Notices

Lori T and I am an addict and alcoholic

Old 04-15-2016, 09:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lori T and I am an addict and alcoholic

Hi name is Lori and I'm from Maine. I just wanted to introduce myself I'm new to this app. I want to thank you all for being here and if there's any suggestions I'd greatly appreciate it. Also if there's any women that are willing to be temporary online sponsors that would be great thanks
Old 04-15-2016, 09:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Welcome Lori.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Lori - I know you'll find a lot of support here.

I'm not in AA and I'm a guy, but others will be able to help, for sure

D
Old 04-15-2016, 09:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!! :-)
Old 04-15-2016, 11:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Lori. Welcome to the forum.

I'm presuming that you mean a sponsor as in the AA 12-step kind of way. When you're looking for a sponsor, the face to face things is hard, but I know that I couldn't have got to know someone online like I did my sponsor over tea and chats. It was important for her to share her experience strength and hope with me. There was so much of it, doing it online would have been like writing a novel. As much as I value online support, I don't think anything beats having a sponsor that can see my eyes when I'm listening and talking, so she can tell if I'm getting it, or if I'm spinning a line, or if I'm "I'm fine"ing her when actually I need some help with something. Alcoholics are pretty adept at putting a gloss on the truth (or telling out and out lies). Half the time I didn't know I was doing it. The other time I didn't think it was proper fibbing, just a way to keep people happy and not let them down. I would never sponsor someone on line. It's not a personal thing. It's just hard enough face to face. It would be so much harder online.

Asking for help face to face was one of the hardest things I had to do, but it was important that I learned to push my pride aside, and lean into my fear and do just that. It was part of the process for me, and I have heard many others say the same.
I'd also say that it's important that you do the asking, because it's so important to choose someone who 'has what you want '. If you put out a general request on a world wide forum, you're not choosing. If you're not meeting people who you want to ask at the meetings you go to, I'd suggest trying some other meetings. Big Book study meetings (or any of the AA study type meetings) are often a better place to look for sponsorship rather than general share meetings.

I know this response probably isn't what you would like to get, but I didn't want to ignore your post and leave you wondering why you haven't got people jumping to offer you online sponsorship. It really isn't anything personal if that turns out to be the case.

If you're getting involved in a 12-step program it's also worth checking out the 12-step areas on this site (apologies if you've already spotted those, I just remember it took me a while to find all the different areas on here).

Alcoholism-12 Step Support - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Anyway. Welcome to the community.

Last edited by Berrybean; 04-15-2016 at 11:11 PM. Reason: added link to 12 step area
Old 04-15-2016, 11:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You'll find lots of support and good ideas here.
Old 04-16-2016, 01:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome LoriT
Old 04-16-2016, 01:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi & Welcome LoriT