Notices

Self Care

Old 04-15-2016, 05:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Self Care

Hey peoples!

Bunny here... Checking in. Been a rough week for me. Lots going on but I'm still sober. 313 days sober, to be exact. I talked to a woman I admire who has 30 years sobriety and she was a great help. I've been super depressed since everything went down with my sponsor. Totally paranoid, wanted to run away, wanted escape from my head. I've managed brief interludes of feeling "ok." I left work at noon yesterday sobbing. I was a sight to behold... Bawling at my desk, snot pouring out of my nose, shaking, diarrhea and nausea. I left work at 2:30 today to take a walk and clear my head. Anyway, I confided in my 30 years sober friend that I don't feel safe alone with myself and my thoughts and I did it... I asked for help. I wanted to stay off anti depressants and be ok. But she out things into perspective and said "Honey, AA is to help people get sober and live happy healthy lives. No one can help you if you are dead from your own hand... So Whatever you have to do to be ok...do it. Don't drink, don't use, but get yourself some counseling and medication if you need it." So I called a crisis clinic and made an appt. I made a pact with this woman, with myself and with God that if I feel too scared or too low before my outpatient appt. I will go to the ER."

I feel empowered. I've gotten through some of the worst days in recent memory. I feel better. I'm still having crying fits 3-4 times a day but there's help for me if I need it. And I have an appt. on the books for next week.

Tonight I cooked myself a nice dinner ( really hadn't eaten in 3 days), took a hot shower, and am relaxing watching a movie with my heating pad and a box of cookies 😃

Love to all. You've been so supportive.

I'm gonna be ok. Kind of an amazing concept to know hey... I'm gonna be OK!
Old 04-15-2016, 05:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really glad you reached out Bunny

D
Old 04-15-2016, 05:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You're going to be waaay better than okay!

I'm so glad to hear you sound stronger and more upbeat...actually, you sound better than you have for a long time.

Three cheers and a standing ovation to you for giving you the care and respect you deserve and for all these months of sobriety even in the face of it all.

Sweetie, you just rock.
Old 04-15-2016, 05:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Bunny, I think you are doing the right thing. Talking to your dr, considering antidepressants, taking care of yourself is just what you need right now. I think that knowing you can do small, caring things for yourself is going to help you to heal. Be kind to yourself.
Old 04-15-2016, 05:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great job Bunny! To me, reaching out for help is a sign of strength not weakness.
Old 04-15-2016, 05:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Smart move! You accomplished a lot already! Glad things are looking up and you have a plan of action. That's a relief in itself.
Old 04-15-2016, 05:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

So great to hear. It's hard to reach out for help, good on you for doing it!
Old 04-15-2016, 05:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Counseling and antidepressants keep my depression from getting overwhelming. I hope you get the help you need.

Congrats on your sober time!
Old 04-15-2016, 06:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I am really glad you reached out and I like that lady
But she out things into perspective and said "Honey, AA is to help people get sober and live happy healthy lives. No one can help you if you are dead from your own hand... So Whatever you have to do to be ok...do it. Don't drink, don't use, but get yourself some counseling and medication if you need it." So I called a crisis clinic and made an appt. I made a pact with this woman, with myself and with God that if I feel too scared or too low before my outpatient appt. I will go to the ER."
Right on!
Congratulations on 313 days and on not picking up even though you were feeling so down

Be kind to yourself
Old 04-15-2016, 06:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes, you're going to be OK, Bunny. Hugs.

I read with some concern that you'd not eaten in three days. Remember the H in HALT is 'hungry.' (And A is angry, L is lonely and T is tired.)

Please be sure to nourish yourself as part of the self-care you deserve.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

A big part of what is helping me make my sobriety work this time is being in therapy. One would think that being in graduate school to be a therapist would lead me to the conclusion that I need therapy. But, the carpenter's house is always the last one to get fixed... Sometimes, you just have to be selfish and take care of yourself first. My need to fix everyone's lives for them was getting in the way of me asking for the help that I needed.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
under new management

this is great to read bunny!!!!!

I started anti depressants a couple of months ago after years of untreated depression. I can't believe what a difference it has made for me. To think I was so reluctant to try them.

Old 04-15-2016, 09:57 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You are doing great Bunny. The woman with 30 years sobriety sounds great. That other woman was damaging and abusive. Little wonder you have been feeling messed up. Let it go.
Old 04-16-2016, 12:58 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Love, hugs and good wishes to you.
Remember to be so proud of staying sober through this!
xx
Old 04-16-2016, 01:19 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congratulations Bunny x
Old 04-16-2016, 01:28 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Wow. Wow. Your post hit me right in the heart. I got so emotional from reading that, I could feel your pain, and I know from personal experience that what you did was extremely difficult. I am so very proud of you and the strength you've shown here just blows me away. Wow.

Old 04-17-2016, 08:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Dear Bunny, I'm so glad you reached out and asked for help.
BIG HUGS!