Notices

Best plan for getting sober off two bottles wine per night

Old 04-16-2016, 07:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Best plan for getting sober off two bottles wine per night

i want to stop drinking wine but I'm afraid to go cold turkey. It's scary because of the side affects I've read about. I want to taper off but not sure if it is the best way. Has anyone had success using a tapering off plan? I suffer from anxiety sometimes.
Old 04-16-2016, 07:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Serenity Now!

My doctor had me drinking one less beer a week, at the end I told him, whats the point of drinking just one. Didnt work out well for me though.
Old 04-16-2016, 07:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

We can't give you medical advice here LW.

Go see your Dr - they know better than any of us what other health issues you have etc.

They'll give you their professional opinion on whats the best way to go

D
Old 04-16-2016, 08:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I would taper down then taper back up again. For 35 years I was in that pattern.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Def see you doctor. I was given benzos for withdrawal.
Old 04-16-2016, 11:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Tapering is extremely hard to do. Extremely!
And most people aren't successful. And it's no safeguard against very bad withdrawals.
Whatever you decide to do, talk to a Dr. Detox can lead to death if not done properly under medical advice or supervision. Take care and have a plan ready for recovery!
Old 04-17-2016, 01:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

In my own personal opinion this home tapering that keeps coming up sounds much more dangerous and scary that just going cold turkey. I would have no way of knowing though, not being a doctor. I went through a medically supervised detox when I entered rehab and suffered very minimally. Very, very minimally. Can you see your doctor about rehab or at a minimum a supervised detox?
Old 04-17-2016, 01:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I tapered but I did it under medical supervision. Please see a doctor. Then you can get qualified advice on what the best approach would be for you, or can get referred for that.

Tapering has worked for me - this is the longest I've been sober in a decade and I don't intend to start drinking again.

The reason it worked for me was that I used the time tapering to really work on understanding when and why I drank, to put strategies in place for that, and to build up my ability to get through without alcohol. If I'd just reduced the amount I drank, nothing would have changed and it would have been pointless.

Definitely see a doctor, whatever approach you're considering.
Old 04-17-2016, 02:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Chances

I agreeable with the Tapering doesn't work response. Sounds more like a torturous road to failure.

As much as I hate to say and go myself - A doctor's appointment is a must.
That was a hard thing for me to do but I seen a couple of different doctors and it was a good move.

Good luck
Old 04-17-2016, 06:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

All good advice. I don't like my doctor very much right now and need to find a new one. That visit is going to be scary.
Old 04-17-2016, 06:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good luck finding a new dr.
Old 04-17-2016, 06:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I put effort into finding a new doctor that would be good fit for me. Once I found her, I was never anything less than honest. I suffer from depression and anxiety too. I think many of us "self medicated" ourselves with alcohol.....a good doctor will help you with this too.
Old 04-17-2016, 06:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Alcohol biochemically is a depressant and increases anxiety....and then when we start withdrawal, that in turn causes more anxiety...vicious cycle.

Withdrawal is more dangerous with age, so getting help is a great idea. Most doctors are more than happy to help people who are trying actively to improve their health.

You can do this!
Old 04-17-2016, 06:55 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lonelywombat67 View Post
All good advice. I don't like my doctor very much right now and need to find a new one. That visit is going to be scary.
Seeing a doctor to help you with this is the very first step on recovery. I dont know any alcoholic who has gotten sober and stayed sober alone. It is vital you find a doctor whom you trust and have a good relationship with. It takes a huge amount of courage to admit there is a problem, you've already done that! Now to take the next step and admit it to your doctor to get the ball rolling to start your recovery x
Old 04-17-2016, 06:56 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I would encourage anyone who is trying to quit to research and take a high dose b vitamin complex. When I quit the first time I didn't take any supplements to help but I've done research this time and I'm contributing my success this time to all the b vitamins I'm taking. Specifically b 12. B 12 defiency can be a result of alcoholism.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:05 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

When I finally quit for good, I sat down with my Dr first. I told the whole truth - all of it. He had been prescribing me sleeping pills and benzos WHILE I was drinking. I knew going in that he would be horrified to find out that I'd been boozing with the meds he gave.
To my surprise, he was very understanding. He knew that quitting was going to send my anxiety into a wicked spiral. We agreed that I would stop that day - go to AA that night. He gave me ONE benzo to make it through the night. Then we met the next day to discuss the day two plan. On day two I went on an anti-depressant. He gave a very mild drug for one week only, no refills, that allowed me one a day. When that was done, all other meds were off the table.
It was unpleasant for a few weeks, and I also started seeing a psychologist for cognitive behavioural therapy - it helped a TON.
At about a month in, I felt better than I had for years. It took time and patience. I am 15 months sober, and I am on zero medications.
I take vitamins and I am vigilant about diet, especially sugars.
I also work out in some fashion 3-4 times a week. AA is 3-4 times a week - nooners or evenings.
I was at about 2 bottles of wine a night, or substitute with tumblers of bourbon on the rocks or gin. I still have moments of romaticizing the better early days of drinking, but I just let the thoughts come, pray, and let them leave. I am still baffled by alcohol, but as long as I don't take that drink I need not worry.
I have a social life again. I am close to my children. My husband and I talk to each other. Yesterday we finally bought some decorations for the house because I finally felt like it!
Quitting is hard, but so rewarding. If it were easy, none of us would be here!
That's why the super amazing people here can be found at all hours of the day. SUPPORT SUPPORT SUPPORT.
The key for me has been support through doctor, AA, and online. The combination is hard to beat, and frankly, better than any combo I came up with from alcohol.

Please be advised, my Dr did what he felt was best for ME. I am just relating what happenned in my early sobriety. IT IS NOT A PRESCRIPTION OR SUGGESTION. It is my story - you will need to explain your own situation at length and with great honesty to your doctor and he/she will help you with the plan to help you.
Good luck on your journey
Irnldy
Old 04-17-2016, 09:47 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

At the risk of sounding a little harsh, quitting may be unpleasant at first, but not quitting could be lethal. At the very least it will complicate your life and likely your health eventually. There are many ways to quit, pick one that suits you and go for it.
Old 04-17-2016, 11:55 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Tapering never worked for me. I always ended up drinking too much. A medically assisted detox is the best idea.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:01 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I drank about a bottle and a half of wine a night for years. My physical withdrawals were rather minor -- shaky hands for a couple days and peeing a lot -- but the anxiety was difficult. I went to an inpatient rehab and spent 2 nights in detox there, not sure I could do it on my own. They gave me librium, which helped with the anxiety, but that was only for 3-4 days. If you go to a detox facility, you'll be safe and comfortable. Good luck with your decision....keep posting!
Old 04-18-2016, 08:33 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I quit twice using benzos prescribed to me by the doc. They worked GREAT for withdrawals. But I, personally, would feel withdrawals as I started tapering off of them, per dr orders. I drank 3 bottles of wine minimum per night. This last time I quit, 125 days ago, I quit cold turkey. Everyone is different, but for me the fear of withdrawals was way worse than the actual withdrawals. I used (and still use) over the counter ginseng to take some of the edge off and melatonin to help me sleep. I would suggest going to the dr, though. In my case they were very understanding and helpful.