Notices

so...

Old 04-17-2016, 05:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

so...

Hi. So like all of us i took alot of pride in counting my days. Especially when i got past 10 for me it was such an accomplishment. Yesterday was my birthday and i promised myself thats my last day. I feel like crap drinking. ..it doesnt make me the happy fun who cares about anything type. Just makes me unmotivated and tired. I relapsed on day 3 this time around. Today should be 6. But now its one again... i think instead of counting my days in the beginning im just gonna commit to 24 hours and then when im feeling good i can look back at april 17 and see what day im on. Im not so much worried about the withdrawal im woreied about how to control the anger and frustration am im never normally like frustrated. It all comes back to learning how to cope with feelings that alcohol used to hide. I appreciate everyones support on here and truly look up to all of you for your strength and determination. I loved when i got to a good sober place in my 119 days prior. I felt great,happy ... i would love to fast forward past the beginning part of this journey but the struggle only makes you stronger. Thanks for listening to me vent! I commit to 24 hours
Old 04-17-2016, 05:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hopefull24 View Post
Hi. So like all of us i took alot of pride in counting my days. Especially when i got past 10 for me it was such an accomplishment. Yesterday was my birthday and i promised myself thats my last day. I feel like crap drinking. ..it doesnt make me the happy fun who cares about anything type. Just makes me unmotivated and tired. I relapsed on day 3 this time around. Today should be 6. But now its one again... i think instead of counting my days in the beginning im just gonna commit to 24 hours and then when im feeling good i can look back at april 17 and see what day im on. Im not so much worried about the withdrawal im woreied about how to control the anger and frustration am im never normally like frustrated. It all comes back to learning how to cope with feelings that alcohol used to hide. I appreciate everyones support on here and truly look up to all of you for your strength and determination. I loved when i got to a good sober place in my 119 days prior. I felt great,happy ... i would love to fast forward past the beginning part of this journey but the struggle only makes you stronger. Thanks for listening to me vent! I commit to 24 hours
I have found one day at a time to be a very useful strategy. This time around I committed to getting to 28 days... But each day I committed to that day. It felt far less overwhelming that way. I'm at day 68 today and I still make that commitment for today each say when I wake.
Old 04-17-2016, 05:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you have a good plan. We do have a 24-hour Check in thread in the Newcomers Daily support forum, so maybe you could use that to check in for your 24 hour commitment.

You will be able to manager the anger and negative feelings that you have. It's something you can learn and you won't feel like you do all the time.
Old 04-17-2016, 06:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Count...don't count. But do you really think counting sober days is the reason you drank?
Old 04-17-2016, 07:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello hopeful,

A suggestion that helped me ...

Do a Web Search for Recovery Speaker messages. There are many out there, and most are free. Especially look for messages based on the 12 Steps, and start with Step 1 messages and continue thru Step 12. Listen to a few different messages on each Step.

Another excellent set of Recovery messages is the Joe & Charlie Big Book study. It is a collection of messages, in order, and is available thru this link. You can listen thru your computer, or download and place on a USB Flash Drive or Burn to CD's.
Click the link, it is Free:
Joe & Charlie Big Book Study

It was a lot of dedicated work for me to get FREE, and to stay FREE, and it is SO worth it.

RDBplus3 ... Happy, Joyous and FREE ... and I KNOW U can B 2
Old 04-17-2016, 10:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on 68 that is amazing QUOTE=ICanDoBetter;5909384]I have found one day at a time to be a very useful strategy. This time around I committed to getting to 28 days... But each day I committed to that day. It felt far less overwhelming that way. I'm at day 68 today and I still make that commitment for today each say when I wake.[/QUOTE]
Old 04-17-2016, 10:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Reality...what a concept!

I too find it helpful to post each day in the 24 Hour Connections thread. Sometimes it's all the energy I have to just say I'm in for 24 more..but it helps.

It also helps to not beat yourself up over lapses, but use it as a learning experience, and focus more on what you did when you were successfully sober, rather than rehash the negatives surrounding a lapse.

Give yourself credit for being on this journey to recovery. None of us are perfect but we are all better today than we were before we started recovery.
Old 04-17-2016, 11:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You can stay sober when you want to be sober more than you want to drink.
Old 04-17-2016, 02:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi hopefull24

what kind of a recovery plan do you have?

D
Old 04-17-2016, 07:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi dee, i dont have a plan other then twlling myself im not gonna drink... but then when i make it till night time i say to myself oh ill start tomorrow. ... i want to stay sober and im commited and then i have one thought and it all goes out the window.. i did so well before 119 days now i flip flop between wanting it and learning to deal with reality... feelings emotions ect. It should be very easy i feel like crap when i drink physically so why do i still want it?
Old 04-17-2016, 08:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

hopefull24 Thanks for your post. I'm at 120 days and have a birthday this month. I'm thinking about your post.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Doh, it 130 days. The point is the same. It would be pretty easy to slackoff and have a few on my birthday.
Old 04-17-2016, 10:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

Getting past early sobriety is really important IMO

I know it's hard tough etc but it what's happens with acceptance in the beginning that gives us the strenght resolve and determination to stay sober

If you want this then reach out and stay close with regular posting on SR