Notices

Making my sobriety plan.

Old 04-16-2016, 12:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Making my sobriety plan.

I'm on day 18 for the second time. I've learned my lesson from my last attempt to moderate in that I can't. I can't drink again and i'm reconciled to that now. I'm building a plan for the months ahead to ensure that I protect the sobriety that I know I need to cherish.
My OH is imo a high functioning alcoholic but not at the point of giving up yet. I'm ok with that, I can't make them change until they are ready. It does mean that there is always alcohol in the house which of course makes it that bit harder. I'm going to bed a lot earlier and taking walks and baths in the evening so that I don't have to sit and watch them get drunk. I'm not craving a drink at all yet and am practising daily gratitude. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated ☺
Old 04-16-2016, 01:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow. Hats off to you being sober for 18days thats amazing when you live with heavy drinkers.

Are you in AA at all or another group which sets out a recovery plan?

What I find immensly helpful is a journal, I work my steps there and also write down anything which is bothering me, if I get any triggers - the key for me is identifying why. It is really helping. I attend AA meetings regularly, keep in touch with my sponsor I also have drug and alcoholing counselling too. All is really helping to maintain my sobriety and so far so good - I hope to keep it that way.

I think you are doing right by removing yourself when others are drinking when it becomes uncomfortable, it is really important to establish boundaries for yourself and stick to them. I for example will leave a situation I am uncomfortable with, or end telephone conversations with someone who is drunk (namely my mother) I guess it is about protecting your sobriety at ALL times no matter the cost. Ive had a few touch and go days but by putting my plan into action works.

Im sure others here will be able to add to this x x x x
Old 04-16-2016, 02:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good job I think youl like this

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html
Old 04-16-2016, 02:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on 18 days sober! Keep going, it gets better.
Old 04-16-2016, 02:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations Everydaysabonus...I too practice daily gratitude, listen to inspirational and motivational audiobooks daily, have a vision board, daily affirmations, a journal, healthy diet and exercise, and weekly psychotherapy sessions. Writing this list has suprised me...didn't realise I had collected so many tools for my sobriety kit ☺ wishing you well on the rest of your recovery journey x
Old 04-16-2016, 02:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you to all of you. All great suggestions! I'm not currently doing AA or SMART although i have looked into both. Not because I don't think they are beneficial, I would like to go but i live in a small town on UK. I can't do evenings because i have a small.child to care for and i work when they are at school.
So, I've ordered b9th main boks for those plans plus Under the Influence and a book about Zen enlightenment which i'm.enjoying
I have started a gratitude journal and am counting my blessings on the mornings. I'm already pretty fit but I've added running into my weekly routine and i started Ketogenic diet about 6 weeks ago x
Old 04-16-2016, 02:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Omg typos! That was on my phone. Grr!
Old 04-16-2016, 03:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi everydaysabonus

living with a drinker can be a challenger but it's not a deal breaker. There's always support here 24/7 and, even if you can't get to physical meeting, both AA and SMART have online meetings available, if you're interested in either or both

D
Old 04-16-2016, 03:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi everydaysabonus

living with a drinker can be a challenger but it's not a deal breaker. There's always support here 24/7 and, even if you can't get to physical meeting, both AA and SMART have online meetings available, if you're interested in either or both

D
I need to buy a headset set for SMART at least but yes it is probably something that I will do. It's not a deal breaker it will be hard but I hope that my OH will face his problem head on if I lead by example. If not...well there might be some changes ahead for our family. My kid is really young but she will soon be canny enough to see the wood for the trees and i'm not going to bring her up in that environment so yeah, tough times ahead. That is another reason I want to get a solid plan in place.
Old 04-16-2016, 03:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've done a lot of soul searching in the last couple of weeks and so much more of that to come.