call or text a friend, take a nice shower or bath, fix a healthy meal, drink some herbal tea, etc?

Take care and keep posting! :grouphug:

Hevyn 04-17-2016 03:58 PM

Rush, please be kind to yourself & don't try to numb your feelings. It leads nowhere - nothing gets resolved - & you're not able to deal with anything when loaded.

I'm sorry about your father - it's terrible - but he'd never want to be the cause of you picking up again.

Go ahead and vent here - we all care. :hug: Please don't drink.

Anna 04-17-2016 04:07 PM

Rush, you came here and posted because you know drinking won't work. You know staying sober and getting through this with a clear head will work. I'm very sorry about your Dad's diagnosis. It's unfortunate that your family is moving across country and I'm sure you feel lonely. I was really lonely too when I stopped drinking because I had pretty much destroyed all my friendships. I lucked out with a volunteer position and it changed my life. Is there something you could do to give back in your community? It could be a chance to feel good about yourself and to meet new and sober people.

Please know that we are here for you.

sugarbear1 04-17-2016 04:23 PM

I'm having rough times, too, but for me, I know that drinking would only make things worse!

You can get through this. Stick with us at SR and keep posting, if you need to.

You are not alone today!

thomas11 04-17-2016 04:30 PM

Rush, I'm sure its a bit overwhelming right now, and I'm very sorry to hear what you are facing. As others have said, drinking will make a difficult situation so much worse. We all know that. post post post if you have to.

overforty 04-17-2016 04:59 PM

Big hugs for you Rush
I'm sorry to hear you feel so bad!
I'm sure there is no need to tell you that drinking will not or will ever help you resolve anything!
But I'm going to say it anyway!
Drinking only leads to more pain!!!
This is one thing we are all experts about on here :)
More hugs for you ((( )))
Stay strong x

Dee74 04-17-2016 04:59 PM

I'm glad you postyed Rush - it gave you a chance to see that you have sup[port here and people do care.
I'm sorry for all those going on in your life - but making terrible things worse by drinking makes no sense whatsoever.

Even if you can't quite believe it right now you do matter and you are worth. Fight that AV :)

Why not check out the Class of April support thread as well? :)

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-2-a-15.html

D

Hevyn 04-17-2016 06:13 PM

Let us know how you're doing, Rush.

Delilah1 04-17-2016 06:22 PM

Hi Rush,

I'm sorry you to hear about your dad, he is going to need you there for support. Don't think about the weight, it can and will come back off, but that is not something you need to add to your stress right now.

Please know you have an entire online community here to listen and support you.

Sending love and hugs your way.

❤️ Delilah

Soberwolf 04-17-2016 10:18 PM

Surround yourself with support the last thing in the world you need right now is alcohol I know this has come as a shock to you but drinking now will only cause you a lifetime of misery

Don't do it Rush, breath, focus, keep reaching out