Notices

Best plan for getting sober off two bottles wine per night

Old 04-18-2016, 09:26 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

I tapered this last time that I got sober. It sucked. The only reason that I was able to do it is that my sister flew out here and supervised me while I was doing it. And, she only did that with the agreement that I would go to the emergency room at any point at her discretion if my withdrawal symptoms got dangerous or if she felt that I was unsafe. I wholeheartedly do not suggest that anyone try to taper. If there is a safer alternative, medical detox, inpatient rehab, outpatient medical detox under the direction of a doctor, anything is safer and less painful than tapering. I felt emotionally good knowing that I was finally going through withdrawal for the last time, but physically, it was pure hell. Four days of shakes, anxiety, low grade fever, high blood pressure, nausea, cold sweats (that smelled like a dumpster fire), nightmares, muscle cramps, and I'm sure there are other symptoms that I'm leaving out.

My best advice to you would be to seek medical help with detoxing. Best case scenario with a taper is that you put yourself through hell to get sober. Worst case scenario is you die. And somewhere in the middle is not successfully tapering and continuing to drink.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:41 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lonelywombat67 View Post
i want to stop drinking wine but I'm afraid to go cold turkey. It's scary because of the side affects I've read about. I want to taper off but not sure if it is the best way. Has anyone had success using a tapering off plan? I suffer from anxiety sometimes.
Hi,
I also drank 2 bottles of wine every night, and if I felt like "dessert" I'd pour myself a Bailey's & vodka! Yeah. THat as 3 -1/2 years ago. I was 55. I was very afraid to quit cold turkey on my own. I was admitted to a hospital for detox. The doctor's there said I did the right thing, it can be deadly! I was there for 3 days, I didn't experience any harmful physical symptoms. I kept thinking I "should be" hurting or something . But, it never came.
From Detox, I was driven directly, by my husband, to a Woman's Recovery House, where I stayed for 30 days. CLiche ...but yeah it's true ..the BEST thing I could have done for myself.
I'm fantastic today. Only abstinence will work for alcoholics. I also have a history of Depression/ Anxiety. You aren't alone. Your doctor can recommend the best course of action. You really don't have to suffer, my drinking just made that situation worse...ugh!
Best to you!
Bobbi